What would you use?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Catfish Willy57, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Catfish Willy57

Catfish Willy57 New Member

State:
    georgia
    I'm new to the BOC but not new to fishing. I would like to tap into some of the knowledge you all have about gearing up for large blues. I fish a lake that has blues over 80lbs. I'm currently using 3 7ft Ugly Stik catfish rods, large spinning reels spooled with 65lb Power Pro with a 30lb mono leader. I use standard stick in the ground rod holders that hold the rods at approx a 45 degree angle. I sink these rod holders a minimum of two feet in the ground. Last Friday, I had one hit that pulled the rod holder out of the ground, rod went into the lake, I went in the lake, grabbed the rod, leader snapped, fish is still in the lake. My fault, the drag was set to tight. I've landed blues between 30lb and 40lb with no problems but these big ones seem a little large for my equipment. I would like the rods not to cost over $30 and the reels not over $30. Let me know your thoughts on line weight and hook size and preferences. I fish cut bait 90% of the time. I appreciate and look forward to your recommendations.

Catfish Willy57

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    First of all welcome. Only thing I will say is "Why take a knife to a gun fight" $30 reels in my opinion are gonna perform that way. JMO

3. Catfish Willy57

State:
    georgia
    Price on the reels is a guess. Don't want them to break the bank. What are some of the better spinning reels out there within reason?

Thanks,

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Your current outfit should work for those fish. You just gotta get the head screwed on the fisherman right. If you suspect there are fish in the body of water capable of pulling your outfit into the water, you need to secure the outfit better. Most rod type pole holders (re-bar, round-rod, pvc) will generally pull out of the ground just as easy as they went in. Use them to hold your rod at the angle you want to fish, but don't trust them. I fasten about a 10' piece of polypropylene rope to my pole and to the pole holder. It may pull my pole in, but I am pretty darn sure I can pull my pole out also. If I am boat fishing, I tie a shorter rope to my poles. If you figure each pole costs about $75.00 to set up, I am just not crazy about the idea of watching the outfit disappear. The pic is one of the short ropes for the boat. Simply put one hook around the pole in front of the reel, and hook the other to a permanent fixture on the boat.

Attached Files:

5. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    My opinion for rods in that price range are American Spirit nite sticks or nite stick pro series(20 to 45$ at Catfish Connection). As for reels, I would say use casting gear. An entry level baitcaster will almost always hold more line and have a better drag than a spinning reel of comparable cost(Shakespeare tidewater 20L or 30L are good for about 35$ at Wal-mart).For hooks, I use big circles(Gamakatsu 8/0 are hard to beat for the money). My only other advice is to use a stronger leader(50 lb. maybe) , put your rod holders at a higher angle(even straight up), and loosen your drag a little(you can always tighten it if needed, but if it's too tight your line could break). When you do catch that biggun just remember, let 'em go and let 'em grow!, and welcome to the BOC!

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Welcome to the BOC, I think u would be better off with a Abu 6000, 6500, or 7000. they will hold up much better.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Bill Welcome to the BOC.I look forward to reading your post.:0a25::0a18::0a25:

8. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Bill,welcome to the B.O.C., best catfishing community on the planet.

I would suggest the Shimano 6500 Baitrunner spinning reel. They are about $109 new, but you can get them on ebay for about $60-$80. Also I would upgrade to 80 pound mono leader using a snell knot at the hook and a palomar knot at the swivel. Good luck.

9. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    Welcome to the Boc! Now where in joeja be dem 80lb blues?:eek:oooh:

10. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    I don't think it is an equipment problem. You can land a big one, if she can't get in the brush. You said it all when you said the drag was too tight. That being said, I don't know if a $30 reel can hold up to many 80 lb fish. I love Abu 6500's, but if I could routinely catch fish over 35 lbs, I would move up a step or two, since I don't, that is what I use, on 7 ft Ugly sticks.

Jim

11. 32#fishnamedjoe

32#fishnamedjoe New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i use a zebco733 on a tiger rod with 20 lb stren, 2 ,1/2 oz bullet sinkers set so they slide,and a decent size kahle hook been workin so far

12. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    hey i think ur equipment is fine, i landed a 30ib carp with 4ib test, the carp was foul hooked therefor it fought more, it was a tiny lite reel 14$ and a 11$ bass pro rod, very cheap and it still works, ur equipment shuold be fine!

13. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to land an 80lb cat on your current setups. If you are still concerned; re-inforce your rod holders better, up the poundage of your leader, and loosen your drag...you should be set to go.

If you still want to upgrade-- Personally, I think the Ugly Stik Catfish rods are great and Okuma, Pflueger, and Shimano all make some nice spinning reels capable of landing big fish, some come with baitrunners, some do not-- depends on your preference. Keep in mind though they will run you around $75.00 on average. I will have to agree with the others, $30 reels will give you mediocre results at best, you'll be better off in the long run with the larger investment...outfit one rod at a time to help cushion your wallet.

14. Catfish Willy57

State:
    georgia
    I appreciate all the great ideas. I went and spent some of the wife's anniversary money.:eek:oooh: I got 3 10ft. Daiwa Eliminators, 80lb braid and 50lb mono leader line. I'm still using my Shakespear reels but I'm thinking about those baitrunners. Are they worth the price? I also had a buddy weld up some rod holders out of re-bar. I put these rigs to the test over the holiday. Biggest blue was only 28lbs but I caught over a dozen between 8 and 15. No problems with the rigs and they cast a mile. Buddy caught one that went 42lbs and his son got spooled by one that he couldn't turn. Caught all the fish on cut shad with the bigger fish coming on the heads. That 28 pounder bowed the rod clear over and that rod holder didn't move. Looking forward to hearing from you all. Tightlines to everybody...

15. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Welcome to the boc, I glad that you seem to have fixed you problem

16. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    I agree 100%. These reels are hard to beat. Got clickers too which is hard for me to do without.

17. DADJBW

DADJBW New Member

State:
    texas
    as one of the other members was asking...which lake are you fishing? Boat or on land? please share.

18. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    I would have to agree with some of these guys and put the spinning reel away. Use bait casters if you don't know how its not hard to learn. They perform better, last longer and when you get the hang of catfishing with one you will most likely never use a spinning set up again. At least not for blues. And I don't know about these other guys but I have more problems with spinning reels than bait casters by far. Mostly line twist and backlash. My buddy was fishing with a huge spinning rig and set the hook on a small cat and the bail fell off and it was a new reel:confused2:. But you get what you pay for. I personally use 2 7ft MH Ugly Stick with a Abu 5500 w\20lb mono. Also a 7ft MH catfish Ugly Stick with an Abu 7000 w\30lb Cajun Redline. With a 1oz egg sinker you can chunk that thing over 50yds. Good luck with your decision and I hope you get a big one. Fish that is.

19. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Those baitrunners (Shimano) are great many of fish have been landed using these. I don't personally own one but have heard and seen them in action. Anything from carp to shark and anything in between. They are a bit pricey. I am horrified of the thought of losing my equipment in the water. :cry::beat_brick:I set the drag a bit loose and if I have to walk away I put it in freespool mode. I know it only takes one second to be distracted for something like this to happen though. If you are going with spinning reels I would have to go with Shimano. I have one that is over ten years old and have battled everything from carps to a stingray once and it still works flawlessly.

20. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Welcome to the Brotherhood. Step up to the Abu's 6000 or 6500. They make a world of differance. Good luck and happy fishing.