What Would You Guys Do??

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by RiverKing, Jun 23, 2006.

1. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Now everyone here knows that im a CPR kind of guy..But alot of these pictures i have been looking at of state record fish do not look very lively. If you caught a state or potential world record, and getting it registered meant not being able to keep it alive..WHAT WOULD YOU DO....I dont think i could stand to kill a world class fish like that...What does everyone else think.

2. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    Like you said Matt,CPR! only I'd want quick acess to a large scale so you can photograph that too.

3. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    A camera and a tape measure is pretty much all I carry. If you do a good enough job taking the necessary photos, you can still qualify for a state record with just the photos.

4. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I'd take some measurments and call the DNR to see what I needed to do about getting it certified. I'd want him to go back into the water alive.

I'd probably have a mount made from the measurments so I could show it off without having to put the actual fish on the wall.

5. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

I didnt know that you could do that, i thought you actually had to take the fish in

6. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    This should be a start to a very intresting thread,:eek:oooh: :eek:oooh: !!!
    Let me say this, no one really knows exactly what they would do. There are guys like me that would like to think that they would release the fish rather than kill it just for the publicity and noteriety.
    There are ways of keeping the fish alive like a dnr biologist told me.
    1. You can tie the fish off to a limb on a twenty foot rope until they arrive to certify it.
    2. You can keep it in a live tank(make sure you have plenty of airiation and circulation) until they arrive.
    3. You can just weigh it, take a picture and return it to the water unharmed and not worry about all the hubbub.

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Well, I'll be honest, I'd make sure I got it turned in for the record, I'd try super hard to keep it alive, but I wouldn't give up the record worrying about getting the fish back in the water. I would probably tie the fish to the boat or something to try to keep it alive and then of course go to a certified scale or something. Also I carry a digital camera, 110lb Scale, and tape measure on the boat.

8. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    all i would want is proof and bragging rights. i have tied the state record in length here in wv 2 times last year. i have pics that show it and i have the bragging rights of my buddies, so its all good:big_smile:

9. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i could care less about braggin rights, show me the money!! if i would catch a state record fish (76lb in ohio) from the river i fish it would no doubt be close to death so i wouldnt care if it died or not. i would make sure by the time the warden arrived i had all the "name brand" stuff on me which i supposedly caught it on (gamma hooks,abu reels, berkley line etc.) so i'd get lifetime supplies for free:big_smile: now if it came from a body of water where i think it would continue to live and grow, then i would do my best to keep it healthy.

10. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    Hey Dink,When you land that record are ya gonna share that "name-brand stuff with the rest of us.Can't wait to hear your answer.

11. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    yep id tie it to the boat get out my trusty cell phone lol and call the local dnr or boc or who ever came to mind if it died well sorry the record means more to me not to say i wouldnt do what ever else in my power to keep it alive , who knows i could release it and some guy find it the next day belly up floatin down the river

12. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well I for one have the number to fisheries in my cell phone and with one call I will have things rolling. Are record is 53 lbs for blue and with 5 over 50 last year i was ready just fell short by oz's. I would keep the fish in the water until I could get everybody ready at one place and had a way to move it to there.I would do everything I can to get him by with CPR.

13. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    LMAO!!! You are something else John, LOL!!!

14. If any of you fellows are seriously in the hunt to set a record you need to decide right now what has to be done to certify your catch. If you fish different states the requirements may differ from state to state. Some states recognize trotlines and sethooks some do not. Have a plan. Carry with you at all times you are fishing the tools needed to support your claim. Items such as cameras, film, measuring tapes, scales (have them certified if possible). If it is your desire to keep the fish alive and return it to the water that also has to be taken into consideration. If you wish to donate to an aquarium make sure they know about it and will even accept the fish. Be prepared to transport the fish.
    Consider the controversy surrounding the big bass caught out in commiefornia. Expect this and do everything in your power to prevent this by being absolutely above board in your dealings so that your word will not be called into question. If at all possible have disinterested witnesses at all steps of the game. You might even want to avoid certain methods of fishing. For instance if you are a known trotliner and happen to catch a 130lb blue on rod and reel you can guess what will be said about you.
    Whatever the case good luck. I really admire the fellows with the dedication to chase only the biggest of the fish available. I myself just like to have something pull my line and taste good while filling my belly so I have no earthly idea what I would do if I put one in the boat that would set a record.
    More than likely just get a weight and photo and wish it luck as it swims off.

15. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

I've always joked that if I caught a record fish when the press asked me what I used for bait the answer would be; "It is a homemade bait that will be available for sale on the Internent by the end of the day".

Then it would be time to go home and create that bait :lol:

16. LarryS

LarryS New Member

State:
    Clinton,Il
    What about someone like me? The biggest fish i have caught is a 7 foot Gar. Catching a monster Catfish is something i dream about. I don't care about any other Freshwater fish. I caught a 13lbs Bass while living in Florida and it did'nt mean a thing. Now if i was to catch 1, just 1 record size catfish and keep him knowing that i may never again catch another big Cat, well would that be wrong?

17. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Keep in mind, there is no right or wrong answer to this question. It is all about the personal choices that we make in a difficult sittuation. No one really knows what they would do. It is easy to say (now), what you would do, but when the rubber meets the road it is another thing all together!!!

18. LarryS

LarryS New Member

State:
    Clinton,Il
    I really don't care about a record fish, just the fact that keeping 1 large fish will not hurt the overall population.

19. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Your wright on that one JW....

20. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I dont see anything wrong with keeping the fish alive in the water,(river,creek,lake or pond) that it came from, until The officials get there to certify the potential record. But to show off and parade a fish all over town dont go over to well with me.

Most anglers that catch a record fish probably are not prepared to catch a record before it actually happens. Some personal hand held scales can be pre-certified by the DNR if you take it in and it qualifies. Also, a cell phone (with the DNR or state conservation officer's phone number already programmed on it), camera, tape measure and a good cord to tie off the fish or large holding net/bag.