Whats a good way to catch gar

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by CatfishRocky, Jul 19, 2006.

1. CatfishRocky

CatfishRocky New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i live in ia and i see gar in a small lake i would like 2 tie in 2 1 of these i need help on what to do as far as setup and bait help me :after_boom:

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

look in the library for a rope lure are put a live shad/herring under a cork and wait but use a black steel leader if using live bait.

3. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    or jus go catfishing.......you're bound to catch a bunch

4. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Live bait, minnows on bobber with a decent sized hook should help you out alot.

Aaron

TA2D

5. A rifle of any caliber from an elevated position or from the bank is a good way to get Gar. May be a bit extreme though.

6. CatfishRocky

CatfishRocky New Member

State:
    Iowa
    lol good idea might have 2 try that

7. mattoonboy4

mattoonboy4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i catch a ton of them with cut bulegill at the lake shelbyville dam in illinois, they fight like heck especially when u lay into a big one. in the spring i spear fish them tho.

8. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    Gar are always hitting my cut bluegill. The only one i caught was luck because I guess they roll like gators and he wrapped the line around his mouth. I don't think ive ever had a hook get set in their mouths.

9. Gabowman

Gabowman Member

State:
    Georgia
    On hot sunny days you can catch a few on rope lures. I tired it last year and wasnt much to learn other than they are like any other fish.....dont always bite. I caught some but it was hot fishing in the middle of the day. Go get 'em!

10. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    it would seem like if you put some cut bait...shad, skippies, bream, whatever ...on a smaller hook and did the rope/thread thing at the same time ..one could have a fairly good hook-up ratio with gar.

I certainly have caught a lot of catfish in areas that gar are surfacin heavily..but the current was flowin as well. I have talked to a few old-timers on the water and they said that the kitties will often follow under the gar and eat the scraps of whatever they kill.

cyas
    rc

11. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Minnows are the best bait i have had lots of luck with a jig crappie fishing fun on a 4lb line and jig pole:smile2:

12. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Well seems like all u have to do is fish for catfish.

13. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    live minnows or perch under a cork is the ticket. they are hard to consistantly hook, so try putting some panty hose on the hook so the gar get their teeth tangled. or fray the end of rope and put on yer hook.

14. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Ok now for the important question... How do you not catch gar... I average around 10 gar to 1 catfish.. How do I turn that around so I catch cats and not gar..

15. kbgrillin

kbgrillin New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I gotta agree with Johnny. I never have trouble catching gar when I'm fishing for cats.

16. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i havent tried it yet, but i have a half a dozen rope lures made up.
    i took and cut a nylon rope into various lengths from 2-5 inches .
    i heated one end on each of these lengths to make a durable
    tip that wont fray,then heated a small brad/nail orange and ran it through this hardened tip to allow a snap swivel to go through.
    then i sort of pulled and fraid out the other end to make a tassle tail
    and this is supposed to get caught up in the gars toothy mouth
    seems like it will work . i havent been to the kaskaskia in a while
    next trip i make in the evening i will use these and report back on how i do.
    it seems like it would be fun.

17. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    heres a little drawing that might help sorry i couldnt get it in in time dureing the edit time limit

Attached Files:

18. keeyaawww, dere are so many ways, dey is floaters, - put a nylon string on a jug, like catfishin on jug lines...den dey is fishing on da line, wit a bobber, just use live bait. dey even make a lure(at least you can) (I never tried dis way but heard it works) by cutting 4-6 about pieces of nylon string 10 inches long ,den foldin it in half den take and dat folded part of dat to the shank of a small hook to make like a skirt on da hook. denen brush da string to make da string fan out like a fluffy skirt. tye da hook to your fishing string, bait da hook wit a piece of live bait or even cut bait for smell. cast past the gar and retrieve slowly. the fish smells da bait, bites da hook ,and HIS teeth get caught in da skirt. den just reel him in....Da one in da picture on my deal dere was caught on a jug line...

19. uptoolate

uptoolate New Member

State:
    Canyon Lake, Texas
    The best way to catch gar is to go noodling for them. This is also the quickest way to earn the nickname "stubby".

20. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I agree with DCR, I add a 2/0 hook to my snagg lure just incase a muskie hits it, we had these guys in canos mouth dropping because for some reason muskies hit that snag bait too so just kinda puts a spin on things.