What would you do?......

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Salmonid, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Per the earlier Salmonid Vs Pendogg Post, me and Nate are headed out to the local river and wondered under these conditions, how you would fish for the channels.

Medium to large river, 2500 CFS. Rock bottomed with some mud bottomed pools. Deep water here is anything over 15 ft.
    Water temps are around 44 degrees, the water has been slowly falling for the last 4 days from a 1 ft rise, weather here has been stable the last 4 days with highs around 50, lows around mid 30's,

Now here is the twist, Rain is coming in today, none here or on the radar yet as of 10:30 this morning but later is calling for 100 % showers, nothing hard, just showers and then over night, this will get pushed out with a cold front dropping the highs 20 degrees by Saturday.

Barometer now is at 29.78 and falling ( this is for Dink);)
    Overcast conditions and the plan is to fish from 4-7 pm, so we will be starting at the warmest part of the day.
    We have a plan but wondered what types of places you would look for and why....
    Any bait prefference and why....

Time to put down your real work and put on your fishing cap!
    Thanks for any input !

Mark and Nate (Salmonid and Pendog)

2. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    I would try the mouth of feeder creeks. The cats will be looking for food that is washed into the river from the creeks. Cut baits might do the trick or maybe night crawlers (or worms dug locally).

3. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    If its raining id go with colomans advice and find them feeder creeks.If not since its cold id find some structure and fish deep.

4. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'd grab the tackle bag, do some reorganizing. Rearrage your sinkers, hooks, swivels. Respool you line, etc.... In other words, dont go! :p Just kidding, remember it's still winter. Winter fishing isnt the greatest around here. Flahunter & I are going through this winter bad. We got to talking about it & decided the reason is the weather. It's been so nice, so far. It it was 20 degrees outside & we ahd 7 inches of snow, like we should have, then this long winter would be a relaxing time for us cat guys.

5. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Your right Mellon, thats what we should have done but I never do that in the winter, I would rather go out and take a beating before I stayed home deliberately. You didnt miss much, thats was for sure, but it really wasnt too bad out, rain stopped and I got to practice my knot skills, over and over.....

Tonight may be worth the feeder creek try?? since river is up as well as all the tribs.

Salmonid