What's a good spinning reel?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by LMHart, Aug 18, 2009.

1. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I admit that I am an abu snob. But I am now looking for a spinning reel to put on a 10+ pole. What is a good spinning reel?

2. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    shimano baitrunner :cool2: best spinning reel ive ever used

3. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    For the money and knowing it is bulletproof....Penn 9500 usa made.You can get one on Ebay,but will pay over 100.00 for it.It also has great line capacity.....300 yds of 30lb mono.

After that I would say Daiwa Black and Gold 90.Also a bulletproof reel for around 100.00

If you want to go cheaper,find a Shimano baitrunner 6500 on Ebay for under 100.00 easy.

If you want to stick with ABU....well Garcia anyway,find an old Garcia Mitchell 302.You can get good ones for 30.00 or so.And there is plenty
    of parts around,drags,etc.They are workhorse reels.That would be my choice for the money.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  4. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Those are all good choices. If you're not concerned with the baitrunner feature, any of the Daiwa Emcast surf reels are very nice, along with the larger size Shimano spinning reels. You're going to spend $70 minimum on any of these reels, with most of them going into the $100 range or better. Watch ebay, you can snag some good deals on there. I just got a Daiwa Emcast Sport to try out. New, never used, but no box, with the spare spool, for $38 shipped! Bass Pro sells it for around $70.

5. mdavis

mdavis New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Take a hard look at the Okuma Avenger ABF series of spinners. They have size 10 to 65 and have bait runners on them (like having a clicker on bait casters). Love the rear drag and bait runner option on these and get great reviews. I have had mine for over a year with no problems; using the ABF-40 size on the original series medium action 9 foot Ugly Sticks.

This real in a size 65 with a new ugly stick should cost you no more then $75.00 total.

6. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I like Pfleuger spinning reels but Shimano baitrunner is really hard to beat.

7. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Okuma Avenger series is a very solid spinning reel and the price is right.

8. lou_a

lou_a Member

State:
    Texas
    I like the way LowCountry thinks. The Penn 9500 SSm is built super solid. The m is for Metal, don't confuse it with the SSg /graphite reel. I believe this reel goes new for bout $140.

The Daiwa BG's are super solid too. The BG90's are about 90 bucks new, the smaller sizes are slightly less.

I can't afford either, if I could I would...

9. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    hey man i am a diehard abu garcia man. all i use are abu baitcasters except....i keep one spinner on the boat with me. It is a daiwa jupiter aka JUPE. it is the smootest fastest spin real i have ever used. a couple years back i used all spinners and when i went to baitcasters i kept this one in the arsenal cuz it is such an amazing reel. Look them up.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  10. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

State:
    sc
    Keep in mind the Penn 9500 is the usa version no longer made.You must get it on Ebay or used.The 950ssm is the china made new version.Its a ok reel,but not as bulletproof.It has had some handle issues,and I dont know if Penn ever addressed that issue.

The Shimano Baitrunner is a good one for sure.Great drags on that reel.

11. lou_a

lou_a Member

State:
    Texas
    I had the CatMax size 80 spinning reel. A few weeks ago a large fish pulled hard enough that the reel foot "exploded" and the reel was no longer attached. This with 20 Lb test mono and the fish never did pull drag. So in my mind, this reel lacks toughness. The Catmax spinner aint a bad reel, and it casts extremely well, but it's nowhere near as strong & durable as the Penn 9500 SSm and the Daiwa BG90. It is a good bit cheaper at 38 bucks, but for 32 bucks you could get the Daiwa DF100A which is alot tougher than the Catmax. Only "problem" with the DF100A is you can only reel with your left hand; the handle is not interchangeable....

I have a Daiwa Jupiter gold and it's pretty good, but not as good as the DF100A. I don't think they make the Jupiters any longer, but I think the current Opus model is similar.

12. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

State:
    sc
    Very nice post Lou.I have always believed in spending a little more for the better reel,but thats just me.

The Mitchell 302s are very cheap and hard nosed reels.If I was huntin a spinner and didnt get a 9500 penn,that would be my next choice,followed by a Baitrunner.