what would you recommend

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by catfish1516, Dec 28, 2006.

1. catfish1516

catfish1516 New Member

State:
    Reidsville ,North Carolina
    just bought a 30 gallon tub from walmartt, so i can keep the chubs i trap out of a creek. What would you recommend to aerorate the tub, please name the brands and the prices and what would you feed chubs.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

The Library here on the BOC has pics and the information you are looking for. There are also kits that are sold just for the set up you are talking about. Metal Marine is the one that comes to mind. Basspro.com has one kit listed for 29.99, I think in the saltwater catalouge I got so it should be listed on their website as well. Good Luck.

3. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    For creek chubs I would think you could get by cheap and easy with a airpump and a good sized 6" maybe airstone.
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1070

Check out the rest of the library theres years of catfishing smarts in there. This site is so big its hard to see and use it all.

4. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Don't forget to change the water often.
    I lost a lot of minnows this summer because the water had too much nitrogen(think fish pee) in it.You can get a aerator at wal mart made for an aquarium that will last a long long (think years )time for a little cash.
    best of luck
    just

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Andy,
    As Bob mentioned, water changes are necessary to keep your bait healthy if you intend keeping them for any length of time. Look up "Nitrogen Cycle" on Google. It will explain the simple chemistry that you need to understand.
    I prefer to to not feed my bait so they don't foul the tank. I get them just a couple of days before I need them. You can feed chubs on chopped worms or bread or even store bought fish food but be careful not to over feed. Any uneaten food will quickly foul the water...W

6. luckycat1

luckycat1 New Member

State:
    Osage River Missouri
    Powdered coffee creamer helps keep the foam down and reduce the nitrogen I'm told.