Whats everyones FAVORITE duck load?

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by catfishbills, Feb 8, 2008.

1. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    You know since the introduction of steel shot, this has been an ongoing topic! With the advancment and development of BETTER non-toxic loads every year, its difficult too choose what to shoot sometimes! It seems like some loads are GREAT for timber and NOT so great for field shooting and vice-versa! I know guys that kill ducks ALL over the country every year and DONT shoot anything but....3" #4"s and guys that kill Alot of ducks and shoot all 3 1/2" #2's! (even in timber at 15 yds!) Ive heard folks rant and rave about Federal "blackclouds" and in other parts of the country folks "swear" by Kent "faststeel" sooooooooooooooo, What is everyones "Go to" shells during duck season? Oh Yea, dont forget the "new" Remington Wingmaster HD's"! There almost $3.50 a shell!!! Some shells are even more expensive!!!:crazy:

2. ArmyCatfish

ArmyCatfish New Member

State:
    Georgia
    for ducks all i shoot is 3" Kent #2 thats it 99% of the time some times ill run across a box somwhere put away of somthn else or someone will buy me some heavyshot for a birthday but kent is just so damn cheap and the BBs are round and fairly regular. where as ive seen with some other shot the BBs will be all kinds of shapes and cause a very irregular pattern

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Billy,I'll have to be honest ,I aint hunted ducks for over 20 years. Just quit ,cause I didnt like eaten them ,never really liked duck,on the other hand geese I love,plus I get better return for my efforts of plucking .:big_smile:

4. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    I like the Kent and Federal sheels usually in #2 or #1 and most of the time 3 1/2" shells. A lot of the time I have the 3rd shell in the chamber with a BB size shot for catching them a little farther out and leaving if need be. Years ago I only shot Winchester shells but lately they don't seem to pattern good at all at least in my gun. Over the last few years from the ducks I have killed it hasn't mattered all that much. The last 3 years have sucked for us for the most part.

5. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    My favorite would be Winchester Dryloks or Xperts in 3" #2s out of an IC choke. 3-1/2" for ducks? Why?!?!?! Heck, i've killed them with 2-3/4" #4s @ 25-35 yards!! I can almost see using 3-1/2s on geese, but geeze, ducks?

6. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Oh I almost forgot! I shoot and pattern my guns pretty often and I know this makes a difference! I know everyone knows that just because Heavyshot shoots great in my Benelli or Browning Gold, that doesnt mean that it will hit the paper at 40yds with a good pattern out of another gun of the same make and model! Just like rifles, some shotguns are VERY fickle! Alot of times just changing from a "patternmaster" to a "terror" or a "highflyer" choke tube will turn a "average" shotgun into a MONSTER! Some times (my Remingtons) pattern better with factory tubes than the after-market tubes! I was just curious what everyone else likes!:wink:

7. smokeeater3302

smokeeater3302 New Member

State:
    il
    I have had alot of good luck with winchester 3" # 2's
    Not only are they cheap, but they pattern great out of my gun . Oh and by the way they are only $9.00, at the local big box store .
    We by pallets of ammo for the season and the split it among the guys . Havent every really had an issue with killing ducks . Most of the shots are at the most 40 yds in the deeks . thanks to remote controled ROBO's most of the time their IN YO FACE

8. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    I like hevi shot #4 and #6 shot but can't afford to shot them. As far as steel gos like the heavy high velocity Federal in #1 shot and also like them in #BB and #2 shot. Both 3in and 3.5 in shells. As far as #4 shot and steel gos they need to burn down the factory that makes them! I have shot around 3/4's of a box of the black cloud in #2 shot not sure what I think yet plan on checking the pattern witch I have not done yet either.

9. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    I like a #6 lead for woodys and a #4 for mallards and big ducks. For geese, #1 buck is good for sitting geese on a pond within 100 yards.

I'm just playing. For me Winchester if I've got a few extra dollars but Kent will do. 3" for ducks, 3 1/2" for geese. I like #3's in the timber for woodies (that way if malards come in you've still got plenty of energy to bring them down), #2s for big ducks. For geese, BB's

10. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    You can kill them close with any size shot big or small that being #3 or larger, but small shot will not cut it on a long shot, I have also done well with #3's on close shots for small to medium ducks. If a man is going to hunt both ducks and geese in various territories and was only given one shot size to pick from it would have to be #BB shot, I always buy more #BB's than any thing else. They handle teal to greater Canadian. Also back in the day #4 buck was legal for geese in some places.

11. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    I know what the law is and the reasons for non-toxic shot, but if your field hunting geese, you should be able to shoot lead. Their arguments just don't hold up for field hunting.

12. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    I agree, what I fear is that soon we will be required non-toxic for every thing, for ex. dove. Non- toxic for waterfowl alone is more than bad enough. How long will it be before lead is outlawed for fishing? And fishing go's on for 360 days a years, all in all who's putting more lead in our water fisherman or ex-lead waterfowl hunters. We are those who have done both and still doing one. So who's going to make all the money? It wont be me for sure, and since our economy is doing so well, it just want matter will it?:angry:

13. duckbuster

duckbuster New Member

State:
    Ballard Co., Kentucky
    Kent 3 1/2", #2s. I go through a case or so every year and they haven't failed me yet.

14. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    California(go figure) has already gone to total Non-toxic. I think it is even for rifle bullets too.

15. Talkinquack

Talkinquack New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    Winchest X-perts, 3 1/2" #2's and #4's. Also have a box of Federal Blackcloud. Those shells are deadly but a little to expensive to be shooting everday.

16. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    There has been alot of talk about the Federal BlackClouds and the PatternMaster choke tubes! Supposebly the wad stopper type of chokes isnt working with the NEW type wad in the BlackClouds! I talked to a TOP guy at Comp n choke (which is also HighFlyer, Kicks) and he said that there chokes shoot fine w/Blackclouds, but they are going to do some intense patterning with them! I personally havent shot the Federal Blackclouds yet, but may someday, just to see what they do! Oh yea, The duck commander team shoots Blackclouds and Kicks chokes just fine!

17. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    3" #4 drylok steel has always done good for me. for teal i will use #6 in the same load but 2 3/4" shells.

18. matthew

matthew New Member

State:
    kansas
    i like #2 mag for ducks, and i'll throw in some double bb for the none get awaylol.

19. johnliester

johnliester Active Member

State:
    Hoxie, Kansas
    Winchester Experts in 3 inch 2s. I like the 1 1/8th ounce load as it really smokes out there. I am playing with a couple of reloads that may work better. Time will tell.

20. Migrator83

Migrator83 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Remington Nitro Steel 3" 1 3/8 #4's or #3. Best duck loads for all around performance.