Whats been found/seen/discoverd?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Big Nick, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Big Nick

Big Nick New Member

State:
    McKinney TX
    This is a thread to post all of the wierd things you've seen, found, discovered while fishing and being in the outdoors. We had a thread like this on the old site and I thought it was pretty interesting to hear some of the stories.

EX: Last spring I was walking along the bank of my local lake. I was way back in the deep of it where no one ever goes, walking the bank looking for a good place to sit on my bucket. I came around the bend into one of my favorite fishing spots and there was a boat with guy and a gal in it. That wouldn't have been so wierd, but they were naked as could be. I sat down and threw in my lines and they just sat there like nothing was out of the ordinary. I probably fished for 3hrs before they finaly got up, got dressed, and took off. The whole time they were only about 100yds away.

EX: I once saw a feral hog swim out to a tree in the water, try to get up the trunk and then just turned around and swam back to the bank. I drove my boat over to the tree and there was nothing there. I'm still confused about that one :confused:

So now its your turn, what wierd things have you found or seen, or heard about? It doesn't have to be people necessarily, it could be a wierd animal, a funny story about someone you don't know falling in the lake ect ect ect.
    Lets hear some good ones cause I know you guys have some.

2. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Once while out fishing I was sitting on the bank near a tree stump that I was using as a table. I was about half a sleep when I heard something and when I looked overe there was a big ol coon setting there eating my bait. he never seem scared or nothing. once he finished what I had laying there he walked infront of me and stoped and look at me, it was almost as if he was saying thank you then he whet on his way.....LOL I will never forget that as long as I live. I did see him a couple of time after that and he would walk up to me if there was nothing on the stump and stand on his hine leggs so I would toss him something and when he was done he would look at me then be on his way. Almost like some one's pet.

3. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    When fishing Alaska on the Kenai River, about five years ago a pair of guys i knew got snagged on the bottom, while normally they would have just broke their lines and continued fishing, this day was different. The fish were not biting and they were tired of this snag. So they idle their boat int the current and slid a glapping hook and some nylon rope down the snagged line. It took them over two hours of pulling and wrestling with this snag finally they landed some some would call the "catch of a liftime" an old rusted mattress that had layed on the bottom of the river for an unknown amount of time, that contained over 10,000 fishing settups that had been lost to it. it was quite a site, madde the ANchorage daily news.

-brian

4. Big Nick

Big Nick New Member

State:
    McKinney TX
    Good stories fellas. It sounds like that Racoon was raised my someone, or had some type of regular human interaction. As for the mattress, I think I lost a rig or two on that thing and I've never even been to Alaska. HAHA

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    several years ago me and a buddie were fishing a state lake here in illinois. its fairly small 29.4 acres. an electric motor only lake. we rented a flatbottom jon and took our small trolling motor and was out fishing.

the fish seemed to be fighting us that day and we started noticing several lures that were broke off on the x-mas trees and structure they use for spawning beds. the water was just incredibly clear on a sunny day.

we took our rods and used the tip to attach to the stuck trebs and with a quick pust towards the center of the lake they would pop free. we continued to troll the banks and retrieved several hand fulls of jigs crankbaits spinners and spoons. made our day.

of course we turned them all over to lost and found. :rolleyes:

6. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    A friend and I were fish in the mouth of a cove in Lake Limestone in Texas many years ago. We saw something cutting the water in a large circle way back in the cove and decided to investigate. We went into the cove and stopped were we saw it and sure enough it started doing circles around the boat. I asked my buddy if he could make out what it was and he replied, "No". About that time this thing took off for the catails and onto the bank it went. So we decided to chase it down and see what it was. My buddy jumped out of the boat in hot pursuit. It took me some time to tie off the boat and catch up with him and when I did he was up in a tree about 25ft from it a I yelled up to him "What is it" and he replied "I can't make it out" and the thing just flew away!!!! :D

7. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    I was fishing once in some ponds near the highway. This is a place where Lord knows what goes on at night. It was daytime and I was bass fishing. I hung something and pulled and pulled. I could tell it was moving as I pulled it and figured it was a tire or something. I got it to the bank and it was a trash bag and was pretty heavy. Well by this point I'm thinking "there's body parts or something in this thing". Curious as I am, I slowly opened it and it was a dead dog someone had put in a bag and tossed it the pond. I don't know how long this thing had been underwater but it was pretty nasty. I thought I was going to hurl.

8. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    once at the strip pits last spring on a nice mild sunny day we hit the water at about 530 and it was around 3 in the afternoon when we decided to head in
    being as this was our first trip into this particular lake we had wove our way back into the coves and on our way outwe happen to see a boat with 2 occupants in which we slowed down to not create a large wake on them
    to our amazement it was a couple and the lady looked to not have a top on
    they were bass fishing
    well its hard to not look and my brotherinlaw was smileing at me as we had my teenage son with us and i said under my breath to him is that what it looks like to you?

he said he thought so aand we were past them and came to a dead end as the little section of lake they were in was the path to get back to the long stretch that leads to the ramps.

well as bad as i hated to interupt them we had to leave and as we got back near them it was obvious that she wasnt wearing the red tshirt earlier!!!!!

as we passed close to them they were very polite and asked us if
    we had caught anything .....kinda felt like sayin yeah your wife LOL
    but we told them about the several small channels we caught and they said they were catching a lot of just under the limit lrgmouths.

just goes to show you all bassers aint bad .......and some aint bad to look at either LOL

makes ya wonder if they read more into the name on the lake strip pits???

9. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    a few weeks ago my son and i went to the river netted a few dozen shad
    and started fishing we had seen a pair of bright shiny eyes at the bank up a little ways i thought it might be a coon or some water type animal like a muskrat or mink
    we forgot about it and were fishing and my son blurted out what the heck as a little cat had boarded our jon we had pulled into a sand bar and fished out of the boat.

we started feeding him shad and before we left it looked like his belly would drag the ground my son wanted to keep him and i said we didnt nee d a cat
    and after a few more pleadings i said if he is here when we leave we will take him home .

i also tried to shoo him away more than once and finally thought we were the new owners of a cat as it was 3 am and no bites other than gar.

so we set out and as jarrod pushed off and hopped aboard the cat hopped back off and sat there stareing at us hahahaha

i had to tell him heck no we aint going back it wasnt meant to be
    adios fleabag

10. Big Nick

Big Nick New Member

State:
    McKinney TX
    Good posts fellas!
    Dead dogs/mystery animals/naked people.
    This thread is turning out to be okay!!!

Here is another one that happened to me. A friend and myself were fishing a little lake near Lufkin TX called Lake Kurth. It was only our second time on the lake, and the first time it was really cold so we didn't go far. But this time it was warm outside so we decided to explore a few new spots. We were coming around the bend into a little cove. We were probably about 15ft from the reeds and cattails throwing a few spinners in that direction. All of the sudden the water exploded right at us, it was a gator about 10ft in length. He came strait through the reeds right at the flat bottom jon boat we were in. He hauled butt right at us and about 2ft before the boat he disapeared underneath us. The wake from his tail was big enough to move the boat we were sitting in. This was my first run in with a gator and it scared the crap out of me. Needless to say we fished with our feet in the middle of the boat for the rest of the day.

11. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    My buddy and I were fishing the Neosho river when it was REALLY rolling due to heavy rains from the bank. We had caught several nice channels on some sod worms we had dug out of the river bank, but were hoping to get a flathead or two. Pretty soon my buddys clicker went nuts, and he fought what we were thinking was a big flat. He'd gain ground...then lose it right back and then some. He had on 40 lb mono...and finally after tightening down the drag some more...it started slowly coming in. The water was really muddy...and when he got it close to the bank...I was standing there with a gaff getting ready to land what had to be a 30 lb plus flathead. It got close enough...and I grabbed the line with my gloves on, and it came up to the top. A huge freaking beach umbrella somebody had lost off their dock or boat!

12. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    well just recently the wife and i were out fishing flipping for bass along this nice row or structure when a beaver went splashing into the water about 2 feet from us talk about almost going overboard lol

years ago when i was around 10 my dad and i were trout fishing and i hooked what we both thought was a log but it was the gu that was missing for about 2 months needless to say i had nightmares for years after that. and i have yet to go back to that spot to fish either.

13. Big Nick

Big Nick New Member

State:
    McKinney TX
    Hey Mutt, I'm thinking by "gu" you meant guy :eek:

Wow, I'd be a little messed up in the head after that one. I've fished out quite a few different things in my day, but I hope I never run across a body!

14. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    We were playing around tossin out our lines one day. thought I hooked into a monster. Turns out, the trebel on my lure had gotten wedged into the crack of a rock.

15. Big Nick

Big Nick New Member

State:
    McKinney TX
    So did you catch the rock?

16. Southernraised84

Southernraised84 New Member

State:
    Fayettnam, North Carolina
    This isent a story about dead bodies or topless bass fishers.But when i was younger me and a couple family members or freinds would take canoe trips down the Cape Fear river here in NC we would do about 16 miles everytime through a strech of the river that had some rapids to it the biggest being class 3,but anyways to make a short story long(lol) we had just got to the spot to set up camp when all of a sudden my dad says yall take yalls hats off i look up just in time to see a bald eagle flyin about 10 feet in front of us.Thought that was pretty neat. never seen one in the wild

17. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK

Attached Files:

18. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Tristan, that story is awesome. Something you'll never forget.

19. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Yes, the rock was caught, and released

20. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    Back in july of this year a buddy of mine and I were fishing on the Ohio River on the lowside of the newburgh dam. We had been setup for about 6 hours and hadnt really been catching anything other than sheephead. About 10 feet away from where i was setup I had the cast net on the ground and about 30 small shad i was using right next to the water in the sand. The current must have been strong that day to dig about a 1 foot drop off in the sand and the water level was a little over the lip. Every now and then we would get a few small waves from boats off in the distance and a few of my shad would get closer to the water. Around 2am i kept hearing a splashing sound that was very faint like if you were to smack the water with your hand very lightly. When i looked i didnt see anything, so i decided to walk over with the flashlight and look around. Well there was about a 5 foot long gar around 15-20 pounds with his mouth in the 1inch deep water snatching my shad up. He didnt even care i was there or he was too stupid to notice. I was bored and wanted to see if he would bite a shad i dropped in the sand/water. As soon as I put the shad in there he snapped down on it and realized he was hook and took off screamin. He ended up tangling into my other lines and making a big mess because i was too stupid to just leave him alone. Gar are fun to catch but they swim left/right alot and will give you a big mess. And they arent very fun to pick up and get your hook back.