Whats an affordable, great 8-10 lb line?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by fishinnstudyin, Jan 14, 2007.

1. fishinnstudyin

fishinnstudyin New Member

State:
    MO
    I'm going salmon fishing and I need to fill up several new reels.. I notice that there are a lot of good brands like Maxima 6 lb or Stren Magnithin,etc that are kinda expensive... About $8.99 for a 330 yard spool... But I notice that there are some brands like Cajun Red and Berkeley BigGame that sell 10 lb test with about 1400 yards for about $7.99.. Now I use Berkeley BigGame 30 and 40 lbs on my catfish reels, because I know the catfish aren't line finicky, but I do know that when catching trout and salmon a thin line is imperative.. For trout, I buy only 2 lb test and for salmon, I need a good quality 8-10 lb line that they won't see.. Is there a good quality line thats fairly invisible to the fish? I used to use Maxima for my small line, but filling up 3 reels with it will cost me about $20 bucks.. What do budget-conscious crappie fisherman use because I notice they use any line between 6-12 lbs?/

Thanks

2. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    If you're looking for a inexpensive Crappie line that is thin,and extremely tough,I use the Wally Marshall camouflage 4# test. It is made in Germany,and extremely tough. The best part is the price,$6.99 for a 3300 yd. spool!! If you're near a BPS that's where I buy mine. Hope this helps you.
    Glenn

3. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I forgot to tell you that I've been fishing with guys that were using 6# & 8# test line,and they would be breaking off,and I could pull the snag out that they broke off on! Good Stuff!!!
    Glenn

4. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    100% Vicious Line.

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Trilene XT is a good tough line. I haven't seen Big Game in less than 10 lb, tried that on a spinning reel, and don't like it, too stiff. Got a bunch left, but probably am gonna pony up and get some XT.

6. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Brother John;
    Remember that you get what you pay for.
    Having said that, for your purposes I would take a look at the Shakespeare "Cajun", "Cajun Red", lines.
    They really do start to disappear a few feet down and I think you will find it a bit more supple and easier to cast accurately over the "Big Game" lines. I also have found the poundages I've tested to be quite scuff, scar, cut, resistant but I have not done much testing below the 15# to 17# range in these lines.
    Don't overlook Cabela's Pro Line!! I used various colors in poundages from 4# to 17# extensively for over 10 years until I got the "BIGGUN'S" Fever!!! I have absolutely NO Complaints about the PRO Line's that I used!
    You can get 4#/2850 yards ... 6#/2400 yards ... 8#/1750 yards ... 10#/1450 yards.
    Colors come in: Clear Blue Florescent, Natural Clear, Low Visibility Green, and New for 2007; Hi-Vis Yellow. The price for ANY combination I mentioned above is $6.99. You will have to pay shipping unless you live close to a Cabela's Store.
    If you would like to look them over go to http://www.cabelas.com
    or for a free catalog call 1.800.237.4444 --- 24 hours a day.
    I hope this helps you out some. :smile2:
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of MSG]]]]]

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Just regular old Silver Thread. I started using this line in 1985 when it first came out and was considered high priced line.
    It's a copolymer line with good strength, suppleness, low memory, and knotting abilities.
    Silver Thread is the first line company to enter into play lines at smaller diameters compared to its predecessors at Trilene, Stren, etc.
    Silver Thread's 17 pound test was the same diameter as Stren's 12 pound test.
    In 1985 250 yard filler spools were around 11 bucks. That was high for fishing line back then!
    Now Silver Thread is around 4 bucks for the same spool.
    I still use it when it comes to bass and pan fishing. Their line may have been matched but there just isnt many lines at all that will match or surpass them in a good line at a low price. This line was made for casting.

8. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I can second Mark on the Silver Thread. Put some on my Sedona 2500, good casting, almost no memory, and get a lot on. I've loaded my 6500C3 with 20 lb Silver Thread Salwater, also a copolymer. It casts well, hoping it holds up to abrasion.

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Never tried the saltwater Silver Thread.

10. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    If you're worried about the fish seeing the line, just use a flourocarbon leader. DONE DEAL !!

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    If the water is clear you should drop down in line sizes.
    If you do what the pros have done for years there shouldn't be a problem.

I do understand that big line is some folks security blanket and find it really really hard to drop 2-4 line sizes to catch fish.:big_smile:

12. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    what kind of salmon and where??
    I used Trilene XL 12lb for my freshwater salmon, except for kokonee. I used an 8 or 10lb leader if the fish got really finicky, but that was only for SUPERclear water. As long as it is good line and clear, anything below 17lb will work. I used 12lb because it cut through current better than 17 or 14. I used XL because it would move better in the colder water. i am not a pro salmon dude or anything, but i fished them exclusively for 3 yrs when i was stationed in washington. Just my input, take it or leave it.