What's A Good Circle Hook Rod ?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by tnkatman, Nov 13, 2005.

1. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Can Anyone Give Me Some Advice On What's The Best Rod & Reel Combination To Use When Fishing With Circle Hooks ? I Understand That The Action Of The Rod Can Help With The Hookset. I'm Not Sure If The Reel Matters. I Just Want To Know What Is Working Best For Everyone Else. Thanks.

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I always try to use fast action, stiff rods. I dont know if that is really good, becasue I think I may loose/not even notice when dinks channels hit, but I think it pays off when avg size & Up fish hit, thats just me though. I personally think it's more important to make sure you use very good rod holders vs the type of rod.

3. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I would go with a rod that is suited for the size of fish and type of water you fish the most. If we knew how, where, and What type of water you fished We could be more spiecific with the answers to your questions.
    The trick with a circle hook is the fish should be swimming away from you for the hook to set properly. No eye crossing hookset. Just pick the rod up engage the reel and start reeling.

4. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    I would think the shakespeare catera rod would be great for circle hooks. Its IM7 graphite and has a fast tip. I use it for catching skips. BIG skips. But have caught decent blues and yellows as well.

5. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I use med/heavy 7' foot Berkley rods I got at Walmart for $19.99 and have had great luck with the kitties hooking themselves. They are fairly stiff but have enough strength around where I have been fishing to do the job well. I have one med action one but really do not like it. It seems to flimsy to me. When the wind is blowing it seems to move around where my med/heavy just sits there in the holder. You need a holder that will hold your rod somewhere around a 55 degree angle. That way when they load it up they are pretty well hooked. This is just my HO. Dick

6. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here is a pic of the rod holders that Flathunter & I use. They are heavy, made from rebar but man, they are great. Of corse they dont work too well in rocks, but in mud,dirt,sand, etc... they are darn near perfect. The really allow the fish to load up on the rod. What I also like about these is that they hold big heavy rods such as Quantum Big cats w/ ease. Most other rod holders will not hold the big heavy rods well. I also have some smaller yellow metal ones. I will put my batteries for my camera on charge & take a pic of those later.

7. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    I like having circlehook rod have a little flex at the tip. I found that the Cabelas Salt Stakler rods are pretty good for this. I saw them once used in a saltwater show and was impressed by how those rods could bend with out breaking. They were fishing for gaint tarpon. I got one and like it alot. It has e-glass in it so i doubt you ever break one on a fish. This past spring I brought in a 65lb blue with without much problem. I wish the rods had alittle longer handles like the St.Croix rods, that's about the only thing I don't like about them.