Whats everyones excuse?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by smoothkip25, Oct 31, 2009.

1. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    The other night when me and Luckey Wade was on the water I brought up a good point. Have you ever noticed the excuses we catfisherman come up with? I myself have had a somewhat decent year with a 31# Flathead and a 17.5 # channel but have so many excuses or reasons why many nights I struck out. If it aint high water, low water, full moon, cold fronts or they aint feeding that paticular night! LOL! At times I think we pick apart our knowledge of fishing and just try to blame it on other things. Do you guys do this also or am I alone on this. I know different weather patterns and etc. have different affects on fishing but i think when it all boils down to it its all excuses!

2. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    I don't make excuses, unless i'm fishing with someone else that I can blame it on.:smile2:

I learned a long time ago that I have no idea why I do well on some trips, yet get completely skunked the next. I have had it happen from one day to the next, with the same weather conditions, water conditions, bait, and many other consistancies. I guess the only difference would have been the moon cycle. I have done well in a full moon, as well as no moon. That's why I stopped trying to figure it out.

3. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I normally dont make excuses. I just say I didnt find the fish and that i chose the wrong tactic. If I dont catch fish, its my fault not anything elses. So i try not to not catch fish. However the other night when I was out with James and Stephanie I am going to blame Stephanie. Like James said, shes bad luck. Had she not been there we wouldve caught fifty fish....wait a second, she missed like fifty fish! :smile2:

4. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    i say my bait didnt swim the right way..but that doesnt seem to work when im using cut bait:eek:oooh:

5. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    No excuses here, just plain old Karma. Every trip out, I don't just forget what I know about forty plus years of fishing; if one particular bait or method isn't working, I'll change to another, but if I'm not catching fish it's because of Karma, not something I'm doing wrong, sometimes you are supposed to catch them, and sometimes your not. The trick, is to recognise the times your not, enjoy that moment for what ever it's worth, and be cool, just, be cool......:cool2: :wink:

6. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    It is what it is....

I think the only really valid reasons (excuses) are a lack of knowledge about the area we are fishing and the fact that at some point we have to go home.
    No matter what the conditions, there is always a fish feeding somewhere.
    It's just a case of either knowing where or finding them before we have to leave.
    Bottom line is, barring a tragedy, there are no bad days on the water.
    ...W

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  7. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i blame it on the noise of a 9 oz hittin the water at mach 3 with a 8oz gill slappin behind it

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well said! rollo

9. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    My point exactly.
    It's always the girl's fault, or the hooks suck. :smile2::smile2:

10. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    IT"S FISHING GUYS!!!!! if ya caught fish every time out it would have been called catching!!!:wink: You have to find the hungry ones before you turn it into catching.
    Metalman said it perfectly!!!

11. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Simple, when I get skunked I just tell everybody that I spent the day playing cards with the fellas:smile2::smile2::smile2: A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work everytime out. Stay safe and remember--a little embellishment is not necessarily a lie--just the product of a vivid imagination!!!:wink:

12. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Winston put it into perspective, and I have to agree. There is a reason why it's called fishing, not catching.

13. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Im surprised nun of you mentioned me yet:smile2:. I try not to make excuses I either just suck at fishing or I go at the wrong time for fishing from the bank or I left too early.

Its probably a combo of some of that I usually can get around the same bait i.e. shad and some of the spots are ones that usually put out. I dont know maybe my hot dog isnt big enough:eek:oooh::smile2:

14. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I don't have an excuse. I think the reason I don't have as much success as a lot of you is pure laziness. When I have good luck it is because I have located active fish within 5 minutes of anchoring. If I move, I either have luck or don't. About 11pm or so I start looking for the warmth of my sleeping bag and by 12 or so, it will be 7 am before I reel in to get that late night straggling channel cat. I reckon if I moved downstream every 15 minutes or so to the next piece of structure ie, brushpile, current break, rockpile, curve, fastwater, etc... I'd be much more successful I'd imagine!

15. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know you would man, I have told you this.. Gotta move and move often. Maybe you need to get into a 7-7 tourney with me sometime, so you can see the importance of covering water, and you will feel the pressure to "have" to catch fish when you need to! I still think thats why some of the best nights we have ever had have been tourney nights! No time to go to sleep, or settle in on an unactive spot for the night!:wink: You gotta find the fish!!!!! rollo

16. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It is all the trotliners fault, they have caught 90 percent of the fish in our rivers, and keep catching the same 90 percent each year.

Leaving only 10 percent of the fish avalible for us rod and reel guys.:big_smile:

17. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    :big_smile::big_smile::wink:

18. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    I don't think it's anything i have, or haven't done:confused2:, the moon ,the weather or the fact that my wife has got my lucky fishing shirt in the wash:crazy:, I just put my failures on other folks where it belongs:roll_eyes:,Like them people that use HOT DOG'S:angry:. Iv tryed them cut, up, side way's,diagonal:embarassed:,Hell iv even tryed useing a worm blower and injecting them with ketch up and mustered :eek:oooh:,So being determined to master this hole HOT DOG thing, i consulted with the HOT DOG king him self:big_smile:, That's right,the one and only, MR BALL PARK !!!! MR GARY RYAN, well after MUCH!! begging and pleading:embarassed:,He finely gave me a small tid bite of his king like, wisdom. As i slowly read all that he typed, to soak in all his HOT DOG knowledge, All he let me know was to BAKE them:crazy:. Well being sooo grateful to have a small part of MR ball park's wisdom:big_smile:, i ran to the freezer after turning on the oven, to get me a pack of these catfish stick of dynamite:smile2:,Well i bake them, for 9 hrs!!!!!! Well, MR. ballpark!!!!! after taken you're advise, i end up with 10 shriveled up,limp beef sticks!!!!! hey now i got a x-mas gift for ( that liberal,guy in H I ,that is soon to be the former prez of H I ....) hey thanks, you are the HOT DOG king after all

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009