What you think about this Garcia fishing reel?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by LadyValea1, Sep 8, 2006.

1. LadyValea1

LadyValea1 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
  2. shotdemducks

shotdemducks New Member

State:
    kansas
    i have one and have never had any problems so far. Thumbcast is nice I use it on my lake fishing pole, price aint bad either really. Have someone help ya adjust it and practice,practice, practice with it and you will get it. THEY ARE NOT AS HARD TO USE AS THEY SEEM. My son learned at 5 yrs old to cast one.

3. LadyValea1

LadyValea1 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    thanks for the reply...I've a question about loading line on it?
    whats up with the power pro line and having to put mono line on the first 20 ??? yards??? then uni tie together?

do you rec the power pro line for this reel?

Its going to feel weird without a pushbuttom release...and the drag adjusting thingy is still something I'm not sure about.

I like using the three-way swivel rig . do I use the same power pro line for the leader lines?
    thanks...

4. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ihave the 6600 rocket and i love it cast really well

5. DTro

DTro Active Member

State:
    Minnesota

I have to respectfully disagree with that statement. First of all the PP WILL slip without backing. Yes the electrical tape will work and I've used that method, but with the price of PP it makes more sense to spool up a bunch of mono backing maybe 50yds and fill the rest with PP. Trust me, the reel will cast a ton better with a full spool.
    Stupid and a waste of time........I think not:cool2:

Remember to set you free spool knob correctly. To do this, reel up the bait you are using, hold your rod tip up, hit free spool and adjust the knob so that the bait slowly falls freely and the spool stops when the bait hits the ground. This will be a good starting point to minimize the "professional overrun" (backlash:tounge_out:).

Good luck with the new reel it should be a good performer and last a long time. A bit undersized for really big fish, but should work fine for the majority.

6. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    The abu's is all I use but I don't have the rocket yet.

7. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    It's a good reel, I have one and like it.

8. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I also use the electrical tape backing, it works for me. When learning to cast dont use the powerpro, I used the cheapest mono I could find to learn to cast. Once your confortable casting you can put the pp on.

9. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    The cheapest line is often stiff. Big Game isn't that costly and, in my opinion, better for learning to cast.

10. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    I use spiderwire a lot for spinning and baitcast reels.
    I wrap it a couple of times around the spool, then tie it on and haven't had that slip.

Like DerbyCity said, buy some cheap mono to learn to cast with.

What I tell people (who are using for bass fishing) is this.
    tie something heavy on like a 3/8-1/2 oz sinker or one of those practice plugs.

tighten up the spool tensioner (that little knob on the side that adjusts the tension on the spool) until the line won't come out even with the reel dis-engaged.

loosen up the tension slowly until the weight will slowly pull the line out.

as you get better at casting you can loosen up the tensioner more which will allow you to cast farther.

The whole trick is to become familiar with using your thumb to keep the spool from spinning too quickly.

If you are just catfishing with1-2 oz or heavier baits/sinkers, usually you can adjust as I mentioned earlier and take your thumb off until right before the weight hits the water.

11. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    LadyV, If you are not going 50lb or higher with the power-pro, stick with mono. the lighter test PP wil just give you fits cause it will break when frayed on rocks and debris. I don't bother with the uni-knot, just put on 10 to 20 yrds of mono backing ( tight as you can) then put a strip of elec. tape to hold in place then tie the PP around the spool like normal. If a fish takes all your line that last 10 yrds aint gonna matter anyway LOL.

12. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i think the 5600 rocket would make a good starter Baitcaster. I learned on a 4600 just a little smaller.Just remember the brake is are freind :)