Whats better Fishing line type, Mono line or braid?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by master_cat, Feb 15, 2006.

1. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    guys im thinkin from thinking from swiching from my trusty stren mono lets see wat we come up with on this one im thinkin of goin to braid but im afraid the fish might be able to see it

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Personally I would stick to mono! Not because of the fish seeing it but I think mono is just a whole lot better for cats in almost every situation. I love 30lb solar green big game made by berkley.:)

3. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well the fish shouldnt be able too see it as much since it has way less diameter and usualy a camo color

4. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Braid is generaly stronger by size, but mono has stretch. I'm going to be using both this year, and making a decision on which I like better.

Ray

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    It mostly does not really matter if they can see it or not. I mean they dont seem to really care UNLESS you are fishing SUPER CLEAR water. Then it really does matter. But the water has to be very clear like Fontana Lake in the North Carolina Mountains.

Zakk:)

6. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I just spooled up My Abu Garcia 10000 with 100 lb power pro. but I'll also be using 30 & 40 lb big game as well

7. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    i like my berkley big game personally... i have PowerPro on one rod but i only use that for my wireless depth finder... i've never had a good time when using any braided line, just feels like im using rope to catch fish... i kind of like that slight give to the line, esp when i've got the fish close to shore...

8. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Ive only used braid when it was on a friend's pole, but I dont think I could ever leave my beloved cajun red line. That stuff holds soo much more tensile strength than what is put on the box. Really great polymer mix in that one. Sorry I cant say anything for braid, but if you insist on trying new lines, try cajun as one. I can almost guaruntee you will love it, unless maybe (like Zakk said) its in really clear water. But even that Im not so sure it wouldnt work marvels.

9. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I do a lot of tournament and fun fishing and all i ever use is 100lb PowerPro. Excellent stregth and durability. And the 100lb tests braid is 20 lb diameter. I very strongly recommend braid as I have no complaints after many hours on the water with it and many large fish.

10. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Mono and braid both have there applications. I have braid on most of my cat reels but use mono leaders. Braid has a smaller diameter than the same lb test of mono. The smaller diameter has less drag in current, the almost zero stretch gives a good hook set. Oh and braid will out last mono, Can be taken off, turned around and put back on.
    Now to mono, has some stretch so more forgiving if your drag is not set properly. Is usually cheaper than braid, I know there are some more good quality's but I can't remember any.
    Now that i have yall's knickers in a twist, mono up to 30lb test works good, after that it just gets to bulky for my taste. I still have some reels spooled with 20 lb mono that i use when fishing under a float in the spring and summer. As I said earlier both have there time and place, for me , braid fits the highest percentage of situations that I fish.

11. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Don't hesitate to make a switch to braid. The line is much stronger, holds less memory and can purchased in a few different colors. What application do you plan on using the braid for. I use if for fishing for very heavy cover and for larger fish. IMO mono has become obsolete for me. I use it one my bluegill rig and that is it! I have found braid that comes in very small diameters so I may just switch that off too.

12. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Id stay with Mono,I tryed that Braded line and I'll never use it again.

13. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    I have switched all my reels to power pro braid. I wont go back to mono. I tried it last summer on a new 6500 reel I bought. The first cast the mono curled up and made one heck of a birdsnest. I dont have that problem with braid. The trouble mono is the memory it has. briad has none.

Hey Sangomon cat killer. I use the power pro 4/15 on my ultrlight bluegill rig .It is great. It is nice for crappie also. when you hook a limb or tree when working in close for them you can just pull back slow and the hook will straighten out. The I just take my pliars striaghten the hook up and go back to jigin. Other that use mono when we crappie fish have to break their line then retie all the time. They waste as much time retieing as they do fishing.

14. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    so for those of you use 100lb braid, what do you do when you get hung up good?

I learned real quick last summer that you don't wrap braid around your hand and try to pull it free - was fishing with 50lb Powerpro and sliced the heck out of my hand. Finally used a piece of wood to wrap around and broke the line.

But if it had been 100 lb line, I think I'd stil be there trying to pull it loose. 100lb seems like overkill but on the other hand, the 30 or 40lb braid is such a tiny diameter that I'm not sure it gets long with my Abu 6500 all that well -- I think the reel would be happier with bigger line.

15. Chuckb

Chuckb New Member

State:
    Pana Illinois
    The trick to breaking braided line when hung up is to wrap it around a stick or dowel and jerk it quickly. Because of the lack of stretch I can break 50# powerpro off easier than 15# berkly big game.

16. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Like chuck said. Wrap it and jerk. Also you will be surprised what you can pull in with braided line. When hung on tree limbs and rocks. If you just give a good steady pull most of the time you can pull in the limb that you are hung on.

I always use a mono leader and usually the mono breaks at the swivel.

17. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I agree i love the cajun line.I have it on all my poles but one,its tough as nails and since ive been using it ive never had a fish break it.I cant say enough good things about that line its good stuff.

18. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

I became a PowerPro convert about 4 years ago and have never looked back.
    I use 100# on my Abu 7000's, 65# on most of my 6500's, and 50# on my distance casters.

As far as what to do about breaking off on snags...that is handled by my mono leaders. For the same R&R outfit, I can use a 20# mono leader when chasing channel cats and a 50# mono leader chasing flatties. That way I can tailor my rig for the fishing on hand, plus create a weak spot to break my line at when snagged. This also insures you don't break at the reel, leaving yourself without enough line for a long cast or heavy fish fight.

On the end of each of my lines (poles) is a nice heavy coast snap, and my tackel box is filled with pretied leaders from 20-50 #'s, ensuring I have the right sized rig for any size cat or fishing conditions. The leaders also take the brunt of the abrasions, helping keep the PowerPro in tip-top shap and only needing infrequent trimmings.

19. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    I would Agree I have also tried braid and have problems with it. May be I am just "old fashioned" but I really didnt like the feel of braid either. I am sure it has its place just not on my gear.

20. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah cajun is really awesome line! Only thing I dont like about it is when night fishing it is almost impossibile to see. Cajun line was originally intented for Redfish I believe.....seems like thats what I read somewhere.

Cajun is an awesome line for clear water because it really is pretty much invisible to the fish.

Zakk:)