What you think of this theory?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by AwShucks, Aug 21, 2006.

1. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Reading the thread about noodling got me to thinking. Last year a bait store proprietor told me about these two guys who would come out and noodle around the boat ramp. Seems they always got one or two. I was wondering why a cat would hang around such a noisy, busy place. This year, with the drought and lake levels down 5 to 5 feet, I think I found the answer. At the ends and sides of the ramps are holes or depressions in the lakes floor. These boats come in and use the motor to pull the boat off a trailer, causing prop wash... and then they use the motors to push the boat back on the trailer when they are through...causing more prop wash. This has moved the sand/silt/mud away from the concrete edges. Now, what would happen if you dropped a perch off the back edge of the ramp some night?

2. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Not only are most Boat Ramps undermined from prop wash, a lot of people throw out their left over bait.Cover and food.Ideal cat spot.peewee-williams

3. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    AwShucks by Golly I think you might be on to Something there! I know I Will Be Giveing it a try. Thanks:big_smile:

4. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    sounds good but what you going to say when they run over your lines? some of our boat ramps have lights that draw bait fish also. maybe alright in the cooler months but summer time i dont know about.

5. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Hey lawrence Its good you brought this up. Me and a friend have been fishin s certain lake for about ten years and the boat ramp is one of the best spots on the lake especially in mid afternoon on weekdays when the boat traffic isnt to heavy. It might also stir up small crustacians and other forage from the prop wash

6. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    yeah ramps provide good fishin but be respectful of boaters tryin to launch and load ,iv seen people set up right in the middle of the ramp and not move had to actually tell one guy to get out of the way to launch my boat

7. Sunburn

Sunburn New Member

State:
    Williamsto
    Not long ago, a pal of mine got a bunch of fishing line wrapped around the lower uint of his outboard at a ramp. Didn't know about it till too late. Line cut seals, water got in and about ruined lower unit. Also, not everyone has a drive on trailer. Some folks choose to wade into the water to guide their boat on to the trailer. Stepin on fish hooks left behind from broken off lines is also a bad deal. Just my thoughts anyway.

8. KYCATFISHHUNTER

KYCATFISHHUNTER New Member

State:
    NORTHERN KENTUCKY
    i think it sounds like a pretty good idea. i would just be respectful when boaters launch their boats. other than that fish on.

9. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Good infromation haven`t thought about cats my pb trout was caught at aramp:cool2:

10. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Sounds good to me, just be able to move in a hurry if need be. Good Luck.

11. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    hmmmm sounds probable....i'll let you know

12. bigmike

bigmike New Member

State:
    Kankakee,Illinois
    Sounds like a purty decent theory you have there.

13. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Some folks also release their catch at the ramp after pics or deciding it isn't worth the effort to clean just one or two.

14. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    guess I found a new place to check out when I go to the lake...

15. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    A few years back I read an article about a fisherman using the dock on Lake of the Ozarks to fish.He stated he found this out because he was a crappie fisherman.He would use the boat ramp(Maybe it was his own personal ramp) to gut and clean the crappie and he always noticed something coming to top and grabbibg the remains of the fish he was cleaning.So I guess he decided to investigate.He found out he had huge catfish laying in wait for his fish guts,so I think if you was to go and the boating traffic wasn't heavy you might find a gold mine so to speak---------pk powell:smile2:

16. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Sounds like a good plan, but the idiot park rangers around here would write ya up. No fishing from ramp, no swimming near ramp. I've fished around the sides of the ramp before, but they always give me the third degree. Even if you're not actually on the ramp or blocking access, they'll pull their Barney Fife routine on you.

You can't even get a boat in the water at our lake, but one of the rangers threatened to give me a ticket the other day for parking in one of the 100 or so boat trailer parking places. So, I have to park about 400 yards from my catfishing spot, walk through the boat trailer parking lot (always empty) and down the 150 or so yards to the water. Our lake is at around 8% full and it's pretty much impossible to get a boat in or out, but they're gonna make sure nobody parks in those parking places.

17. jmfraz

jmfraz New Member

State:
    Houston, Texas
    I have done good around boat ramps. My buddy does better around the boat ramp than I do but I am working on that!!