What would you suggest?

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by flathead willie, Dec 20, 2009.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I am about out of the powder that I've been using for several years. I load both 30-30 and 30-06 with it. I want to try a new recipe with the new can of powder. My book is pretty old and the IMR 3031 is the best overall performance in both guns from the 30 year old charts I have. Does anyone have a newer book with some newer powders? I'm looking for one powder that will work well in both calibers. Any ideas?

I load 170 and 180 grain flat nose or soft round point bullets.

I've been loading 27 grs. of IMR 3031 in the 30-30.

I load 45 grs. of IMR 3031 in the 30-06.

Both leave plenty of empty room in the case.

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri

3. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    How many grains for a 170-180 grain bullet?

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Billie,Do a printout of the load recipes you want at this website
    www.hodgdon powder.com I have several pages printed that I add to my list of load recipes when I'm looking for a different one. ok well the link wont work,But their website has some cool stuff.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  5. BubbaCat

BubbaCat Well-Known Member

State:
    Arizona
    :007: you going to let the genie out of the lamp. better stick to IMR3031 .
    Any place you find powder should have free new literature . there are so many to choose from nowadays.

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for clearing that up Matt.

7. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks guys. That chart says a 180 grain (30-06) will fly 2500-2700 FPS. I'll have to check my notes to see what I'm getting now, but they don't even list the IMR 3031 on that chart. Remington factory loads claim about 2900 FPS.

8. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don't know. Most loads listed for a .300 mag with a 180 gr. bullet are in the 2900-3000 fps. range. My Winchester Super-X ammo 180 gr. had a 3200 fps listed on the box, but only went 2900 through the chrony. I think sometimes they exagerate a little, lol. If you can safely achieve that velocity with a 30-06, be very happy. I am a newb to reloading, but the reason that I suggested IMR 4350 is because of it's versatility. It is used in everything from .243 to .460 Weatherby with very consistant results. I don't know what's best. That's just what I started with, and am satisfied with. Why do you want to switch from 3031? The manuals that I have still include it.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  9. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Sorry, I was wrong. My loads, IMR 3031, are putting out 2550 FPS and 2600 Ft. Lbs.
    The IMR 4350 says 2750 FPS and 3025 Ft. Lbs., so it's a little hotter load. I guess I'll try that load and see how my gun likes it.

10. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Like Matt said,,,,4350 is good stuff. I use it for my .243 win. and my .308 win.. I never shoot hot loads. I do shoot accurate loads though!

11. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Well I just got back from the only place in town with reloading supplies and I'm bummed. They didn't have any IMR 4350, they didn't have any IMR 3031, the didn't have any 30-30 bullets (flat nose or round nose) and only one box of .308 for the 30-06 but they were $36 for 50 bullets. They also didn't have a set of dies for .45 ACP.

The only thing that made the trip worth while was a stop at Wally World. They had 4 packages of .50 cal. Powerbelt bullets, the 16 count. They were marked down from $19 to $15. That's cheaper than I've ever seen them there. I picked up a pack but when the guy rang them up, the price was $9.45. I asked him if he had made a mistake, but he said, "No". So I went back to the rack and bought all they had!! I should be set for the next few years.

12. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Looks like I'm Christmas Shopping at Walmart tonight,,,,,,,,for me. Love them Powerbelts. Which size do you shoot Billie. I started on the 245 grain hollow points. They shoot so good,,I'm afraid to try any thing else.

13. BubbaCat

BubbaCat Well-Known Member

State:
    Arizona
    our local Walmart carries reloading supplys even powder .also dies

14. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    I've been shooting the .50 cal. 245 gr. with the green tip. These are the 195gr. hollow points.

15. TJD

TJD New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have had verry good results with H 4350. I agree about the need for a load to shoot into small groups. Some one has said, " A fast miss is just that still a miss." Besides when did a critter complain that a bullet wasn't going fast enough?