What's going on down there ???

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by JimmyJonny, Feb 6, 2008.

1. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Ok, this a question that been lingering in my head now for awhile so I ask you folks what your advice is.

Depth finders......

Do you mark fish 1st and then fish that area ? Do you trust that your finder is even marking cats laying on the bottom ?

I've been trying to learn while out with other people but it seems that everyone does it different.

Is there some certain settings that you guys like to use or do you rely on structure and instinct ? Or perhaps marking bait is your way ?

I've been studying and researching this subject non stop for the last week. There was a lot of little things that I would have never thought. An example of this is ..if a fish is moving he will show bigger than what he really is..I never would have guessed that.

So any tips, even about locating bait with your finder is fine. I feel that there are lots of people here that could use some tips to utilize their finders to the maximum.

There is info on this site already but finders get better by the day and there is always new members that can add new insight to this subject. This is my way of bumping up a old topic.

Thanks
    -Jim-

2. tony

tony New Member

State:
    lake Murray sc
    i have an Lowrance LCX-37C which is a very expensive unit but worth every single penny.I can tell what a white perch is,stripers and catfish.when i'm bottom bumpin with spoons, i can see every movement of the spoon and know when i'm gonna get bit. i never fish until i see fish on my unit..it's down right amazing what todays technology is doing for fishermen...

3. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Jim
    I use a Lowrance 522 C and I use it basically to locate bait fish and read the bottom structure. I couldnt tell you for sure if the fish on the screen is a catfish or what but when I locate baitfish balls the catfish are usually there somewhere. Even if I dont mark fish but have found a spot that has all the right bottom features, I fish it. I adjust the sensitivity according to the manufacturers instructions to get the slightly peppered screen and use the arch symbols instead of the fish ID. Even though you may not be using a Lowrance product you can learn a lot from their website by downloading their emulators and playing with them on the computer. Its almost like being in the boat. Another good training tool is to hook up with Roundhill or Blackwaterkatz. Those guys are just welts of information and dont mind showing you the ropes. They sure changed the way I looked at drift fishing !!!!!! One thing is for sure, a good sonar/gps unit is a must for Santee.

4. catchaser1

catchaser1 New Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    I mainly go by the structure I find, if its got arches thats a plus, and if its got arches and bait, I really get pumped:big_smile:

5. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I've heard a lot of people say they can tell one kind of fish from another. How do you do it?

If a 5 lb bass and a 5 lb channel are both on the side of a hump 25' deep I can't see a difference.
    I'm ceartanly not saying you can't, I just want to learn how. Thanks.

6. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    THATS A GOOD POST WISH I HAD SOME ANSWERS ALSO

7. tony

tony New Member

State:
    lake Murray sc
    I don't really know how to explain it. I think it comes from experience over the years. I only fish here on lake Murray. but i do know a white perch from a striper, and a bass from a catfish. i bottom bump spoons alot all winter and when i see things on my graph i usually catch what i think they are. I just think experience with your graph over time is the only way. i can almost call it when to get ready for a bite. It's kinda weird actually.

8. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I look for structure more than fish usually but I try to see a few fish in the area before I drop anchor. Its hit and miss anyway you go really though jsut because you see fish on the depth finder doesn't mean your going to catch anything.

9. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Terry, some would disagree, but this is a direct quote from a Lowrance engineer, when I asked him about this some time back:
    With that said, I do think experience helps an angler to differentiate between some species, just by the type bottom or structure, or the depth they are holding at, and the signal size and strength. I know one who actually lowered a catfish of known size down to the bottom so he could see what signal was reflected. That's one way, for sure. :wink:
    Arches can appear differently, depending on a lot of variables, but they only indicate the distance from the transducer to the target, and doesn't necessarily mean the fish is directly beneath the boat. There are some good articles on the web pertaining to interpreting signals.

10. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks Tommy. All knowledge is valuable. That idea about lowering a fish just to look at it ain't bad. I might try that.

By the way I saw your grandson in the magazine holding that big catfish. That's cool. I bet your a proud Grandpaw.:big_smile: