What' Your Fav. Flathead Structure?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Jan 2, 2008.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    many questions are brought up throughout different topics on flathead fishing, and the different areas throughout the season that we pursue them. riffles, holes, and runs make up much of our river systems we fish. some rivers have many more of these than others, and some have bigger river characteristics that consist more of depth changes, sharper drop offs, eddys, etc. while i mainly do most of my fishing on a medium size river, and a couple smaller tributaries, i target many different areas throughout the course of the year for them. for example, early spring when water temps. are still cool, with elevated water levels that spring usually brings, i like to target small feeder creeks, that usually have slightly warmer temperatures then. around spawn, i look for them sharp dropping cutbanks that may have big root systems associated with them, or i really like big boulder rock areas also for spawn.. mid-late summer, i try to fish logjams that are close to holes, or areas between the riffle and hole, intercepting the late night travel zones.. you get the idea.. so my question to all you flathead guys out there if you had to pick one structure or area all season long what would it be? and where? mine would be below a shallow riffle that has a quick dropping hole, directly below it. with alot of rock associated throughout the area.. so shoot your answers, i would like to hear your opinions brothers!!....goodluck in 08'...rollo

2. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i have really good luck just down river from the small creek mouths with drop offs into the main river .. 1 particular spot i fish drops from 15' to 36' and is usually piled with logs on the bottom .. live shad or a big slab of skipjack will usually coax them out... i have lost some big ones in the logs down there!! i have caught more 5-15 pound flats in that hole than i could count... biggest that i have landed was around 20#

3. joadb

joadb New Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    i do pretty good fishing tributary mouths-seams and eddys in this area.

4. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    My favorite locations are in and around old retired or abandoned barges. Also old blown up dam structures in the bottom of major river systems.

5. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    In my area if I could only fish one type it would be a sand flat close to deep water where the shad stay.In the river below sand bars and back currents.

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My favorite locations are scour holes on the down stream side of bridge pillars...I have several I fish alot...Last year I pulled 2 over 40 out of one scour hole in the daytime, this was in late July early August...In the spring during prespawn I love Shallow water areas that are close to deep holes with timber.

7. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Until now, most all of my flathead fishing has been from bank and the spots that seem to hold the most fish are deep cut banks loaded with flat slab rip rap so they have some nice undercuts to hide in durring the day.

Will be spending more time in the boat this year so I am taking notes...:wink:

Salmonid

8. FDR

FDR New Member

State:
    Ohio,Cincinnati
  9. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I have had my best luck fishing flats in log jams around bridge pillars pulled alot of nice 5 to 20 lb fish out of on particular spot this year. I also like fishing little slues that come off the main current of the river seems alot of bait fish come in and caught some nice flats in these kinds of areas.

10. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hmmm. I'm not sure what name to put on it, so I'll have to try to explain:

Most of my preferred river consists of fairly shallow (2 to 6 foot) sand flats that stretch most of the way accross the river in some places. I like little shutes where the channel runs right against the bank (good woody cover on the bank) so that there's a fairly narrow slot of deeper water (8 to 10 feet deep) until it rises up to the sand flat. This seems to make for a nice travel route and feeding lane.

11. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    During high water conditions, my favorite spot is below a low head dam. They seem to stack up in the pool away from the current.

During low water conditions, I fish bridge pilings.

12. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    If I had to pick just one for the entire season it would be wood (downed tree) in or within 5-10 feet of the channel.

13. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    i like to fish rock piles just down from riffles prefferably on a good river bend with a little slack area behind it.But a perfect spot is hard to find

14. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    All my fish this year came from wood in 2 - 10 ft. of water.

15. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    I prefer around large stumps, logs, and any tree laying in the water.

16. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    three places for me one timber in the river throw a bluegill or goldfish near timber and watch the magic. two, low dams find a nice hole in it and sure enough there will be a nice flat in it. three bridge pilings with a nice hole should be a nice flat waiting for you good luck

17. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thanks katkiller, but the question was if you had to pick one place only, which would it be...rollo

18. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    I mainly fish lakes so I look for submerged timber in fairly shallow water or tree stumps

19. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    the river i fish has a hard gravel bottom and is fairly swift in most places so there is hardly any timber or submerged trees fish can hold, might get lucky finding some washed up against a bridge piling. my favorite "structure", if you want to call it that, is a nice "flat" area that runs from 6-10ft adjacent to sharp drops that go to depths of 20-30ft or more.....preferably at the "head" of a hole or long deep stretch. during the evening i find the very front of the deep hole/stretch and mid-depth edges of the drops to be very good for the "evening feed". at night, after midnight or so the flats produce best. second favorite would be slack water along steep concrete rip-rap. there i like to fish a "paternoster style" slip float rig about 8-12ft deep after dark. shad love to feed on the algea on the concrete and if the water isnt too swift the flatties will be there too. during the day i like a nice deep spot just out of a main current behind some of those big piles of concrete slabs on the bottom.