Whats going on???

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by jailcop2, Jul 22, 2006.

1. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Went to the Missouri river this weekend , was using shrimp cut bait and hog wild . There wasn't much action at first got 1 small channel on the hog wild ,nothing on the cut bait and the shrimp would only produce pulls , just folding the pole over a bit but no solid bites ,the one time I did get a solid hit I got a hook up ,but the fish took me right into a snag and I broke him off . The one mistake I feel I made was not setting my drag tight enough for the heavy under water cover I was in , broke off probably 10 rigs. my tackle was plenty heavy . Any ideas what might have been going on ?
    Thanks
    Brian

2. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Did the fish actually break you off, or did they wrap you up, and you broke them off trying to get them out? IMO just from what you have given, if the knots where tied good, and you were using new line that was heavy enough, tighten that drag some. When you jerk his (or her) lips, keep their head coming up if you can. Letting a fish take drag around cover is just asking to get busted off. If you tighten your drag, and still get busted off, use heavier line. One more thing, does your rod have enough backbone to do the job?? Hope this helps, good fishin', Jack.

3. lock52_fisherman

lock52_fisherman New Member

State:
    Illinois
    were you using braided line I've had alot of trouble with braided line in rivers there not abrasive resistant enough for the rocks and other things in the bottom of the river. I've also had catfish break my line, I think from their teeth rubbing on it.

4. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    FYI , I was using an 8 ft ugly cat rod with a prostaff 888 reel .I think I just needed my drag cranked down .
    THANKS
    Brian

5. OklahomaFever

OklahomaFever New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Sometimes its just bad luck... better luck next time... what were you using as bait?

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I think's that is fishing, us is going to have some that break off anyway. Just keep trying.

7. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    If the fishing and bites become real slow, I look for lite bites from hugh fish. The eaters go into hidding sometimes when a really big flat or blue comes around.

8. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Brian-
    That's why it's called fishing. (not catching)