What's a Good Bait Knife ?

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by tnkatman, Dec 20, 2007.

1. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    What brand of bait knife do you use and does it have a serrated edge on it or do you just use a fillet knife for cutting up bait ?

2. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    As a general rule i hate serrated knives but my favorite bait knife is serrated. I can't remember the brand but it does an excellent job for cutting and filleting shad, skips and perch.

3. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I don't know how other feel about it but I use a good pair of meat scissors. Cost about $10 at Wal-Mart. Snips right through bone and all, I even use them to cut the tails off eaters to bleed them. I have used a small fillet knife in the past but the larger bait can be a little tough on that fine edge. I also have a could of e'cheepo bait knives in my boats, I just keep a good edge on them. Those stay in the boats just in case I forget the scissors at home.:big_smile:

Thanks
    David

4. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I use an old fillet knife I found at the lake, it's been sharpened so many times the blade is only about 4 inches long :smile2:

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    You can't beat those meat scissors from wally world.

6. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    I use a cheap fillet knife. I've used regular scissors before.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I use a cheap fillet knife, or something similar. I don't want scissors because I often fillet larger fish before cutting them up for bait. I leave the knife in the boat, so I want something made of stainless steel, but even so, they don't last but a few seasons, so I also want something cheap.

8. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
  9. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I use game shears for cutting small bait, and I have a serrated edge paring knife that works great for fileting shad or herring, made by the white handle knife guys. My old Swiss army knife stays sharp and also works well. Walmart has bait knives for ~ $1.50 that are pretty good, too.
    One thing that I do in cold weather if I'm cutting large bait is to carry a 12 volt filet knife along, makes things faster and safer if my hands get cold.

10. young fisher

young fisher New Member

State:
    Texas
    I use renegade, but haven't had the best of luck.

11. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use some sort of kniffe as well, usaully a filet knife.

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I forgot to say that I don't like using a knife with a serrated edge unless I'm cutting frozen bait. And if I'm using frozen bait, I can almost always thaw in in river water enough to cut it easily with a smooth blade, so I never carry a knife with a serrated edge...on me, or in the boat.

13. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    My bait knives take a lot of abuse. I use just a cheap fillet knife !

14. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    On a boat I like an electric knife.
    You can get rechargeable ones or 12volt operated ones these days.

Bank fishing, I'll save the weight and the risk of losing it or it getting trampled and go with a standard issue long filet knife in a leather scabbard.

15. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Another thing i forgot to mention aout the serated bait knife i use. I've had that knife for about 10 years and have cut up no telling how much bait with it and have never had to sharpen it. It was a set of knives that when sold were guaranteed to never need sharpening. I can't remember what the brand was and i looked and it's not labeled on it anywhere but it is made out of stainless steel.

16. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Now don't laugh, but some times I use my machete. Yeah that right. I always carry it in my truck to open new bank fishing spots or whack down some that are not used frequently. I hate sitting in my chair on a warm night and have grass or something tickle my legs! lol I keep it sharp and it easily cuts through bait fish that I lay on the ground or on a log. It doesn't matter where I cut bait the old thing is tough. I have never had it on a boat though I use my multi tool. Its just a cheep one, but I like having the pliers and blade handy. And if it goes over not all is lost I always carry a small pocket knife. One thing I have learned over the years is to keep my blades sharp.The easiest way to do this is be careful what you try to cut. If your knife gets dull its your fault not the knifes..:roll_eyes::eek:oooh::wink:

17. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    A regular old fillet knife works very well in the 6 inch size.