What's biting downtown!

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by freshbaitrules, Mar 28, 2008.

1. freshbaitrules

freshbaitrules New Member

State:
    virginia
    I came across the river today around 4pm and wow! what a lot of boats. I know the shad are running but was curious I did'nt see anybody up by 14th street. Any signs of stripers up that way?:cool2:

2. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the info, they must be catching them about now if all they had alot of boats in the water

3. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    I went by Rockets Landing and it was like a 3 ring circus standing room only. I knew it got busy down there but man I was shocked. I need to get my sabiki rigs tomorrow and get there early. People are also catching cats and stripers also. I went down to Osboune Boat landing saw a couple people I've fished with before, we didn't catch anything....I just got back was there from 6pm till 9ish. Had fun though, haven't fished at night before.
    later good luck

4. 01 Mudslinger

01 Mudslinger New Member

State:
    Gretna, Va
    Im not sure what river yall are talking bout, but I know of 1 striper caught last weekend in the Dan River at the Anglers Boat Ramp in Danville

5. freshbaitrules

State:
    virginia
    Lower James. right at the city line.

6. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    As I was heading out to Osbourne Boat Landing it looked like the same old scene from Friday night, even thought Friday was almost 80 degrees and yesterday was barely 60, there was a crowd. My regret leaving Osbourne Friday was the people I was fishing with caught a 25 lber right after I left. I've never seen anybody reel in anything over 12lbs and that was at Rockets landing.

Well last night was nice at the boat landing I got there right as the tide was changing and stayed till 9pm got about 4 good hours of fishing, nobody on the pier caught anything.

7. freshbaitrules

State:
    virginia
    Thanks for the insight. You cant tell much from the report in the Fri TD it's usualy week old info.

A couple of buddies of mine have been getting bait (fresh herrring and shad) from Popes and going down and bank and pier fishing out at Deep Bottom park. I think it closes at dark however. They have done Ok lately down there. Might want to try that.

8. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    :embarassed: Could be my last report for a few weeks. I tryed them downtown yeterday evening. It was cold and wet. Set the gill net down from the Water Treatment outlet. Nothing after a 20 minute soak. I went up to the big rock and caught herring on a sabiki and a some hickory shad on a spoon. Bait in the bucket, I eased up to the 95 bridge. Caught two extremely small bait size stripers and two equally small cats. I got cold and left at 8:00 probably just before things probably would have broken loose. One carolina skiff fishing near me. I saw them still out there in the dark as I crossed back over the river on 95 heading home. I leave for uruguay tomorrow for a couple of weeks. I will miss the fishing but will watch the board daily. Keep up the posts o yea bretheran of the whiskered fish

9. freshbaitrules

State:
    virginia
    Have a safe trip and I personaly will miss your informative reports.

Safe travels.

10. dwordenfish

dwordenfish New Member

State:
    massachusetts
    Good luck in Uraguay. Catch a big one! Keep us posted.:big_smile: