what your kids don't know

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by DirtyHowi, Sep 4, 2006.

1. DirtyHowi

DirtyHowi New Member

State:
    va
    for anyone like me who has a soldier in iraq, and a 2 year old at home or some combination of the above (anything really will do), this list is compiled every year by beloit college in wisconsin.

now on to feeling OLD

1. The Soviet Union has never existed and therefore is about as scary as the student union.
    2. They have known only two presidents.
    3. For most of their lives, major U.S. airlines have been bankrupt.
    4. Manuel Noriega has always been in jail in the U.S.
    5. They have grown up getting lost in "big boxes."
    6. There has always been only one Germany.
    7. They have never heard anyone actually "ring it up" on a cash register.
    8. They are wireless, yet always connected.
    9. A stained blue dress is as famous to their generation as a third-rate burglary was to their parents'.
    10. Thanks to pervasive headphones in the back seat, parents have always been able to speak freely in the front.
    11. A coffee has always taken longer to make than a milkshake.
    12. Smoking has never been permitted on U.S. airlines.
    13. Faux fur has always been a necessary element of style.
    14. The Moral Majority has never needed an organization.
    15. They have never had to distinguish between the St. Louis Cardinals baseball and football teams.
    16. DNA fingerprinting has always been admissible evidence in court.
    17. They grew up pushing their own miniature shopping carts in the supermarket.
    18. They grew up with and have outgrown faxing as a means of communication.
    19. "Google" has always been a verb.
    20. Text messaging is their email.
    21. Milli Vanilli has never had anything to say.
    22. Mr. Rogers, not Walter Cronkite, has always been the most trusted man in America.
    23. Bar codes have always been on everything, from library cards and snail mail to retail items.
    24. Madden has always been a game, not a Superbowl-winning coach.
    25. Phantom of the Opera has always been on Broadway.
    26. "Boogers" candy has always been a favorite for grossing out parents.
    27. There has never been a "skyhook" in the NBA.
    28. Carbon copies are oddities found in their grandparents' attics.
    29. Computerized player pianos have always been tinkling in the lobby.
    30. Non-denominational mega-churches have always been the fastest growing religious organizations in the U.S.
    31. They grew up in mini-vans.
    32. Reality shows have always been on television.
    33. They have no idea why we needed to ask "...can we all get along?"
    34. They have always known that "In the criminal justice system the people have been represented by two separate yet equally important groups."
    35. Young women's fashions have never been concerned with where the waist is.
    36. They have rarely mailed anything using a stamp.

37. Brides have always worn white for a first, second, or third wedding.
    38. Being techno-savvy has always been inversely proportional to age.
    39. "So" as in "Sooooo New York," has always been a drawn-out adjective modifying a proper noun, which in turn modifies something else
    40. Affluent troubled teens in Southern California have always been the subjects of television series.
    41. They have always been able to watch wars and revolutions live on television.
    42. Ken Burns has always been producing very long documentaries on PBS.
    43. They are not aware that "flock of seagulls hair" has nothing to do with birds flying into it.

44. Retin-A has always made America look less wrinkled.
    45. Green tea has always been marketed for health purposes.
    46. Public school officials have always had the right to censor school newspapers.
    47. Small white holiday lights have always been in style.
    48. Most of them never had the chance to eat bad airline food.
    49. They have always been searching for "Waldo."

50. The really rich have regularly expressed exuberance with outlandish birthday parties.
    51. Michael Moore has always been showing up uninvited.
    52. They never played the game of state license plates in the car.
    53. They have always preferred going out in groups as opposed to dating.
    54. There have always been live organ donors.
    55. They have always had access to their own credit cards.
    56. They have never put their money in a "Savings & Loan."
    57. Sara Lee has always made underwear.
    58. Bad behavior has always been getting captured on amateur videos.
    59. Disneyland has always been in Europe and Asia.
    60. They never saw Bernard Shaw on CNN.
    61. Beach volleyball has always been a recognized sport.
    62. Acura, Lexus, and Infiniti have always been luxury cars of choice.
    63. Television stations have never concluded the broadcast day with the national anthem.
    64. LoJack transmitters have always been finding lost cars.
    65. Diane Sawyer has always been live in Prime Time.
    66. Dolphin-free canned tuna has always been on sale.
    67. Disposable contact lenses have always been available.
    68. "Outing" has always been a threat.
    69. Oh, The Places You'll Go by Dr. Seuss has always been the perfect graduation gift.
    70. They have always "dissed" what they don't like.
    71. The U.S. has always been studying global warming to confirm its existence.
    72. Richard M. Daley has always been the Mayor of Chicago.
    73. They grew up with virtual pets to feed, water, and play games with, lest they die.
    74. Ringo Starr has always been clean and sober.
    75. Professional athletes have always competed in the Olympics.

2. DirtyHowi

DirtyHowi New Member

State:
    va
    1. The people starting college this fall across the nation were born in 1980. 2. They have no meaningful recollection of the Reagan era, and did not know he had ever been shot. 3. They were prepubescent when the Persian Gulf War was waged. 4. Black Monday 1987 is as significant to them as the Great Depression. 5. There has only been one Pope. They can only remember one other president. 6. They were 11 when the Soviet Union broke apart, and do not remember the Cold War. 7. They have never feared a nuclear war. "The Day After" is a pill to them—not a movie. 8. They are too young to remember the Space Shuttle Challenger blowing up. 9. Their lifetime has always included AIDS. 10. They never had a polio shot, and likely, do not know what it is. 11. Bottle caps have not always been screw off, but have always been plastic. They have no idea what a pull top can looks like. 12. Atari pre-dates them, as do vinyl albums. 13. The expression "you sound like a broken record" means nothing to them. 14. They have never owned a record player. 15. They have likely never played Pac Man, and have never heard of "Pong." 16. Star Wars looks very fake to them, and the special effects are pathetic. 17. There have always been red M&Ms, and blue ones are not new. What do you mean there used to be beige ones? 18. They may never have heard of an 8-track, and chances are they've never heard or seen one. 19. The compact disc was introduced when they were one year old. 20. As far as they know, stamps have always cost about 32 cents. 21. They have always had an answering machine. 22. Most have never seen a TV set with only 13 channels, nor have they seen a black & white TV. 23. They have always had cable. 24. There have always been VCRs, but they have no idea what Beta is. 25. They cannot fathom what it was like not having a remote control. 26. They were born the year Walkmen were introduced by Sony. 27. Roller-skating has always meant in-line for them. 28. "The Tonight Show" has always been with Jay Leno. 29. They have no idea when or why Jordache jeans were cool. 30. Popcorn has always been cooked in the microwave. 31. They have never seen Larry Bird play, and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is a football player. 32. They never took a swim and thought about Jaws. 33. The Vietnam War is as ancient history to them as WWI and WWII or even the Civil War. 34. They have no idea that Americans were ever held hostage in Iran. 35. They can't imagine what hard contact lenses are. 36. They don't know who Mork was, or where he was from. 37. They never heard the terms "Where's the Beef?", "I'd walk a mile for a Camel" or "De plane, de plane!" 38. They do not care who shot J.R. and have no idea who J.R. is. 39. The Titanic was found? I thought we always knew where it was. 40. Michael Jackson has always been white. 41. Kansas, Boston, Chicago, America, and Alabama are all places—not music groups. 42. McDonald's never came in Styrofoam containers. 43. There has always been MTV, and it has always included non-musical shows.

3. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Cheese 'n' rice, Larry... I aged a bunch just readin' that...:lol:
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    DANGER! Tackle store ahead, hide wallet!

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Man you really know haow to make a fella feel old, well I may be old but I am enjoying it.

5. DirtyHowi

DirtyHowi New Member

State:
    va
    1. The people starting college this fall across the nation were born in 1980.
    2. They have no meaningful recollection of the Reagan era, and did not know he had ever been shot.
    3. They were prepubescent when the Persian Gulf War was waged.
    4. Black Monday 1987 is as significant to them as the Great Depression.
    5. There has only been one Pope. They can only remember one other president.
    6. They were 11 when the Soviet Union broke apart, and do not remember the Cold War.
    7. They have never feared a nuclear war. "The Day After" is a pill to them—not a movie.
    8. They are too young to remember the Space Shuttle Challenger blowing up.
    9. Their lifetime has always included AIDS.
    10.They never had a polio shot, and likely, do not know what it is.
    11.Bottle caps have not always been screw off, but have always been plastic. They have no idea what a pull top can looks like. 12.Atari pre-dates them, as do vinyl albums.
    13.The expression "you sound like a broken record" means nothing to them.
    14.They have never owned a record player.
    15.They have likely never played Pac Man, and have never heard of "Pong."
    16.Star Wars looks very fake to them, and the special effects are pathetic.
    17.There have always been red M&Ms, and blue ones are not new. What do you mean there used to be beige ones?
    18.They may never have heard of an 8-track, and chances are they've never heard or seen one.
    19.The compact disc was introduced when they were one year old.
    20.As far as they know, stamps have always cost about 32 cents.
    21.They have always had an answering machine.
    22.Most have never seen a TV set with only 13 channels, nor have they seen a black & white TV.
    23.They have always had cable.
    24.There have always been VCRs, but they have no idea what Beta is.
    25.They cannot fathom what it was like not having a remote control.
    26.They were born the year Walkmen were introduced by Sony.
    27.Roller-skating has always meant in-line for them.
    28."The Tonight Show" has always been with Jay Leno.
    29.They have no idea when or why Jordache jeans were cool.
    30.Popcorn has always been cooked in the microwave.
    31.They have never seen Larry Bird play, and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is a football player.
    32.They never took a swim and thought about Jaws.
    33.The Vietnam War is as ancient history to them as WWI and WWII or even the Civil War.
    34.They have no idea that Americans were ever held hostage in Iran.
    35.They can't imagine what hard contact lenses are.
    36.They don't know who Mork was, or where he was from.
    37.They never heard the terms "Where's the Beef?", "I'd walk a mile for a Camel" or "De plane, de plane!"
    38.They do not care who shot J.R. and have no idea who J.R. is.
    39.The Titanic was found? I thought we always knew where it was.
    40.Michael Jackson has always been white.
    41.Kansas,Boston, Chicago, America, and Alabama are all places—not music groups.
    42.McDonald's never came in Styrofoam containers.
    43.There has always been MTV, and it has always included non-musical shows.

6. DirtyHowi

DirtyHowi New Member

State:
    va
    sorry for the double post, but i didn't clean it up first and it all looked bunched together. so i cleaned it up, but didn't get it done in 5 minutes...sheesh...rule mongers LOLOL

7. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Those were great, but now I feel so old I need a cane.:lol:

8. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    LOL, some of those were funny!!!! But yeah, I am not THAT old, but I remember just about all of those.
    Thanks, great post.

I have gotton my reading in today, thats fer sure. :lol:

9. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Thanks brother that was good, now i gotta take my Geritol. Any body remember geritol?:roll_eyes: