What's everyones opinion on grabbling, noodling?

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by Heath J, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Heath J

Heath J New Member

State:
    Cleveland,
    I have been blasted on some forums because I do it and I have been called alot of good and bad things over it. What's everyone on here's view?

2. Heath J

Heath J New Member

State:
    Cleveland,
    I always practice catch and release too.

3. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My basic feelings run this way:
    If it is legal in your location, go for it.

I did send you a PM with a little more information than that though.

4. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I may have to come down and help.

5. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    i think you are nuts. i have a friend who grabbles for loggerhead turtles. for some reason i love to watch him but there is no way i'm sticking my hand under a bank hoping there is a turtle there.
    my first ever experiance with grabbleing i was just a kid. i didn't see the catch but i saw a friend enroute to the hospital. you could see the bone in his arm for about 4 or 5 inches. that was a 38 pounder. he was so proud he got the fish.

6. cockroach

cockroach New Member

State:
    florida
    good luck , looks like a cheap way of fishing, no rods,reels, line,sinkers,hooksto buy. you can pick first hand which one for supper an how big as howmany for supper. hay if it is legal an if you dont take mine,i don't see it as a bad thing. it's your thing an fingers as mine are full of artherites an hurt. by the way my cat are the blue ones about 10 pounds, so don't be geting mine..lol be care ful --cockroach

7. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    That fish is doing us a great job. He is protecting his young so more grow up.

Get it, more grow up, more for us to catch.

There is something noble about a life form that protects it's young. Allow the big fish to help his babies. Remember he didn't hatch them but he moves in afterwards to protect them from being eaten. In 30 seconds a bass could wipe them out.

How would you feel if you were watching your children and something grabbed you by the mouth and pulled you out of the ground into space only to release you to find that 1 or 2 of you kids were missing...LOL...I know it's far fetched.

Danny

8. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    To every man his own I guess.If thats how you enjoy to fish I say go for it.I myself enjoy trotlining and limblining.Some folks don't care for that method either,but like I said "To every man his own".Whats the biggest fish you've ever grabbed?

9. ar_confederate

ar_confederate New Member

State:
    Minden, Lo
    If it's legal, then go for it. That method of fishing has a long history behind it and it hasn't hurt the populations yet. My guess is that if you added up all the fish taken, you only get a very small percentage of the total fish caught.

10. FISHINSANTEE

FISHINSANTEE New Member

State:
    sc
    I would LOVE to do it. It is a bit nuts though. It's kinda hard to do it here in SC cause it sure would suck to grab a gator. I dont think he would care for it to much. Do you guys have gators?

11. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    :worship: Heath,ya won't get no beef from me..enjoy it...but you also won't get me to stick my hand in some of those holes

12. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    My opinion on "NOODELING" is .... It looks like a blast! However, I would not even contemplate sticking my hand in a muddy hole on the riverbank! I have seen the monsterous SNAPPING TURTLES and the damage that they are more than capeable of inflicting! So I would have to pass on that. But hey it does look really fun though!
    :cool2:

13. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I would think each individual's state Dept. of Wildlife knows what is going on in their necks of the woods. Each has fishery biologists who study the fishing environment via electric shocking, netting, trapping, etc. They pretty much know what is going on with each species of fish in their area. If that States Dpt. of Wildlife believes their populations support harvest by rod & reel, trot line, jug line or noodling, they will allow it. If they think the population is too weak to support any type of fishing, they get the state legislatures to pass laws protecting the fish. So, noodling is not "bad".

Noodling does not depleted a fishes population any more than rod / reel fishing. The noodler MAY (and thats questionable) spoil a fishes spawn by disturbing it while on the nest or if he harvests the fish, the eggs will be lost-scratch one spawn. The rod / reel fishermen do just as much damage if you consider the enormous amount of pole fishermen compared to noodlers. When the fish is harvested, whether it is January, March, August or December, whenever, that fish will never spawn again - thereby destroying the spawn. I guess we just like to call the opposing fisherman a name - deserving or not. Anyone who thinks the fish are not spawning or raising their fry in sufficient numbers should possibly consider quit fishing thereby saving numerous spawns all by themselves. LOL

14. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    ive been a noodler sense i was a kid.im 65 now and have copd.cant hold my breathbut i have 5 holes that i can run without getting my head wet.when young if i caught it i keep it.now i just go till i catch 1 over 10 but under 15.if you only take what you can eat you dont do any more damage than i do with rod and reel.keep on practiceing cpr.and those 30s will turn into 60s.luck

15. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brothers and Sisters;
    After seeing several television shows about the subject, reading everything I could get my hands on, I must say, at this point in time, that I am against it.
    I say this for the same reasons that Brother Danny McClure/Fishman does and I do, in fact, agree with him 100%. I have the same view point on hunting Squirrels and Deer too. I have, and always will, believe in the concept of "Fair Chase" and not disturbing any game in it's home! No matter if it's the Bear in a cave or the Squirrel in it's nest/home as just two examples! The Blue Catfish is no different and we do the return Honor by allowing it to complete it's spawning cycle in it's home in the banks of our rivers and lakes.
    I suppose if it is legal in your State and you wish to do it, then it is your legal right to do so. But I choose not to do so and don't foresee myself or my wife; Raven, changing our opinions in the near future.
    By the way, and for information only. Just as I cheer the Bull on and not the matador or the cowboy that climbs on their backs, I also cheer the Big Blues or whatever might grab your hand/fingers and chew on them!:big_smile:
    I have no doubt this will contend to be a controversial issue for some time to come. It will be interesting to see where it eventually goes as the population of our country continues to swell and we keep taking away the animals, that we are in charge of by being at the top of the pyramid, home territories in the name of human beings having room to live regardless of how much land is used up!! :sad2:
    Beware, we are dealing with a Double Edged Sword and it does, sooner or later, CUT BOTH WAYS! It will be interesting to see how we pay that price!
    That is all I have to say.
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1 and Raven
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

16. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    This mornings paper said the MDC was going to stop it again. Was going to be a 5 yr. program but will probably stop at two.

17. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I like chicken and noodling and beef and noodling, but I never had catfish and noodling. I may give it a try some day. Heath maybe you can fix it up for me? :0a10:

18. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    It is not for me, but more power to you! I own the "Okie Noodling" DVD and watch it over and over, and when a fellow fisherman/woman comes over who has not seen it I always play it. I find it fascinating to watch (especially those 40+ pounders), but am too much of a sissy to do it myself.

19. SHARON FLEMING

SHARON FLEMING New Member

State:
    IOWA
    Heath, I say if it is legal and you like to do it, go for it. I love to watch it on TV but no way would I stick my hands in the holes, I am a sissy too.
    Sharon

20. coreyfence

coreyfence New Member

State:
    new york
    Hey if you got the cahones then go for it. I sure don't. Activist can't gripe about you hooking fish.:lol: