what you catfish if...

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by jolie, Feb 16, 2009.

Moved to New england; would you catfish for the little guys?

1. NO; I'd tell my wife goodby and grab the poles and leave to go live and fish at HOME

2. NO; Gotta be big; probably catch those belly whopping rockfish (ie stripped bass)

3. YEP; grab the small tackle and have fun catfishing for the whites

4. NO; Three months is not SO long; I'd wait till I could come back to fish on Home waters

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    Been reading and thinking a little of the plight of a NC angler who's moving to massachutes for the summer...

Now the USA is blessed with some really great catfish waters and the big three "channel, blue, flathead" roam through MUCH of the lower. Unfortunately for him

New england really gets the short end of the catfishing stick. Blue and flathead are definitely not present. And channels are rare and invasive (where they occur)...

the 'native' catfish of New england (including mass) is a smallish catfish called the white catfish. pretty fish, but It doesn't get too much bigger than bullheads (some of which also frequent new england)....

now this site, hosts a lot big guys who like to drag catfish the size of chest freezers out of river with tough tackle. its obvious the power and size of these mighty monsters fosters alot of obsession...but what I'm wondering , if your dear wife; packed up the truck and moved you too lowly new england- would you still catfish?

are you obsessed with TROPHY catfishing or trophy CATfishing? or maybe just FISHING....?:smile2: (that'd be me- and I think even in new england I would fish for CATFISH!)

2. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Good post brother. Here in my local waters, only the channel cat roams. Blues and flats are 4 hrs away. In my kneck of the woods, a cat an the 20's, we'll be a trophy:wink: I say catfishing is a way of life. It is about fishing for me. :wink:

3. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    I just like to fish. Enjoying time on the water. Big is fun - so is small. Just want to fish.

4. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I would have to find the biggest fish available and go for them....whether that was Stripers or something " BIG ":wink:

5. alpal16

alpal16 New Member

State:
    Philly, PA
    I would probably go for the biggest a lot of the time...but I would put in some time mastering the smaller cats on light tackle and improve my fly fishing skills.

6. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    I'd be grabbing a pole and hit the water. I don't have to fish for the big ones all the time. I can have a blast fishing for channels or whatever is available. It's the getting out on the water part and kicking back that keeps me coming back.

There is just something about getting away from the everyday hassles that appealing to me. No phones, no TV, no bosses, or internet, just getting out on the rivers and relaxing.

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Fishing's fishing. Just go for it. I have just as much enjoymen catching bluegills and crappie as I do a big ole walleye or a big bluecat.:cool2:

8. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don't catch alot of big catfish, but what keeps me going...and what keeps my interest on a slow day of fishing is the prospect of hooking into a drag-burner. I'm not as ambitious as some on this site, and I'm not equipped to catch a state record, BUT without the prospect of catching a respectable sized catfish...I wouldn't fish for them. I do eat catfish, so I like catching the smallish ones, and I do spend hours and hours panfishing...because they are delish...but nah, I wouldn't bother with the bullheads, and white cats. I don't intentionally bother with channel cats either anymore. Maybe I have lost sight of what fishing is about, but I don't even fish local ponds and lakes any more because I know what's in there. I like to fish where you just never know what ya might hook into. If I lived in New England, I would probably convert to salt water fishing.

Wouldn't happen though. I live just north of the Missouri River, and that is the farthest north I am willing to live. I'm not a "winter person". There are a few things I would like to see in the north east, but living there is not an option for me. Just the though of not having big catfish to catch would be too much to bear.

9. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I'd probably learn what's in the area, and If I liked fishing for it, might be OK..But, I'd always be thinkin' about Flatheads....
    My favorite Flatcat water is 4 hours away from here..Make the trip every chance I can make!!!!:wink:

10. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Looks like plenty of big fish to me. A 26.5 pound channel would suit me just fine. But then that Northern Pike is impressive too! lol

MassWildlife's Freshwater Fish Records*

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SPECIES[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]WATER BODY[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]WEIGHT[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ANGLER[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]YEAR[/FONT]​

Bass, Largemouth
    Sampson Pond

Carver
    15 lbs 8 oz
    Walter Bolonis

Bass, Smallmouth
    Wachusett Reservoir

8 lbs 2 oz
    Barbara Sasen

Bullhead
    Forest Lake

Methuen
    4 lbs 10 oz
    Robert Coffill

Carp
    Connecticut River

44 lbs 2 oz
    Roger Pyzocha

Catfish, Channel
    Ashfield Lake

Ashfield
    26 lbs 8 oz
    Dana Dodge

Catfish, White
    Baddacook Pond

Groton
    9 lbs 3 oz
    Michael Payne

Crappie
    Jake's Pond

Plymouth
    4 lbs 10 oz
    James Crowley

Perch, White
    Wachusett Reservoir

3 lbs 5 oz
    Ray Richford

Perch, Yellow
    South Watuppa Pond

Fall River
    2 lbs 12 oz
    James O'Conner

Pickerel, Chain
    Laurel Lake

Lee
    9 lbs 5 oz
    Mrs. James Martin

Pike, Northern
    South Pond

Brookfield
    35 lbs 0 oz
    Don Greenwood Jr.

Salmon, Broodstock
    Lake Mattawa

Orange
    22 lbs 15 oz
    Donald Savoy

Salmon, Landlocked
    Wachusett Reservoir

10 lbs 2 oz
    Richard Gagne

Shad, American
    Connecticut River

11 lbs 4 oz
    Bob Thibodo

Sunfish
    South Athol Pond

South Athol
    2 lbs 1 oz
    Heather Bulger

Tiger Muskellunge
    Pontoosuc Lake

Pittsfield
    27 lbs 0 oz
    James Lambert

Trout, Brook
    Otis Reservoir

Otis
    6 lbs 4 oz
    Thomas Laptew

Trout, Brown
    Wachusett Reservoir

19 lbs 10 oz
    Dana Deblois

Trout, Lake
    Wachusett Reservoir

24 lbs 0 oz
    Michael Sienkiewicz

Trout, Rainbow
    Wachusett Reservoir

13 lbs 13 oz
    Jeffrey Greco

Trout, Tiger
    Peters Pond

Sandwich
    9 lbs 7oz
    Michael Shelton

Walleye
    Quabbin Reservoir

11 lbs 0 oz
    Robert Methot

11. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Im in a similar situation. I grew up 3 blocks from the Ohio River in Indiana and catfished religiously. The last couple years I targeted big blues mainly but also big flatties. But last summer I packed up and moved to Denver, CO. Channels are all we have. So my catfishing has slowed considerably. I have been out a couple times and fighting 4-5 pound channels is always fun on light tackle. But now I have gotten into fly fishing for all the trout species and walleye fishing. I still fish, just changed the target, now i target bait :smile2:

12. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Heck! fishing is fishing. relaxing, kicking back not worrying about everyday life. putting work on the back burner. being one with nature. just having fun regardless you catch fish or not. I usually target Catfish, but other species catch my interest too!! of course catching big fish is fun, but catching fish period is fun too!!

13. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I think I'd be camped on the beach with my A-Gs mounted on surf rods slinging big chunks of cutbait for anything that was big enough to make it fun. I catfish the MO close to home because you never know how big of a fish is in there - it'd be the same (only BIGGER:wink:) if I had the ocean close:smile2:

14. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    I'd fish for whatever I could. However, as much as I love to fish, if my wife said that she had an opportunity of a lifetime and we had to move where there was no water.... I'd do it! Follow your wife, she's your real catch. Fish when and where you can, for whatever you can.

15. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    I would fish for the little ones. but I would also hit the ocean and catch some monsters. i'd like to catch a huge goliath grouper

16. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Oh, suck it up and go after the whites. We've actually got a few of them in the waters I'm at from where they were stocked many years ago. I probably caught a state record on trotline and didn't know it.

17. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    The dog and I would really miss her ; )~

18. westvirginiacatfish

westvirginiacatfish New Member

State:
    Ronceverte
    I would fish while I could. Fishing is fun no matter what you catch Big or Small.:smile2::smile2::tounge_out:

19. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    I don't like little bitty fish. LOL

20. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    i like my chances around here so i think id stay haha