What're the blue catfish doing now?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Chris54WVa, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Chris54WVa

Chris54WVa New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I was planning a trip down the week of the 14th to the 19th.I know it's hot now,but can you tell me if you think I'm wasting my time.Is the fish doing anything now?? I usually go drifting on the lower lake at night.I just hate to spend all this money on gas and things and not catch no fish.I have caught some nice fish in the canel in early May and June,but I wasn't able to make it then. So I would very much like to come now,If the fish are biting.Thanks:big_smile:

2. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I'm not sayin they're not bitein but if I where you I would go to the James River its probably closer for you aint it.Anyway some of the boys that live down that way will give you a report soon.

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Chris54WVa, there are plenty of fish being caught right now, and the lower lake is a good place to drift. They are biting live or fresh herring, bream or perch pretty good. Lots of smaller fish, with a few big ones thrown in. I'd have to agree with ChrisBlue on the James River, though, if you're after big fish. :wink: I guess my trip up there in March just got me hooked on 'em.
    Anyway, night time is the coolest time for sure. Man, it's hot during the day!

4. Chris54WVa

Chris54WVa New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Thanks guys for the info.I am hooked on them Santee blues and flatheads.I have fished the James alot,but I just think and believe that there is no place like Santee.I have being coming there and staying since 90 and since then no other place compares to it.I guess you could say,that I'm after that monster blue that I feel that in there somewhere,you know that one over the 100 pound mark.I have a 82 pounder and a 53 pound flathead,I'm greddy now,got to beat them.lol.
    Thanks again.:smile2: :lol:

5. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I agree with you. Santee Cooper is addictive. You can almost always find someplace to catch a fish there, no matter what. You have me beat on the big fish, too. Let us know for sure when you're coming, maybe we can meet up during that time. August is a pretty busy month for me, though. Where do you plan to stay?

6. Chris54WVa

Chris54WVa New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Tommy,there is only one place that I stay at there,It's Harry's.Mike and his group of employees go out of their way to make sure that you have everything you need to make your trip enjoyable.We travel 7 hrs to get there and is usually late at night when we get there,but Mike let's us get the room and sleep some,even before we go out.I have stayed at other places to,but I like to way we are treated at Harry's .Good folks are hard to find these days.Maybe we can get together for supper one day.I will stay in contact with you.Thanks. Chris.

7. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Yeah, I like Harry's too, Chris. I'm only about 45 minutes from there. Shoot me a pm before you leave and let me know what room you'll be staying in and what boat/vehicle to look for. I'll try to get up there one day while you guys are down.