Whats Goin On Here

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Hoosier_Catman, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Hoosier_Catman

Hoosier_Catman New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey Guys, new member here. I've been serious about catfishin for about 3 years now (4 counting this year). I fish the Ohio River from both docks and boat, mainly the Indiana side of the river. As everyone already knows, Bait is #1 when it comes to bein able to catch big catfish consistently. Which brings me to my big question. Alright, so, Early in the spring (April-May) when its late evening and in the summer (June-August) when its early in the morning, I see these fish working the surfaces of the water on the Ohio River. Like a splash or somethin eatin bugs off the top of the water or chasin smaller baitfish around, ya know, all that stuff. These fish look to be about the size of an avg. largemouth bass (1-2 lb) except they are silvery colored. They are also very abundant and consitantly working the tops of the water on the river shore. I usually see em' when I am on the docks fishing. So, are they skipjacks? Because thats what my common since is tellin me, but, when I try to catch them, I never get one. I usually throw some sabiki rigs or small while crappie jigs out towards where I see them but NEVER EVER get a bite. Whats goin on? Is it just me not fishing them correctly or are they not skipjacks? Any Info would be great! thanks

2. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    my guess it could be whitbass working the bait on top try a small roostertail a c if u get bit then? or mabey ull snag 1 and get to c what it is?

3. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    welcome to the boc

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Welcome to the Boc. This site is full of good people and great info. Just sit back and take it all in. Good luck fishing.

5. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Welcome to the B.O.C., best catfishing community on the planet.

They could be skipjacks, if so, try casting curly tail crappie jigs, preferably white or chartruese in color. Skipjacks will actually jump completely out of the water when they are feeding. Good luck

6. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    Welcome to the BOC, they could be a number of fish, like already said could be white bass, could be crappie, stripe, skipjack. Who knows until you catch one. My suggestion would be if they are hitting the top after insects then that is what the best bait would be. Try tossing a cricket free line at them and see what happens. Don't use any weight cause you want the cricket to stay on top. Use a light line set up so you will be able to cast it but that is what I would suggest to solve you mystery fish.

7. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Craig.

8. Carp King

Carp King New Member

State:
    North carolina
    Sounds like white bass to me as well. Try a small rattle bait. That should give you a chance to catch one.

9. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    if you still don't connect after trying lures, throw a castnet. they could be big gizzard shad, and the bugs and smaller fish are just there coincidentally. remember if you get game fish in the net, toss em back, you never know who's watching you.

10. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Welcome to the BOC. ><[[[[º>

11. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Welcome to the BOC!!!:big_smile:

12. Hoosier_Catman

Hoosier_Catman New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks for your replies guys. I guess they could be white bass, I did catch about a 1 lb. white bass in the same general area in which I am talking about. Are white bass considered usable for bait (is it legal) or are they any good if usable. And if they are skippies, why can I not catch them with my sabiki rigs. Thanks.

13. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Craig, welcome from Missouri. Hope ya enjoy the site.

14. duckbuster

duckbuster New Member

State:
    Ballard Co., Kentucky
    Welcome to the BOC! My first guess would be white bass, but it could be a number of different species.