what would you guess the weight of this catfish at

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, May 26, 2009.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Below is a picture of me, with the 50-lb flathead I caught friday night...I am a big guy 6-4 275lbs, so remember that with your guess.

If you did not know the weight would you guess this fish weighed 50-lbs...less than 50-lbs, more than 50-lbs?

My fishing buddy Roger thinks his scales is off, and this fish actually weighed more, it sure as hell felt like it..But they could be weighing heavy also.

The scales he has are digital and only acurate to 50-lbs, I seen 52-lbs a couple times on his scales, but also seen 50lbs 13ounces which is what I went with.

Next time I will bring my sclaes also.

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    sorry here is the pic..If catfishjohn caught it we could call it 70lbs:wink:

Attached Files:

3. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Its kinda hard to say an exact weight at just looking at a fish but i would say 55# atleast.Congrats on your catch.

4. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    i personaly have never been that close to a freakin 40 pounder but i would have to say its pushin 60 my man did you take any measurements on the fish

5. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    just a guess ide see that fish going no less than 50 for sure! maybe 55 or 60 but surely no less than 50! congrats on that by way! nice catch!

6. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It looks every bit as big as the flat on the Ohio fishing regulations book and I think they said that was 55 or so.

7. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Rough guess.. .I'd say your definitely in the 50# ballpark.

Maybe have him check his scales agianst a gallon of milk, or a known weight to see if they are off any. that might give ya a better idea of where you might stand.

i know that if I make sure to zero my scales in they are pretty acturate to within an ounce or so. Every so often I'll just check mine agianst something, whether another scale or a known weighted object.

8. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Not gonna even tempt the guess weight but a great catch indeed

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

:smile2::smile2::smile2: I like 70lbs better than 50.:wink::roll_eyes::cool2: If I had caught it, it'd looked like a state record next to me...:eek:oooh::wink::smile2:

It looks bigger than 50 for sure. My guess would be between 55 & 60. Next time take length & girth measurements and use the formula to see what it says.
    Either way thats a GREAT catch!!! I can't wait to get up there & wet a line with ya! Maybe I can catch one even half that size.:big_smile:

10. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I'm no better at guessing than the rest here but the one in my avatar is 40.1 so I wouldn't have even guess 50#. I respect your judgment so I will go with that ; )

We all hold them out so that does make it harder to guess IMO.

11. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    Take the scale that you used and get ahold of some certified weights and check it. I keep 2 scales with me and have checked them against each other and they are within half a pound. Also keep that tape measure handy because even if the scale is off the tape dosen't lie.

12. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Alright tomorrow i'm gonna test my scales against several different weights to verify if they're right. But i really believe your flat went at least 60 after lifting it. I'll let you know tomorrow.

13. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Gotta be prepared. If you think there is a chance to land a 70# fish, better have yourself an 80# scale. :wink:

Jack,

Buddy if I were you (knowing there are some bigger ones in that exact hole) I'd really think about getting a decent scale and having it certified. I think a potential state record could be sitting down there. If you had the certified scales added to the fact that I think you know where the game warden lives... that might be enough to get your self in the record books and not have to kill the potential record breaker. :0a23:

I have a set of Rapala Trophy Grips w/ a scale that goes up to 120#. I'd be more than happy to let you use them this season. (It's way more than I'll ever use, if I even get out!) :smile2:

FYI: I find an easy way to check my scales is to attach boat anchors to them. I think my digitals were off by 3 ounces when I attached 3 15# scales together. (the anchors could have also been off a little)

14. Desode

Desode New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Knowing how Big of a guy you are I would say it was over 50pds. How much over I don't know. The best thing to probably do when you got a fish that shows 50pds on 50 pd max scale, is make sure you take full measurements of the length and girth. Then you can atleast do the math and get a better idea that way.
    A general estimate is Length X Girth X Girth / 800 = Approx Weight
    The thing is Flatheads have a unique shape to them, but still it would probably give you a better general idea of what it was, so you could know if it was oer 50pds.
    Here is a site online that even has a catfish body style that it takes into consideration math wise.
    http://www.csgnetwork.com/fishfreshwtcalc.html
    Matt AKA DESODE