Whats a good rod and reel for distance?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by bass&cats, Jun 16, 2008.

1. bass&cats

bass&cats New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    whats a good rod and real for a cheap price that will cast braided line out there far? and should I go with medium heavy or heavy?

2. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    a cheapie would be a shakespear alpha they will run you 20 bucks at wallmart and they cast me clean across the river without trying. gus dont like em but i think they are a nice reel. go with a berkley big game series 8' med/hev action rod spooled with 30-50 lb spiderwire braid and you will be set to catchabiggun.

3. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    i'd say define cheap first. now for 40 dollars you can get an 8ft uglystik that'll cast 6oz and shimano makes a cheap reel that kmart sells that retails for 25 dollars and you might get lucky and find one of those alpha combos that goes for 35-40 bucks.

4. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    A Penn Squidder on a 12 foot heavy action American Rodsmith surf pole will cast a bunch, the rod will be 50.00 or so and the reel off of Ebay could be 25 to 70.00+ depending on how crazy the bidding gets on the reel. I used this combo at the beach last week with a Squidder I had purchased for 28.00. I put some parts into it, so I have about 65.00 total in the reel... You want distance, this set up will give you distance... (unless there is a big tree behind you, then you are on your own..:big_smile:)

5. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Go to www.catfish.net Tiny was a world class caster and he talks a lot about it this is his site hope this helps you out and i have herd some of the fellows that fish Keystone talk about casting 200 yds and better

6. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    200 yards!! thats a lot of line. wish i could cast that far lol

7. WhiskerWacker

WhiskerWacker Active Member

State:
    Pa
    If you are looking for a decent CHEAP rod, abu agrcia makes a combo called a Bruiser, comes 9' holds alot of line and can cast pretty good. A few people I know have them and like em, I like baitcasters for cats though. It's $40 for the combo, well worth the $40!!!

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    what are you looking for spinning or baitcasting? a rod with more eyes will usually cast better than the same rod with fewer eyes. a rod with few eyes will let the line flail around between eyes causing friction and slowing your cast.:wink:

9. mrmarkedwards

State:
    Delaware
    hey catman thats not tiny's site but it is a good one. i'm not sure it's ok to post tiny's site on here so i won't. now if true distance is the question then we need to know a few more things like how much money are we working with? spinning or baitcasting? mono or braid? then we can talk real distance. by the way i consider tiny a good friend and i have topped 200 yards a few times:roll_eyes:

10. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    For those of you who don't already know, Mark knows about casting.

11. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mr. Edwards

Tiny has been kind enough to pass on some information to me in regard to casting with my 6500 and 7000 abu's. I learned to cast with Squidders and Newell's and have now opted for level winds. I have also used spinning reels, but switched back to casting rigs. I always use 12' rods. I am by no stretch a distance caster like yourself, but I only bank fish and distance is needed. I get the impression you prefer spinning reels to casting reels, and I am sure you are accomplished with both. I would like to know why you prefer spinning to casting. Thanks.

12. mrmarkedwards

State:
    Delaware
    dave i prefer spinning reels for a few reasons first on the tournament field they are weather proof while rest of the guys are changing bearings, oil, or spools and lets not mention if it rains or the wind shifts now they are back to the drawing board while i'm always ready to go. spinning reels are simple, spool it up with enough line and its happy. second the distance gained by a baitcaster is minimum (at least to me) i lost out on 2 national titles by a total of 8 feet i lost in 2003 by 3 feet and 2004 by 5 both to baitcasters and placed in the top 5 of 3 others and was never more than 20 feetaway from the winners so i think that debunks that myth. next as far as distance goes if you want extreme distance my choice would be 20lb braid on a spinning reel and watch it fly i once dumped 300yd spool of braid and at the end of the cast there were maybe 30yds of braid left. next as many guys that i know that use baitcasters during the day they all switch to spinning at night so why don't you just stick with spinning like i do? i am in effect retired from it now and still favor spinning reels for ease of operation plus with some of the improvements like instant anti reverse, bait runner, aluminum frames and spools they are just as good as baitcasters these days. hows that?

13. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    for long casting I use a 12 foot american sprit nite stik rod 40 bucks.
    And I put a abu 6500c3 on it//I can cast weights from 2-7 0unce a long way with this outfit.

14. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well stated. Thank you very much.

15. winstonp

winstonp New Member

State:
    Wyoming
    Mark,
    What kind of equiptment do you use ? Do you use it for fishing also, or just tournaments?

16. mrmarkedwards

State:
    Delaware
    winstonp,
    i am a big tackle junkie and have too many rods to list so i'll just give you my current extreme long distance setup. its a 13 ft breakaway hdx rated for 8+oz matched to a shimano big baitrunner spooled with 20lb suffix braid. the spare spool has gammi 12lb test mono i use this outfit for the tournaments and for fishing, thats what made me unique i was the only guy in master class(725ft or more) that used off the shelf gear and spinning reels. now one of my favorites is an outfit you'll rarely see me without its an 8 ft uglystik with a baitrunner 6500 on it i call this rod the money make because the biggest reason i carry it for when someone make a comment like "i could cast that far if i had a rod that long" and thats usually when the fun will begin the best i had was these 2 guys wanted to bet me 20 dollars he could outcast me well 2hrs later they 60 dollars poorer and ended up buying us a case of beer with more of their money. total 80 dollars for 2hrs work.

17. massa_blake

massa_blake New Member

State:
    Texas
    For under a hundred buck you can get an Ambassador and either an ugly stick or a berkley pole that will get you out there. The Ambassador holds plenty of line and it is smooth.

18. LaBlueHunter

LaBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    first whats your idea of cheap second what do u call along distance 100+yards or what is it your saying is a long distance i myself generally cast a 14 foot breakaway stinger with a 7000 big game (black one cause the gold ones suck) and about tiny yea he can put um out there seen him hit the turbune wall at keystone many times with the brakaways he use to own seen him even hit the other side walk once but thats another story in its self a good decent rod tho with back bone an casts pretty good is the 10 foot ocean master this is what i use for fishing the piers in galvestion due to 10 foot bein the limit on some piers down there u can pick one up at academy for about 60 bux