Whats going on

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by rivercatter, Oct 19, 2007.

1. rivercatter

rivercatter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hello, I have just started fishing in the mississippi river for cats and cant figure out whats doing all the pulling on my pole. I mostly bank fish off of wing dams with 3 to 4 inch goldfish or blugill. Any help would be great.

2. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    A little more info would be helpful.but it could be turtles,they can be a big pain in the butt sometimes.Or it could just be small fish hitting at your bait.

3. rivercatter

rivercatter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    pretty much I can see my pole bend way down and then come back up,and this will go on for a bitt, but if I try to set a hook when its down there is nothing. A friend told me to use circle hooks and that wont happen but it still does. I just dont know whats going on.

4. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    yeah id say its a turtle or a small fish big enough to grab your bait but not big enough to get the hook in his mouth.But it sure sounds like a turtle to me,those buggers are expert bait stealers.

5. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Could also be the current pulling on the line.

6. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    It is probably a under tow off the wing dike. Makes it look just like a fish sometime.

7. lilgriz

lilgriz New Member

State:
    Aurora, KY
    I used to fish a spot up the road from my house called Johnathon Creek. We fished underneath a bridge where the current had to "funnel" under the bridge. This cause the current to become swift and would pull on the rods just like you described. When your rod goes down and doesn't come up, that's a fish.

8. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i tend to think its the current to, but no info on your rig. maybe you can try more lead to stay put better. also without enough lead to take you to the bottom you wont(or mite not) get bit. ever try letting your line go and see what happens when this bite takes place?

9. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Yep! If your not use to fishing heavy current it will fool you everytime.