What's an affordable, reliable, low-profile reel?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by SouthGADan, Jan 9, 2010.

1. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    My brother is looking for a low-profile reel. He wants to stay under $50, and of course, wants something that will last him a while.

It will probably be used for bass fishing most of the time, but he'll want to use it for the occasional channel cat. It will probably be spooled with 14 pound test, so line capacity is a plus. I realize he's not going to get a lot of that with a low-profile, but he simply does not want a round reel like mine.

And by the way, what's the smallest diameter of braided line you could put on it? I know I've heard not to put too small of line on a baitcaster; he may want braid on it instead.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Dan,I did a review on a Pinnacle reel I bought a while back. Don't know if its still here,But for the money I thought it was and still is a great lo pro reel. Got it from Wal-Mart for around 40.00 I have it spooled with 12 lb Trilene XL,thats all I ever use on my bass reels.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010

3. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i used to have a mitchell i loved..used it hard for 3 years then it grew legs and ran away

4. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    The Pinnacles are excellent reels for the money. I've had several that I used for light fishing such as bass and stuff. Wal-Mart's got a couple of different ones from $40-$60. Best reel in that price range that I've used. If he's ordering online, look at the branded reels from Bass Pro and Cabela's. They're nice too.

5. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Abu Garcia Black Max..Awesome reel..Really low profile..I love mine.. I have caught a Stringer full of 4-5 lb smallies and largemouth!!!I have gotten a few big 9lb carp on spinners before!!!I have 30 lb power pro on mine since i took it knowing carp will it spinners in SD..Great reel..Highly reccomended!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  6. holliswood

holliswood Well-Known Member

State:
    King, NC
    Pinnacle makes a great, affordable product. Check some local thrift stores and antique stores. I've found many nice reels that folks bought thinking they'd like fishing and didn't. They'll sell 'em for cheap!

7. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Every so often Bass Pro Shops will put their branded extreme reels on sale.I have a couple of them and they do a great job for the price.

8. Balex123

Balex123 New Member

State:
    Indiana

Yeah, I own a black max also. Believe this is the most affordable abu if thats a brand you like. I haven't used it much, but the retrieve is the first thing that stood out that I liked,other than that, its smooth and seems like it has the quality tol do the job for many seasons.I remember I did a lot of research before I bought it (before I found the BOC though) and it seem to keep my attention while looking at others. it's little over fifty, but like kylelkhunter said, the branded reels may be a good option to look into also.

Best of Luck!!

9. Balex123

Balex123 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    P.S. as far as the braid question, I haven't used braid on the one low-profile I own, but whenever I watch Bill Dance, Roland, etc... they note in their tackle section whenever they use braid its mainly 20 or 30lb. I myself have used 30lb TOW on a spinning outfit and have been very happy with it so far. Many people have said that it's abrasion resistance isn't as good, since its so thin, but I haven't had any real issues so far myself. If I were to put braid on my low-profile, I prob choose 20 or 30lb. Man has anyone seen the lighter pound test braids? Like 8? Man are they thin....

Anyhow, I guess it boils down to the type of water your going to fish and comfort level. I have always bought a little stronger line than I think I need. With many companies introducing there own braided line, I would imagine it will get more affordable, allowing us to try more out.

Hope this helps!!

10. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I do not like any braid less than 20 pound on a baitcaster , it's so small on most round abu's it will try and get between the spool and the frame.I would use mono at first until I got used to the reel.Small backlashes are easier to get out with braid but bad ones are a major pain.Good Luck

11. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Have a new Black Maxx that I have used on a couple of trips and like using it just fine and hope it holds up good.The mag feature don't do much any where it is set it cast and acts the same but I am using extremely light lures,3/32 oz. jigs with 3" plastic tails.reel is spooled with 30 lb. braid.Also have a low profile Daiwa that works good but is a little noisy.
    Jake

12. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    Thanks for the replies everyone; he got impatient and got one of those Pinnacles from Wal-Mart, which is fortunately what several of you recommended. I was afraid of the Blackmaxx because I had read mixed reviews and my last cheap Abu didn't go well, but it's good to know you guys have had good results.

I'm glad the Pinnacle reels are a good choice. If I start going after the big fish, I'll probably get one to replace my Abu, then put some 65# PP on the Abu and get a new rod that will handle it. I love the way the pinnacle casts; it's just effortless, and pressing the thumb spool disengages the levelwind. I helped my bro figure out how to cast a baitcaster; I wish I would have had someone to teach me, lol.

13. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i also have several of these "extreme" reels. for the money you can't beat them. just for a test take an "extreme" reel and without any line on it and the bearing tension knob loosened off, disengage the spool and give it a spin. these things will spin forever. i've never had a reel that will spin like these do.

14. festus

festus New Member

Dan, is this the same Pinnacle I added in the attachment? I think I heard a while back that Pinnacle bought out the Silstar company. But I never owned a Silstar baitcaster, but have two Silstar spinning reels that are at least 25 years old that still are going strong. I'm sure it's a good buy.