Whats in the gut? Do you check it?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by sscharlie, May 20, 2009.

1. sscharlie

sscharlie Well-Known Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    Whenever I keep my fish, If there is something in the gut, I cut it open to see what they have been eaten. Last time I found in the same cat a rubber tube bait holder and a rubber worm on a hook. This was a factory made rubber worm that covered the hook and the leader. I think it was picked up from the bottom because the hook was free inside the gut alone with the tube. I do find gills, crawdads, moss, Frogs and other things I cant figure out for the life of me what it is or was..LOL or GROSS. I do believe it gives us a good idea what the cats are feedin on. Anyway, What are some of the things ya find if ya do check it.

2. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Yea,, I've found some interesting stuff also,, No artificial bait..
    However,, If anyone finds a nice round cut diamond ring,, about .30 CT wt.. Triple fine grade,,, pure clear, in clarity..let me know,,
    #3 had it, didn't deserve it, and ,, a Flatcat might have it.....is my suspicion,,:eek:oooh:

3. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I think one of the most craziest things I've ever seen in the gut of a fish was a cigarette butt!! I had caught some Trout, yes Trout! LOL!:smile2: Anyhow, one of them must of liked nicotine. Heard trout love the color white. not sure that has anything to do with the white cigarette butt, but it might!!

4. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    I once caught a channel that had a four inch piece of cotton fabric in its stomach. I think it might have been a piece of a sock?

5. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Whenever I keep my fish I always check the gut and every one I have ever checked except for one, had crawdad in the gut. Strange thing is, I have never seen one crawdad in my area! The one fish that didnt have a craw had a bluegill head.

6. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Things that I have found in the stomachs of catfish are as follows: golf ball, hooks, rubber worms, bone from a T-bone steak, chicken legs or wings, acorns, crawfish claws, green Styrofoam like those used in flower arrangements, slinky weigh, small plastic bobber, grapes and persimmons.

7. sscharlie

sscharlie Well-Known Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    OK, Now ya got me wondering about this stuff. Does it stay there or can a cat regurgitate this stuff out. I'm sure a golf ball is not going to go all the way through..LOL or OUCH

8. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I like to check, however it depends on how tired I am. For me it's usually bluegill in the flatheads. I catch them on goldfish and talapia but since I never find talapia in their guts I prefer to fish with bluegill.

9. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I caught a stringer full last summer, and their lips, mouths and guts were purple. It was weird, so I cut into the stomach. Mulberries. Which made sense, since the bank of the river was lined with mulberry trees.

I've found whole cicadas, grasshoppers, mice, frogs, crawdads, minnows, corn, soybeans, etc. They really will eat just about anything.

10. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    When me and the wife was in colorado when we fished trout, we would joke are they hitting menthol or regs today.:big_smile:

11. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    On the MO river the mullberry bite is awsome. Good post

12. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Moles, baby birds, snakes, other catfish, one turtle, one so packed with earthworms he upchucked em on the deck when caught, I check guts when I keep fish to clean. Thats how I learned the cats where feeden on the small bighead carp hard here. Oh yea another guy I know on the river found a cell phone in one. lol catcall :crazy: