Whats going on with the 3 Rivers?

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by Naack, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    Ok ive tried to work this through my mind ... i like to be in control of alot of things i do in life.. mabe i said that wrong mabe i should say ... i like to be on top of things ! by this meaning i like to understand how and why and even where But the 3 Rivers have me Very confused this year....... Latly ive cought my fish while the sun has been out.. i know this is not uncommon but when ive been catching more in the daylight like a 3 to 1 ratio..... Whats going on?... another thing when the water has been up i have had to cast into the Strongest Current and when the water is low i have to cast close into slack covered water .... is this just pre spawn behavior .. cause im totaly confused i think 1 of the onl;y reasons im catching fish is i stay on the water soooo long and i try all possabilitys TIL i find where the fish are at and how they are acting and what they are feeding on.....dont get me wrong i am pulling some nice fish in ... but come on i can not recal the last time Fishing was this exhausting mentaly for me...Am i the only 1 having this Problem or?

Sorry for rambling a bit but latly im wondering if im thinking to much or not enough to catch these fish.

2. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I couldn't tell you too much about the 3 rivers cause I've only fished the Mon for about 6 months. But it does seem to me the fish are either on or off. They can start feeding or shut down just like that. I try to spend as much time as I can when I get out cause I know if their not biting just wait them out. I've been mixing it up alot too. I'll start with live bait and try to move it all around if I don't get bit, then switch to half a gill or a smaller piece of cutbait.
    My best bait so far has been white bass cutbait.
    But I don't have a lot of good holes to go to like someone that's lived around here their whole life. Every hole is just about knew to me, I'll just have to keep trying I guess If I want to get a point. It'll happen soon I'm sure.:big_smile:

3. WhiskerWacker

WhiskerWacker Active Member

State:
    Pa
    I just think that it is prespawn behavior. It seems that every year for me has started out strong and then nothing for days flathead wise. I am thinking that the males are building nests and the females have been getting chased by males which leaves less time for them to eat. DOn't worry the bite will pick back up in a few weeks, it always does.What i do this time of year, I switch over to channel cats for a few weeks, they are feeding very aggressively right now. I average about 15 channels a night and I get some nice ones this time of year. If anyone is on top of the flatty bite let me know.

4. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Very interesting thread! Last year this was about the time of year the Flathead bite disappeared for me. This year has been different as far as water temp goes and I was figuring the early Flathead bite would be strong later than usual till the water warms up. I havn't got out enough to have a good gauge as to where things stand on the Allegheny but I know this much, the water temp has finally hit 60* and I plan on fishing this weekend to see whats going on! :big_smile:

5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I been having good flathead fishing 2 hours before sunset too. The flatheads in the Schuykill spawn all year round. I've gotten thm in July and August full of eggs.

My 2006 and 2007 fishing logs show I caught them good into the middle of July and picks back up in early August. This is when the river temp is the hottest.

6. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    Shawn, i have been in the same situation before myself. you get to a point with these fish that you think you know a few concrete rules about their behavior and attitude and locations then you go out and those flats throw you a curve ball. then you start scratching your head and your mind starts racing 100 mph and all the questions start again. where are they,what depth,what bait.why all of a sudden did they change, is it the water temp,or the water level, did a log or something float in and settle in the spot, is the spawn starting or ending etc,. it almost becomes an obsession and it does drain ya a bit. but that is what seperates the average fisherman from the really good fisherman. if you don't ask those questions you will never learn. like for you this year the way you are catching them you have i am sure come to a few conclusions about what is going on but you might not run into the same set of circumstances like this year (time of catches, water levels and water temps, current etc,.) for a few years and the cats might be doing something totally different but if you run into a similar situation you will be able to recognize whats going on before everyone else and have a reference point because of it. all the analyzing of the situations you run into on the river and time spent on the river equals more success. but don't let it get to the point that it starts to wear ya down and starts not being as fun as it once was for ya. for me when i start to get like that i remind myself that i love just being out on the water whether i catch anything or not and that fishing is my big stress reliever. so no reason to stress out over something i can't control and just relax and have a good time. we will never have all the answers to what is going on with these fish because the questions will always keep changing so keep on learning, keep on fishing, and keep on having a good time out there because in the end that is what it is all about any ways.

7. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    Brian .. very well put , it just seems like im second guessing my self... i know where they should be in high water low water , large baitrs vs small Mostly even how slugish they can be in cooler water the thing that is running through my mind id..... They are doing the Total Opposite of what they should... or normaly do ... example in high water i been catching them in the most current in low water i have cought them in the most Slack water its not making sence to me i will run through my mind what the water is doing so on and so on and i wsill take the most logical approch then its not working il take the next most logical approch so on and so on... intil i finaly have no more logical approch's then i start trying where i think they wont be..... and thats when i find them... dont get me wrong i love being out their on the water their are many nights i get skunked... i just dont like posting That cause i dont think its great advice if i say ive been skunked for the past 3 days someong may think well the spawn is on and it will be very tough fishing so i usualy keep that to myself ... but i honistly enjoy being out their fish or no fish.. i just think im second guessing my self on my approch or the fish are acting Strange this year and i cant seem to get a grasp on them.. it seems strange for me to say that since i have been pulling alot of fish in but i do have alot of fishless trips i just wanted to know if it was me or others are having the same problem i guess..

And thanks for all the input guys! :cool2:

8. WhiskerWacker

State:
    Pa
    I think I have come to the conclusion that the fish have started to spawn. I say this because when I do catch a flathead it is very small, not sexually mature therefore not spawning. I have'nt caught a decent flathead in about a week or so. I have changed over to channels and am doing well, I went out this morning I got the day off work cause of the rain. I did extremely well for channels only one small and I mean small flathead he was about 15". Just because flathead fishing is tough right now try not to get discouraged I know it is hard. The fish are there they are just not eating. You may catch the occasional female, but the only time I catch males during the spawn is if I cast it right on top of them and they hit it as soon as it hits the water, they are protecting there nest, so if I don't hook up within 10 minutes I reel in a little and let it sit there for a while. Keep moving the bait alot, that seems to help when they are nesting.

9. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    Shawn, i haven't been out alot this year but i have had years like yours in which fish do not do anything that they are supposed to do or normally do. when you you think you finally understand the why's of what they are doing they start doing something else,it gets frustrating. but after reading alot of your posts i sense that we are very similar in the way our minds work when it comes to catfishing and a few similar personality traits as well. with that being said i think that is why folks like us are attracted to flathead fishing, it isn't easy catching them and there are no set rules for their behavior or actions. it is like a puzzle that you just have to solve andit makes you feel pretty good when you finally put 2and2 together and finally figure them out,then they change again and you start all over from scratch. thats what makes it interesting for people like us, it's a challenge.

10. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    Thanks for the Input guys. like i said ive been doing ok but its just the behavior of the fish that was throwing me off and i dont feel so bad seeing that others are experancing this also :smile2:

11. WhiskerWacker

State:
    Pa
    Yeah, just when you think you have them figured out you realize that you know nothing. LOL:eek:oooh: