What would you do?

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by rivercatsc, Aug 2, 2007.

1. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I have always wanted to go with a guide at santee to just see how they do things compared to the way I do things. I have been fishing santee pretty reguarly this year and have only come up empty handed once but hay that is fishing. So I went with a guide last night and I knew something was wrong when we couldnt even catch any perch all bream but that was okay cause we were going out in the stumps in lake marion for huge flatheads. Dark came and we settled into the first hole and fished there for about 1.5hours with out a bite so he decided to move on and by midnight he finnally decided on another hole which again no bites. Back to riding and looking again adn tried 2 more holes before calling it a night at 3:30am. Total of NO BITES from catfish and 5 or 6 gar bites. I was very unhappy with his lack of effort to put us on at least a small blue. I HIRED a guide so I could catch the bait and pull in the anchors and all for 1 low price of $300.00. When we got back to the dock I thanked him for the trip and all he had to say was THATS FISHING. Im no guide and I know there is no garantee that you are going to catch fish but I think I got smoked. He never sayed sorry, I will knock some money off, next trip will be half price, just THATS FISHIN. I think I hired him to do a job that he did not do and I dont know what to do. I might as well have pulled up there handed him $300 and went home to sleep in my bed. I know you cant catch fish everytime but I know in my boat when the fish arent biting I try different things and keep moving until I find something that does work. I was thinking of calling him tommorow when I have calmed down and see if he will make it right. What do you think?

2. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Yeah I think I'd call him on that deal.

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Just tell him that you are gonna release his name on the www with the story that you just told and I bet he will come around to your way of thinking, LOL!!! Any guide worth his salt will make it right, after all guides are there to put you on fish. I'll be d*&#$d if I will pay someone to take me fishing and I do all the work......No Way!!!!

4. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    We went out with a striper guide once on hartwell and there was alot of fished marked and alot of short strikes but no real tyakers and this guy worked his tail off trying to put us on fish that would bite. He told us after the trip which was almost 10 hrs that he was sorry and all he could figure was that it was because of the high boat traffic made since because there was a tourny that weekend. we even had two boats ask us to leave one cove we were in because we were using live bait and it might cost them a fish. He offered to take us out again on him but it would have to be sev. weeks later cause he was going to be tied up. so we out out dec 23 and fished and caught 19 stripers with smallest about 8 lbs and alot of large mouth between 2 people. but again he worked hard for those fish as we didnt get our first bite till bout 5 hrs into the trip, he was paid for the second trip though because I knew it wasnt all his fault the first trip and he was willing to try to make it right. on another trip on clark hill that guide gave us half his fee back because all we could catch was small fish nothing big. so yes I would call and discuss it with him because word of mouth can go a long way when you are in that type of business with alot of competition.

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    That's a tough deal, James. Doesn't sound at all like the guy I know and this is the first negative experience I've heard of with him. I know there's no guarantee, even guides get stumped sometimes, but seems like he would at least offer to make a deal on another trip.
    I hate fishing around the full moon, anyway, but that isn't the first report I've heard of not finding white perch. Wonder what's up with that?
    Hope you get things resolved to suit you.

6. catch & release

catch & release New Member

State:
    SC
    Rivercat, sorry to hear you had a bad trip. Guiding is like every other business. You've got some good ones and you've got some, well, not so good ones. I know alot of guides, and for the most part they don't catch any more (sometimes less) than the average fisherman that goes a good amount. Catfishing ain't rocket science, and I think the guides on this lake are just like all of the other fishermen.....they have great days, good days, fair days and bad days. Don't get me wrong, so are pretty good fishermen, but I know a few guides that know less about finding catfish than my wife.

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Rivercat, tough deal. Here are my thoughts.

I have owned three different business in my lifetime and each of the top folks in my markets had folks who loved them and folks who hated them. No matter how good they were at what they did someone did not like them. While most folks try to make every experience good it is just not possible to do so no matter how hard you try. Some people understand that, some folks don't.

Being a guide can be fun as heck when the fish are biting and you can come out looking like a hero. When they are not biting you can end up looking like a fool. One trip is not a good reflection of how good or bad a guide is. As fishermen we all know that sometimes things just don't work out as planned, and a lot of factors come into play when it comes to catching fish.

I fish with a guide about once a year on Clarks Hill for stripers and we have seen record catches and we have motored around that lake for hours hoping to just catch fish. Sometimes its the weather, sometimes it the time of day, sometimes we blame it on the moon. Overall though the law of averages has told us that we catch more fish when fishing with him than we would if we stumbled around the lake on our own. 80% of the trips result in great catches.

There are days when guides will not produce fish. Sometimes it is through their own lack of effort, but sometimes you are fishing at a time when the fish are not biting. It part of the gamble you take. I think people misunderstand "GUIDE" for "GOD" and think that they can magically make fish appear when no one else can. In my experience the best guides are about as good as the good fishermen I know. They do not hold some magical qualities or secrets, just s certificate from the Coast Guard.

Whether or not he gave it 100% is a tough call for any of to make that were not there. On the surface you got what you paid for; a trip out fishing. Could he have worked harder? Perhaps, and I know guides that have been tipped well even when they did not produce fish because of their extra effort. I think the fact that you did not tip him was probably a good indicator of your lack of pleasure in the experience.

My bet is that if this guide is a reputable guide on the lake, and you have had good references from other folks about him, then 8 out of 10 trips will probably be good ones. While I am not saying you should book him nine more times, I would bet that if you went out with him again your luck may be different. Sadly for the guides they usually only have one chance to make a good impression and that is in the hands of the fishing God's.

8. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    When you told me the guide I didn't say anything and wont now.If you booked him to fish for flatheads then it isnt reasonable to expect him to switch to blues mid trip,UNLESS you said something to him or asked him to switch.Flats are pretty specific as you know and you cant reasonably expect him to anticipate your desires unless you tell him.Obviously we all know, before we go, the risk of not catching anything.Tommy and I recently fished with a guide that targeted both blues and flats for us but we only caught a few small blues.The man worked like a demon trying to get us on fish but couldn't.Wasnt his fault, but he did offer to give me my money back which I refused.He may have known I would refuse but still he gave me the right of refusal.He felt his "Honor" and reputation as guide was diminished by not catching fish.I also fished a couple of years ago with one of the most famous guides down there and we didn't catch a single fish.He also worked himself to a frenzy,changed techniques bait etc ,to no avail.He offered immediately to give my money back or take me again in the future for free.Again I refused.I had fun,learned alot and this was a man that just gave me three UL rigs to fish for bait prior to a tournament because I had forgotton mine.In my opinion any guide worth his name would have offered to make a refund,or more likely scheduled you a free trip,your choice.That he didnt, says all that needs to be said about return business with this guide.As far as pulling anchors and catching bait ,most of the guides will ask you to help catch bait.Most will not expect you to pull anchors UNLESS you do as I do and make the offer.Just from a liability standpoint most would not ask you.Since catching bait is fun and teaches the Santee newbie how to,and where to look, I dont have a problem with it.A case can be made for the guide being prepared when he meets you which includes having the bait aboard.When I was down there in early July I couldnt catch any white perch either in the places where I had previously caught them up shallow.When I went to my deeper spots they were there.I would highly recommend Sept and Oct as the time to do a flathead specific guide trip.Let me know and maybe 2-3 of us can go together.That way your monetary loss will be smaller if we are fishless!!!:smile2::big_smile::crazy::wink:

9. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Jim and James, let me know if you plan an outing like that and I might throw my dollars in the pot!

The we can all complain or sing the praises when we get back!! :wink:

"Getting skunked with a client"....reason #17 I don't want to be a guide!!

10. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    jim james dieter let tommy ron ken know we can see whos the best stooges are if we dont get a big one we whould have great entertainment yuck yuck.:wink::confused2::angry::eek:oooh:

11. CMJ

CMJ Guest

Well, I've been out with a couple of guides at santee, both times we booked them for two days and both times the first day was slow and the second real good....:wink: The first guide we went out with a few years ago was real mouthy and treated us like we worked for him, pulling anchors, drift socks and such. Come to find out he didn't mean nothing by the mouthy part it was just his way but it got old after a while. The second was a real good guy and shared imformation, but I though he could have worked a little harder the first day. You have to remember it's a job to them, they probably get burned out on it sometimes, but if that's the case and they know they didn't put forth the effort, they should give you at the least most of your money back, or offer a free trip at a later date. The bottom line is , after you learn the lakes a little, you're better off doing your on thing, if you have a boat and the equipment to do it.....:wink: I've took my 16 ft lowe down a few times and fished Marion for blues and had better catches than a lot of the guide boats. The only down side to that is, if I were to go out on moultrie I would be taking a huge chance if a storm or high winds came up....:eek:oooh:

12. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    If I had been the guide I would have charged you only for the gas and bait if it was bought bait.

13. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i have fished with two guides at santee. the first i really enjoyed that trip. in fact i hooked one of the biggest fish i have ever hook with him that night. i had so much fun we called him back and wanted to go again. well he told us he wasnt guiding anymore and set us up with another fellow that is a guide to this day. we set up a trip with him. long story short we had already caught 16 blues that day ourselfs. we caught two fish with him that night after we told him where we fished at that day in the canal. now i wasnt happy with him at all because i can fish the canal myself easy. there was three of us fishing with him and two of us caught fish....lol. well when the boat hit the bank i paid my part and the one that didnt get a fish said "well i didnt get no fish i guess i dont have to pay" i looked at him and said well thats between you and that 6'6" fellow standing right there....lol. he paid up! i have to say i did learn things from both but the first one was a blast. james the part that bothers me about your case is the fact that if he was a good flathead guide you wouldnt of had to ride around at all. he should of knew where he was going at all times for flatheads. blues can be a differnet case since they move around alot. i will say the flathead bite was off last weekend though and i have no dout in my mind we was on them. i only seen 4 weighed in at blacks in the tournament. i heard the winners say they culled a 37lb flat and there was another fish in the high 30s weighed in and we had a 21lber and the other two where 8-12 lbs. on a side note i was standing around at blacks last friday night in the storm and the guides was waiting to go out and i heard one say if they went out and it stormed again the trip would be finished with no refund. im not going for that one myself. i paid for 8 hours i want 8 hours or we ant going.

14. CMJ

CMJ Guest

I know some more guys that had a trip set up with a guide, well the fog was so heavy they couldn't get on the water until 10:00 am on a 6:00am to 2:00pm trip. They caught very few fish, still quit at 2:00 pm and was still charged full price..:eek:oooh: Don't get me wrong, I'm definetly not bashing all guides,there are some good ones out there, just research one before you go out with them, it won't take long before before you know who to book.

15. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I was more upset about the lack of preperation on having holes to fish more than anything. We rode around looking at the graph for most of the night. Dont get me wrong I dont mind catching bait or pulling anchors I have to do that in my boat anyway. I throughly asked around different people I knew had been out with him and everyone except 1 had reported good catches. I am not saying I would have even excepted my money back but the gesture sure would have been nice. We did switch up and go to all cut bait and catch some blues but only for about 30min in 1 spot. I catch flatheads alot and mainly target flatheads but I dont go all out live bait I mix it up until I figure on what they want at that time. I might give him a call but then I might not I will have to think about some more but I do thank everyone for there input.

16. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Unless you just want to catch flatheads,I would recommend a guide for the lower lake.You may not catch the #'s as on Marion,but the fish you catch will be alot larger.---As far as your experience w/ the guide,I don't blame you for being upset.I've had 2 experiences w/ a guide that meant alot to me;1st thing is he rode slap across the lake twice to try to put us on fish,then after only catching tatorchips(channels),he gave us cat fillets out his own freezer.He's had my business every since.PM me for the lower lake guide info!