Whats a good cast net?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Biscuit, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Biscuit

Biscuit New Member

State:
    Va
    and what is the best mesh or mono?

2. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would recommend a mono castnet over nylon. I would also recommend the cheapest you can find. If you do most of your castnetting from the bank, you will go through quite a few in a year. I only fish in the river and you never know for sure what you are throwing your castnet into. Good luck.

3. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i would recommend a mono cast net. if you do get it snagged which will probly happen they can most of the time be repaired with some fishing line.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think I went thru 5 castnets last year.

So the cheapos work for me.

I like mono best, but I can throw nylon good also.

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I agree with the guys about getting a mono net. Also, be sure to check your local regulations for mesh size and net diameter rules...W

6. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    If you need a fast sinker (when the bait goes deep in the winter) you'll have to spend some coin! I have been telling myself I am buying one of those 'good' ones for quite some time now but so far am just tearing up cheap ones.

Not sure how I'd feel if I trashed a $200 net!:crazy: But sometimes they are the ticket to have!

7. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    IMO, it all depends on where you will be getting bait.
    If you know the area pretty well you could get by with a more expensive, faster sinking net. They are especially useful in the winter when the shad are deep.
    For new places or rivers where the structure is always changing I would go with the cheap mono ones. You can add weight to them if you want them to sink faster.
    Wally World just had some on clearance. You might look there. I just picked up a 4 footer(radius) for 13 bucks. It doent get much cheaper than that.:smile2:

8. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Darryl,
    I'm willing to wager quite a large sum on predicting exactly how you would feel:sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2: and then some...W

9. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    I would say pick the biggest one you are allowed in the state you live in or the largest one you can afford and can still manage to throw currectly. Most guys will tell you getting bait sometimes can be a hard task.:crazy:

10. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    I use a Bett's Super Pro. 3/8 in. mesh.

11. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I use a Calusa mullet net 8 foot radius. Sinks like a rock. Pans out nice. They are expensive but worth every penny. I only use it where I am certain I won't lose it. I only throw it from a boat. Mostly I use a 100 foot gill net to catch my bait.:smile2:

12. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I agree about getting a mono net

13. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I went through about 4 or 5 mono nets last year! I seem to find every big rock and log in the lake or river system. So if your a beginner i would go with the cheaper models!

14. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Mono minimum 8fter around here in the winter:eek:oooh::wink: Shad is usually 20 35ft deep ..... I use a "Betts" 3/8's.....Betts makes a hell of a net!!!! It's just money skipeye!!!!:tounge_out::wink: Time you purchase 25 cheap nets youve surpassed the price of a good one:wink: I will say if you get a good one you will take less chances:smile2:

15. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Go to wally world and get the 14.95 castnet lol, Like everybody else I go through a few each year too