Whats a good method for catching chubs

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Phillybass, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Phillybass

Phillybass New Member

State:
    Mansfield, OH
    I'm looking for a good method for gathering chubs and places for them in or around the mansfield area. I have one spot but its deep and rocks so netting is out any idea's i'm new back to OH and could use some help. also any good places for shad.:smile2:

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    phil. i have had limited sucess seining them, the usually hit the seine and shoot off to the sides, and they are very quick to hide up under the banks as you stumble through the water. I use chubs all season long, and simply catch mine on rod and reel using a reel small hook with a couple split shots above it on wax worms or nightcrawlers. you can also use small ice jigs tipped with a wax worm fished below a small bobber. small spinners like rooster tails work sometimes, if you fish them slowly. If the creek has an abundant supply of chubs or suckers you shouldn't have a hard time catching them on one of those simple methods. You can also us a minnow trap, but the larger chubs always come on rod and reel...goodluck to you and welcome to the site......rollo

3. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I agree Rod and reel is probly the best way i have found to get good size chubs. Minnow traps work good but i seem to get alot of them that are too small to use. I would fish rock and brush in creeks with a small hook and wax worm on a little bobber them seem to hide very easily in any kind of structure but they will come out to eat usually.

4. Phillybass

Phillybass New Member

State:
    Mansfield, OH
    thanks for the info i'll be going at it probly this weekend do you think it's to cold to catch chubs.:smile2:

5. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    The creeks I usually catch chubs in up here are all over the banks.

6. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    I agree with Jason .... you don't have to have a very big stream either ... they inhabit most any body water around ... they do like water that is well aerated. I usually like to fish a pool just below a riffle using a bobber, No. 8 hook and meal or wax worm. Fish for them close to shore. Good Luck ....... Garry-

7. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    I find the biggest ones around bridges and in the riffles and the bottom edge,I have fished for them with rod and reel and also in clean rocky bottoms find small castnet to be effective

8. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    i use small split shot and small hooks with bread or worms to get my chubs i even small suckers and sunfish. in a creek near dayton ohio clean up real well. rick

9. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    welcome to the boc phil, work in mansfield and live in fredericktown, dont know how far you want to drive, but i catch mine over at kokosing resevoir in the creek that feeds it, if you want to go fishing sometime just send me a pm lots of warmouths and sunfish in there too :wink:

10. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i always bend the barb down on the hook that way u dont injure them when removing the hook if their hooked deep or use a umbrella net put a flat rock in the center of net get the rock wet and put some flour on it set in the water wait a few minutes pull it up usally catch several that way

11. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Small creeks is where I get mine. Look for chubs to hide where you think cats would lurk if it were a bigger system. They like holes and snaggs, I've found. If the water is clear its fun to site fish them.... they will spook but they are aggressive. I've found them to be very tuned into spashes of bait. Let your bait splooosh in the water, The chubs will hone in on it quick.
    Last note. If your not getting bites or bait in a few casts. Move on....
    If they are there they will let you know.
    Good luck

12. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Phil, Any small creek, or small river (upstream), will work. I started out catching bait on the Licking river in Newark. The river is only 40 or 60ft across most of the time. The areas I caught chubs and suckers the most was the tail end of a riffle, and into the hole. Get a thin PENCIL float, clip it on your line 6 inches more than the bottom is deep, no sinkers, Cast upstream and let it come back toward you. ( So your bait just skims the bottom as it travels with the current.) Do that first, Then move the float up to about 3 or 4ft from the bait. That is the average depth of creek holes. Do the same, cast up into the riffle, and watch the float, if it moves different, set the hook. I cannot tell you what size hook I used to buy. They were Tru-Turn hooks, small enough to hook a mosquito. lol I still have a few and they are 1/4 inch tall, and 1/8 inch from the point to the shaft. All-in-All they are just like Rollo's ice jigs ,cept they are plain and you have to put on some kind of bait.

13. Phillybass

Phillybass New Member

State:
    Mansfield, OH
    Hey thanks for the info i'll look some of you guys up i like to travel some in the summer months i had a real sweet spot in SE ohio for channels and flats if anyone lives that way its in wills creek.:smile2::smile2::smile2:

14. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    welcome to boc:cool2:

15. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    just get you a small cast net, you can usually get 20 or so on one throw.

16. Phillybass

Phillybass New Member

State:
    Mansfield, OH
    I'm going to try but the creek i found has a lot of big rocks and snags in it to net looking for other places today to find some easy holes:smile2::smile2::smile2:

17. Brent Nickel

Brent Nickel New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Those big rocks and snags sounds like the perfect spot to catch chubs on hook and line. Best of both worlds, you get to do some fishing before you go fishing.

18. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Waxworms, nightcrawlers and a small spinning reel. I catch tons of them every year. the bigger ones like nightcrawlers better. (little pieces)

19. Phillybass

Phillybass New Member

State:
    Mansfield, OH
    The creeks local here went down some hopefully i'll get time today to get out and get some i got the bug i need to get a line wet.:big_smile::big_smile:

20. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I like using egg hooks or size 12 eagle claws with a small piece of worm.