What would you use?

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by tfabry, Feb 18, 2007.

1. tfabry

tfabry New Member

State:
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    Hey what would you use? We have a approx 400lb sow black bear on our property up north. She has cubs that in the fall were about 80lbs - 100lbs. each. I'm hoping that I get lucky enough to get a bear permit this year and if I do what should I use? There is so much mixed veiws about what size rifle to use. The hunting would be fairly close range. Approx 30 -40 yards from the stand.

Thanks - Todd

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Its my understanding that black bears arent particularly hard to bring down I'd use what ever caliber I normally use for deer . Since you are talkin close ranges you ought to be ok.

3. riverratmatt

riverratmatt New Member

State:
    ky, totz
    if it was me i would try to get one with a bow

4. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    30-40yrds a 270 or 300 will stop her in her tracks. I would try with a bow 1st though and carry a side arm like a 357 or 44 just in case. Good luck

5. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I think I would go after one of the younger bears and leave that sow to breed but if you want to hunt her, you can kill a bear with anything you hunt deer with including a bow. I harvested a large male up in Canada a few years ago with a 62lb pull compound bow over bait at about 25 yards.

6. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Definatly use a bow unless you have a handicap that keeps u from doing so.