What's everybody think of Raw Garlic?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by pk_powell, Nov 1, 2007.

1. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have been advised to take a raw garlic clove with every meal, don't chew it just swallow as you would taking a pill. Yes I suppose it would give one some body odor but to tell ya the truth I think I'd rather smell garlic as opposed to other odors.I guess some folks actually swear by it,that it wards off colds and flu as is really good for ya so what does everybody think?~~~Sister Pat:big_smile:

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    They make odorless garlic pills. If you do eat the clove just don't get too close to Steve...:wink::smile2:
    I've heard they do help but have never tried them.

3. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    dice it up and mix in a salad, it would be easier to take:smile2: the ones that i know that eat raw garlic chase it down with ol gran dad and that hides th garlice smell:cool2:

4. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Steve already has commented about the odor,but as of this morning he says he is not noticeing it any longer,and here I am popping them,just whenever I see them. Hmmmmmmmm Does this mean when the international rolls around folks are gonna keep their distance? As far as chasing it down with Gran Dad I don't drink beer or alcohol.Ya all have a grand day!!:wink::wink:Sister Pat

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    There has got to be some benefit to garlic... after all, I haven't seen a vampire in gosh knows how long. LOL

6. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i actually like raw garlic. of course i like raw onions too. i guess it is the years of eating MRE's that has warped my sense of taste. i love it when my wife cooks, cause she normally uses raw garlic in pretty mush anything she makes, and i like it. but dont take it from me, i have been known to eat and like alot of things that most people wouldnt touch.

7. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    My dad has controled his high blood pressure for years taking garlic pills, he had been on blood pressure medicine for 12 years before changing over to garlic gradualy.

8. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Ive been taking garlic tabs for years. I use to take the dried ones and switched to the 1000mg. capsules about 3 months ago. i take it right before I eat to keep the odor down a bit.

9. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm an old polock, and I love garlic. My mom got me started making garlic sandwiches. Put some real butter and slice some garlic on some good oatmeal bread. YUM YUM

10. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Old herbal rememedy.. sucking down cloves of garlic.

The pills they claim are inneffective and need fresh bulbs.

Me? I think it is a bunch of hooey. But I do know that garlic opens the sinuses temporarily.

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Those of you that take garlic will also find that the mosquitos will not bother you. They will fly around but choose not to bite.

12. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    my wife eats raw garlic about once a week.

Ill do it about once a month...

It is good for the senses. It reminds you how much you miss your sense of taste and smell for the time that the lil buggers burn em off.

Seriously though,

Take and boil up some taters and cut em up into 1 inch cubes and put em in a bowl while theyre hot.
    Then chop 3 or 4 stalks of washed celery up and add em to the taters, celery leaves and all.
    Then add 3 or 4 sliced raw cloves of garlic, a good pinch of salt, and about a quarter cup of olive oil.

mix it up and its the best poor mans tater salad ever.

my grandma used to make that for us once in a while. I think of her every time I eat it.

That raw garlic just shines with thm other flavors.

Try it- a good cheap dinner if ya ask me!

-Sal

13. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Been eatin garlic for a looong time ,cant say if I've seen many health benifits ,but as Mickey said . The skeeters aint bit me in a few years either.

14. Wiz199

Wiz199 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I eat a lot of garlic in my food and raw, and I caught the flu this year not really bad but still caught it

15. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I love garlic...cooked. Kasha likes it raw though. If I accidentally drop a clove on the floor, it's gone in an instant.:embarassed:
    Guess it's good for K-9s too?

16. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    My uncle drinks about a fifth of bourbon everyday. He says the mosquitos won't bite him unless he's packin a chaser like a coke or 7UP.

17. Kat-tamer

Kat-tamer New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Actually, while watching Rachael Ray one day she had her dogs and a vet on there. That vet told her that garlic was bad for her dogs. Can't remember why. I'm sure that someone on here (PB) might be able to enlighten me on this.:wink:
    Anyway, Rachael Ray told that lady not to let her dogs hear her say that cause they loved raw garlic. It was a treat she gave them once in a while. Our dog will eat almost anything that hits the floor since we don't intentionally give her any people food, if it hits the floor and she sucks it down fast enough, we can't take it from her. That's how she thinks, I'm pretty sure.:big_smile:

18. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    As ya all know I'm fighting some mysterious illness that has settled in my joints. It makes it very difficult for me to get around. If I thought it would help or KNEW it would help, I'd be poppin raw Garlic after each meal as a snack and before bedtime. It would matter none to me who thought I stunk,there are worse smells in my humble opinion. I just want so badly to get well!! I wish we had a doctor (MD) or (DO) on the Board that didn't mind handing out free advise. Have a great Evening Famiky!!:sad2:

19. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    About anything in life can be toxic in enough dosage. Garlic in small doses raw, or in pill form won't hurt 'em. As a side note - Acetaminophens will kill cats and dogs. Do not give those to them just because you got them in the medicine cabinet.

20. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Popping garlic ain't so bad when you live in a house full of ramp eaters! :big_smile:

I always figured that eating garlic keep the common cold at bay because people keep their distance from you...