What would you invest in?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Wil, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    in school right now we are doing this thing with the stock market. its a game in which we start out with 100,000 dollars to buy stocks in different companies. im not doing too great. there are 7 teams and im in 6th place. i want to know brothers and sisters what would be good to invest in right now. all your help will be appreciated. thanks

2. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I can't help you with the game you are playing, but in real life, Invest in your EDUCATION ! That's where the real returns are.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

for quick short term money this time of year I would go for clothing manufacturers, heating oil/gas and electronics manufacturers. Higher risk could be big money are a short play term but those would include anything not in the top 250 list, medical is either big are bust most times. Good luck

4. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    You could invest in tech, which is currently down but may rebound with the holiday shopping season. If you were investing long term, I would suggest large, dividend yielding companies. I also love real estate.

5. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    There is a website (which I cant remember what it is right now) that you can do this sort of thing for free. You are doing pretty much the same thing. If you can do it start off small with 10k or something and invest in penny stocks (keep watching them). You can usually day trade it a couple of times making mucho money, you just have to keep watch cause even a penny profit youve pretty much doubled your money then you can buy twice as much when it goes down again. I wish I had the real money to do it.

6. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Invest in death as these industries are needed by all of us.

7. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I dont know exactly how it works but, some franchises like McDonald's seem to stay around regardless of the market. I could be really far off the mark though seeing as how I dont know what I'm talking about:roll_eyes: . Good luck.

8. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    We did that in high school too. It was fun! My 2 cents is with defense stocks. Check for the hi and lows. Most of the stuff we have in Iraq is worn out and we are going to have to fix it. Also keep in mind that the prez said that we are not leaving Iraq and that The Iraq army needs more equipment.
    Just a idea
    Bill

9. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Oh one more
    Hillenbrand Industries. They make hospital equipment and coffiins. They had a good rating.
    Bill

10. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    What I look for is stocks that are down right now but have plenty of upward room, are rated well and have good fundamentals, not over leveraged, etc...

I use MSN's stock screener and look for 9 or ten rated. I look at the 12 month and 36 month performance. I want one that is near the 12 month low with plenty of upside. Lastly to give it extra oomph (I am not playing with 100k) I look for stocks that sell for less than $10.00 per share, under $5.00 preferably. The reason I do this is if a stock goes from $2.50 to $3.13 or a 25% gain, if I had a $40.00 it would have to climb $10.00 per share to net the same percentage. However, if I buy the cheaper stock then I can own more shares.

I have never gone to school for this, and I am relatively certain that your teacher would cringe if they read this methodology. It is the difference between theory and real world. I have only done it for 1 year, however my return last year was over 36%.

It is a blessing that they have these tools to teach young people.

If you want to truly have financial independence, start young. While your friends are out partying chasing skirts, if you are studying stock charts, searching for that next winner, you will accomplish 2 things. First you will start to increase your portfolio much faster than normal. Find the beauty of compound interest. 2nd you will instill the characteristics of success. You will understand patience, persistence, saving, etc... You will already be in the success pattern rather than trying to find it at 30.

Good luck youngster.

Shawn

It is much easier to go broke as a young person then when you are old. This allows for more risk which because of its danger, if it performs there will be much higher returns.

11. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Black Gold, Texas T, "oil" that is.:wink: :big_smile:

I'm not good at this kind of stuff.
    Good luck on learning the Stock market.

12. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Take a chance as its not real money anyway.why dont you go with an envirment clean up thing.If there is a big clean up needed in the next few mths you cash in. If not the chicks see that your a greenie and you will have dates the rest of the year.grin:cool2: smokey

13. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Overseas stocks, especially China, Vietnam, etc. That is where the great sucking sound Perot spoke about is initiating from at the moment.

14. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Long term I would have to go with hearing aids. All these people going around with the molding on their cars vibrating will need them in the next 20 years.

15. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN

Mark,
    I already need one from working in a factory for years.

OK, and possibly some of the concerts I have attended. BUT now are you sure that the ones blaring the music aren't already deaf or partially, like me? :wink:

16. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Good deal Mark. I see adds in paper every week. its kicking off.
    Cheryl, Dont matter if you need one or not. They selling. :smile2: :tounge_out:
    I need one. I cant hear a word on this site that anyone is saying LOL:tounge_out: :lol:

17. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    Watch FoxNews, The Bulls and the Bears. It comes on Saturdays and has 4+ analyse stragazing over stocks and funds. Which ones to avoid, keep your eyes on and which ones are paying off. You may get some ideas there. I am very interested in stocks and bonds. But thats about as far as I've gotton with it...the interest. Wish I could ya more, Id in turn be helping myself.

Good Luck hun and I wish you well. I also hope that what you learn, you apply in real life and run with it. If you dont already have a savings account, open one and talk with a financial advisor. Any bank representative will be more than willing to sit down and discuss all the options that are open to you. Get one that pays an interest, it may be ever so small, but in 10-15 years, it can add up. By the time you get in college, you'll be able to draw credit on it.

ok ok..good luck:wink:

18. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Invest??? You got to be kidding I'm investing in my wife,I got $100,000 in med bills on her sence June and I have no insurance on her.19 pints of whole blood and platelets + $50.000.00 in meds + doctor bills + hospital bills,ect. and it ain't over yet by a long shot.INVEST?? Yes I'm investing in trying to keep my wife alive.

19. riverwiskers

riverwiskers New Member

State:
    kelly nc
    Not into stock market and really dont have a clue but I would guess Enviromentaly Safe products of some sort. Seems to be a happening thing these days and the need is getting greater every day.

Dale