What ya plan on putting in your garden?

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by 223reload, Feb 28, 2009.

1. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    This year I plan on starting some seeds instead of buying plants for my pepper and tomatoes. I got jolikias,fatillas and scotch bonnet pepper seeds from Jeremy. I bought some heriloom yellow pear tomatoe seed,Also might start pickling cuces. Our garden this year will be onions[white ],at least 6 varieties of hot peppers,okra,zuccini squash,german black radish,regular radish,bush beans,cucumbers,garlic,and dill for pickling. might be bigger if my wife decides it aint enough work for me :crazy:

2. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    We never have a garden, as such, but I will put out the usual tomato plants, pepper plants, & maybe some cantelope and/or melons & some squash. I tried a new spot in the yard last year, & it didn't get enough sun. Nothing made very good. Maybe I'll do better this year. Has anyone had any luck with any of those Heirloom tomatoes, or those funny striped or yellow tomatoes? Just curious.

3. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I got them Hot Hot Hot pepper seeds from Jeremy also. Gonna gropw them and some different maters this year, thats all.

4. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Not gonna do much this year myself, Bell peppers for stuffing, always have Gaaaalic, and Lemon Pepper cukes, (they are the best) maybe a few rows a yukon golds for putting up this fall. Going to be staying at the lake most this summer and don't feel like running back home all the time to tend to it, but, the neighbor across the field asked if he could use the remainder in trade for some goodies so heck why not..... LOL! Oh I am going to try some of the "salad" stuff in some 2'x5' boxes I made to keep at the campsite, hope they turn out ok, a good frsh salad and fresh fish...... Come ON SPRING! :smile2:

5. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Reload, I always buy my plants,, I will hopefully get about 3 flats of tomato's and peppers,

I picked up a gross of 3x3 square peat pots,, I want to start my melons and squash in them early. I picked up a 2000' roll of that 5 foot wide 1 mil black plastic,,, I want to try putting my melons on plastic this year. I got 13 50 foot rolls of soaker hose off Menard's this winter,,, they had it marked way down,, I want to put that under the plastic,, and have a way of watering those melons...I can get one of those plastic things you stick Miracle Grow in and feed those melons with that soaker hose.

I want a bigger garden with less work,,, lol

Last year I took the tractor and had the loader bucket filled with that rotten saw dust and horse manure,,, and as I was planting tomato's,,, I put that stuff on about 6" thick or so,,,, boy that was nice,,, no weeds in the tomatos,,,, just water and pick. lol

A little more work at planting,,, but then you are done for the season.

I'm also going to try flaming weeds,,, that's what the organic farmers are doing,,,, I'm trying to get away from chemicals,,, I would have a booming worm population if I got away from chemicals. Besides all the good chemicals, I need a license to use and buy. lol

I put some crawlers in those compost piles,,, last year as I got it with the loader bucket it had lots of red worms in it,,, Hey worms are a good thing. lol

6. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    My main thing is potatoes. I'm planning on putting in 75 to a 100 or so. I've already planted 56 but I ran out, so now I'm gonna wait a month and plant some more when the almanac says to do it. Last year was my first year and they did pretty good. This year I know a lot more so hopefully they'll be even better. I've already put out a bunch of onion sets too. Probably 200.:wink:

I'll also plant a few kinds of tomatoes, a few kinds of cucumbers, squash, cantelope, and I want to plant some kind of peas. Can you grow black eye peas? I haven't seen any.

Then one end of the garden will be sweet corn.

And I want to learn how to "can" this year. So I'll be askin questions about that pretty soon. :smile2:

7. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    This year I plan on growing lots of stuff in my 3 gardens. Hopefully my back will allow me to do so. I plan on growing lots of...........

tomatoes, peppers, squash, onions, cucumbers, corn, cabbage, okra, melons, potatoes, turnip greens, green beans, peas, carrotts, oh and did I mention lots of Watermelons! With the economy as it is...I would recommend to grow all you can and can all you grow, or freeze it! Could be a rough year for many! Heres a couple pics from last years peppers, I like to eat them fresh and can a bunch for ther rest of the year.

Attached Files:

8. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    My garden, albeit gets smaller every year, but it always has spring onions, Cucumbers, radishes, and a tomato plant or 2 in it. Long as I can get some spring onions, I'm good to go.

9. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Red bell peppers and "TONS" of cherry maters. LOL! Did I mention cherry maters? LOL!

10. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    I always plant plenty of beefsteak tomatoes. I love tomatoes on my sandwiches and given that my garden is small, tomatoes provide the best bang for the buck. We have tried various cultivars of peppers with little success.

John, that's an impressive crop of peppers you had last year!

11. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I grew over 75 pepper plants and actually picked this many peppers about every 3 or 4 weeks. I grew way too many and have dozens of jars still put up. This year I will only grow what I need. I guess I could always set up a booth at the farmers market......nah...that would cut into my fishing time too much.:wink:

12. scout

scout Active Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hey George, I was wondering do you like cherry maters :smile2:. I also love them and they will be in my garden this year along with cucumbers, corn, bell peppers, and butterbeans. Good luck to everyone on their upcoming gardens.:006:

13. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Me and my family are thinking about putting out a garden this year if we do hopefully we will plant some potato's, cucumbers, radishes, and some onions and tomatoes, and prob corn on the cob.

14. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    second week in april, i`ll plant tomatoes, bell and hot pepper, cucumbers, squash, green beans and pinto beans, then a little a later i`ll plant some okra. last summer my wife canned 300 jars of canned tomatoes, pecante sause, plus green beans and jalapeno relish. i can`t wait until i get some on the table!

15. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I plan on growing beets, turnips, corn, tomatoes, squash (winter and summer), pole beans, potatoes, sweet potatoes and pumpkins.

16. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    My garden grows in pots (lack of space), but I have tomatoes and assorted peppers. Tomatoes are blooming!!

17. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I've put 4 bunches of onions in the ground but so far thats it. Got some sleet this morning and i'm glad onions is all i have out. I'll put out tomatoes and pepper plants, okra, squash, cucumbers and perhaps a row or two of beans. Wish i had enuff ground to raise a patch of corn. Gardens tilled up but i need to get another load of manure and work it in before i plant everything. This year i won't make the mistake of pourin miracle grow over the top of my mater plants. Burnt them suckers to a chrisp.Live an learn.:embarassed:

18. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Mostly tomatoes, and an assortment of peppers. That's what we get the most use out of. We may have some gourds and pumpkins pop up in various places in the yard because we tossed a bunch of them by the shed, and the edge of the garden to rot.

19. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Lettuce bed with cabbage,tomatoes seed in ,already coming up good.Also got onions,beans peas and a row of greens planted.Cantaloupe,watermelon,corn,winter and summer squash and other odds and ends still to be planted as soon as it dries up some.
    Jake

20. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Right now..... "MY BOAT"!!! the wife is pi$$ed!!!!! :smile2::smile2: