What's going on?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Gibbzilla, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    After having a short stint with circle hooks and learning that I loved setting the hook too much to use them, I switched to Eagle Claws 2/0 kahle hooks, since I was under the impression that you could set the hook with them. After missing several strikes with them, I pulled out a small baitholder hook and was setting my hooks. Are kahle hooks like circle hooks, where you can't set the hook, or was this just a coincidence?

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    You can do either with the Kahles thats what I use and I set them all the time

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Gary is on the right track. I only use Kahles because I can break their neck or let them hook themselves if I am not paying attention. I love these and they are easy to find just about anywhere. I use 5/0 when channel cattin and 7/0 when going after shovelheads. Good luck with em brother.

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

KAhles work either way.

5. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    I like the circle, I never have been one to set the hook hard. I use the Daichii chuck lite circles but can only find them in a 50 size.

6. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Kahles are basically j'd circles... they can be set or let the fish set them selves... you may want to try hooking the bait in a different spot and see if that helps any... also you may be getting too ancy and setting the hook before the fish has a real chance to take the bait...

7. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL

Yuppers, Right on the money :smile2:

8. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Yep thats what I use and always set the hook.

9. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Before switching to circles I used Kahles and never really had to set the hook. I started using circle hooks because of a better hook up rate, and since I release 99% of my fish, there is less stress on the fish.