Whats drifting

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by badagirton, Jul 27, 2006.

1. badagirton

badagirton New Member

State:
    Indiana
    whats drifting never done it aint quite sure i know what it is

2. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    It's fishin' while the boat is drifting across the lake or down the river. It can be with a float (Bobber) or without.

3. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    You try to control your drift to less than 2 mph.... if the wind or current is taking you faster than that you might want to pull a sock, a bucket or light anchor. Its a way to find the fish with out looking for them.:smile2:

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I control the boat. Keep it at the speed that I need it to be to fish. I use the trolling motor as most of the time I fish the river.
    Also I'm not drifting to find fish. I drift to catch fish. And when your catching them I run back up river ( Not over the hole) and drift through again. Theres lots of times we will catch 10+ fish per drift.
    Pete

5. johnstone460

johnstone460 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    When you drift on the river do you go down or up strem? A friend and I tried both and had no luck. We where in 4 to 6 feet of water we had 4 differnt baits on at all times.

Any

6. johnstone460

johnstone460 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    We drifting on the river do you go down strem or up? A friend and I tried both and had no luck lastweekend. We had 4 differnt paits out at all times and where in 4 to 6 feet of water most of the time sometimes deeper. Any pointers to help use out would be great.

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

let the current carry you but control the speed with a trolling motor are drift socks. you want to drift slowly at are under about 2-4 mph

8. johnstone460

johnstone460 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks for the info.

9. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Some of you guys who don't quite understand the concept of drift fishing might want to read through these threads: http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1799
    and http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=624 for some basic information and how-to. A search of the forum will turn up quite a bit on info, too. Drifting doesn't work on every body of water or in all conditions. It works well in lakes, and a lot of rivers, too. In rivers with current, some people use a trolling motor to hold them into the current at a speed slightly slower than the river current. This allows what I call 'back-drifting', where you periodically raise you rig from the bottom and let the current actually carry it downstream until it settles to the bottom again. I haven't done a lot of this type, but I have drifted on lakes a lot. A drift can be at the mercy of the current or wind, or it can be controlled (my preferred method) with use of drift socks, etc. Slower is usually better. I like to keep my speed below 3/4mph, and in cold water, 1/4mph (or slower) is better.
    Some folks drift with sufficient weight to keep the line tight straight down around the boat, but if you're moving very fast, a drift rig such as is pictured in the first link above works well, doesn't hang up much either. Keep your line behind the boat at about a 45 degree angle, just enough weight to keep it on bottom.
    Try it and you might like it. Like I said, it doesn't work all the time, but it allows you to cover a lot of bottom. Good Luck!!:smile2: