What would you do?

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by Seth, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I have a 2005 Ford Ranger 2wd 2.3l that gets me very good gas mileage (27-29mpg average). It was new when I bought it and I owe right at $4300 on it right now and will have it paid off within the next year. It does pull my boat, but is pretty doggy when I do. When pulling the boat, I still manage 20/21 mpg so that's kind of nice too.

Anyways, I'm really wanting to get into a 4x4 extended cab vehicle due to needing more space for cargo/people anytime we go anywhere and I hate having to bug my friends to borrow a vehicle. I know the mileage will suck compared to what I am used to, but I have a lot more confidence pulling the boat with more power.

I'm sure that I could get a pretty good deal on my truck right now since it's the best small size truck for fuel economy. Also, my commute to work is only 20 miles round trip, 30 if I stop by the girlfriends. I haven't figured up yet really if I'd be helping myself by having two vehicles really or not. I guess the higher gas gets, the more I would benefit from having two rigs.

Would you pay the Ranger off and then get an older truck for hunting/fishing rig or trade in the Ranger and get a newer and much nicer 4x4?

Let me know and thanks,
    Seth

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I am going to go with If it ain't broke don't try to fix it!. How often do you tow the boat anyway and how far. sounds like to me you should just keep what you got.

3. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Pay it off nd keep the gas mileage. Make the friends ride in the back or in the boat:crazy:

4. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Why not trade it in for 4x4 ranger Edge model & keep the best of both worlds???just a thought!!they will give what you ask, those rangers are going for about 9,000 trade in right now in the extended cab models, so you'll have a nice down payment on a new one!!

5. just a redneck

just a redneck New Member

State:
    kansas
    i have an f-250 deisel that i love but it kills me on gas so if u have money to burn go for it but just think about were and how far u go and how much u will use the 4x4 since i got my truck i have done plenty of off roading but never had to put it in 4 wheel drive i agree stick with what u got u can get a great truck but if u cant afford to fix and maintaine it, it is just a waste of money learning the hard way

6. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well around here my F250 is in 4x4 quite a bit. Used it today moving a cattle trailer around on my sand hill.

Right now I'm looking at having two trucks or an SUV and my F250, so when I want better mileage I can use the other. I looked at Rangers, nice little trucks.

I looked at the Honda Elements and their CR-V's. Nice units,but high in price.
    I'm looking at used ones now. And the used Honda's are high too. lol

I looked at a used Lexus RX 300 AWD yesterday, boy it is nice and well made. I think I'll get it and have an 01 Lexus. lol 19+ average mpg on them. It's my favorite color,same color as my F250, Game Warden Green. lol lol

My 250 gets 14 mpg and lower, depending on what I'm doing.

I want something the wife won't gripe about having to drive or ride in. lol lol A woman Friend of hers said the Ranger would hurt her back riding in it for long periods of time.

I like the Ranger trucks. My dog Bo and me fit in those cab and a half's good.

He will fit that Lexus too. LOL

7. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I've decided to just hold out for now unless I see a really good deal.

Btw, I found a 2004 Chevy silverado LS 4x4 with the 5.3l and 90k miles for 10000. Is that a good price? It's the lowest I've found an 04 for recently. To be honest, I like like 2002 better due to the front end, but they seem to cost about the same an 04 from what I've seen on Craigslist so I may as well find something 2 years newer.

8. CATMAN1979

CATMAN1979 New Member

State:
    WARSAW MO
    Seth i have a 04 chevy 1500 4x4 ext cab 5.3 , it gets around 19mph empty and around 16 pulling my 19 ft tracker. 10000 seems pretty cheap from what ive seen. hope this helps

9. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    That's good to hear about the 19 mpg empty. I think I will have to check in to that truck a bit more if it hasn't already sold. Thanks for the feedback.

10. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    4x4 are made to be abused. So why start with a shiny new payment? Keep old reliable, by a mechanically sound 4x4 and enjoy not washing it!!!!

11. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    Trannys get weak in the newer 4x4 Chevys around 100k unless it has been babied/maintained... but the 5.3 engine is a great design.

12. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    IF you can afford it NOW is the time to buy a brand new truck .You can save 10000 to 14000 at todays price that savings will buy a lot of gas .your trade in get good mileage It,s worth money or If you can afford to keep for when you don't want to burn gas go for it. REMEMBER can I afford it
    bewell CRMULE

13. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Due to the economy people are getting rid of suvs and moving there families to smaller cars. A nice deal for those of us that have to have a pulling vehicle. I see suburabans. explorers....etc everywhere for sale and they are alot cheaper than a truck.
    I bought a 4wd suburban for $5k and bought my wife a rover for $4. The cost of ownership vs a new gas saver is cheaper, when including the higher insurance and taxes.

14. 54ball

54ball New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I would find an older truck for hunting and fishing out of. I have an 89 K5 Jimmy just for that purpose.
    You have a lot of vehicles to choose from, starting in the 60s to now. Think Broncos, Ford F-Series, Scouts, Blazers early, Blazers K5, and don't forget Jeeps. Early Broncos, Blazers and Landcruisers can be pricey. If you look you should be able to get a good older truck for less than $3000.

15. TruckerFisher

TruckerFisher New Member

State:
    Texas
    Get yourself A Dodge Diesel, Better to be Cummin' Than Strokin'!!