What would you do?

Discussion in 'Boat Safety' started by BIG GEORGE, Jan 3, 2007.

1. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Your boat is takein on water at a pretty good clip. You would?

Your 10 gallon fuel tank has ruptured in the boat. You would?

Your 16 year old nephew fell off the front of the boat while pullin in the anchor and fell in the fast movein river. You would?

You are anchored up in your 14 foot jon and ya see a good size tug wake headin your way and its gonna hit broadside. You would?

The fire is rite were ya have the extinguisher. You would?

You discover that your bow lites aren't workin its dark and ya got 10 miles to get back to the ramp. You would?

My point is that ya never know whats gonna happen out there on the river. Swift movein rivers will kill ya in a heartbeat. Just be aware and ready to deal with what may come your way.

2. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.

Not tryin' to make light of your point. Just givin' some answers.:smile2:
    My best advice to anyone is to wear ya dang life jacket like I do. I can swim like a fish under normal circumstances, but ya never know when somethin's gona go bad wrong. If you spend enough time on the water, your gona have them OH S---!!!! moments. Just be ready!!

Good post George!!

3. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Your boat is takein on water at a pretty good clip. You would? Turn off the garden hose

Your 10 gallon fuel tank has ruptured in the boat. You would? not light a match

Your 16 year old nephew fell off the front of the boat while pullin in the anchor and fell in the fast movein river. You would? Ask for instant replay

You are anchored up in your 14 foot jon and ya see a good size tug wake headin your way and its gonna hit broadside. You would? Hand my beer to a buddy and say, watch this

The fire is rite were ya have the extinguisher. You would? have another extinguisher next time

You discover that your bow lites aren't workin its dark and ya got 10 miles to get back to the ramp. You would? Call Santa and borrow Rudolph

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Three of those would have me putting my head between my knees and kissing my @$$ goodbye, lol

5. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Tony, did you study for this test? You must have stayed up all night to collect those answers.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I would be forced to start bank fishing.

George, its a good topic. In most cases your snap decision you put into action is the one you will have to live with.
    If your boat is taking on water our instinct is to haul buggy to the shore.
    Depending on where the boat is holed and how bad hauling buggy may be the worst action.

Keeping the safety equipment up to date is the first thing to do.
    One thing often overlooked is the bilge pump. "my boat has a bilge pump" is not enough. The majority of the bilge pumps on boats are nothing more then rain water pumps. They dont have anywhere close to the capacity of handling even a quarter sized hole.
    Keep in mind, I havent found a bilge pump yet that pumps what its rated at.
    Several factors decrease pumping capacity.
    Any 18 foot boat I own will have no less then 2 -1500 GPH pumps on board.
    That should sustain me long enough to get to shallow water or the nearest bank in most any taking on water scenario.

7. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio

i take enough test in school i don't want to take one here.:lol:

8. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    Your boat is takein on water at a pretty good clip. You would? I would cut the bilge on and start bailing water with bait bucket and head for the bank.

Your 10 gallon fuel tank has ruptured in the boat. You would? For gods sakes dont try to start engine and dont run trolley motor, try to drift or paddle to bank and get out of the boat and then worry about gettin gas out safely!

Your 16 year old nephew fell off the front of the boat while pullin in the anchor and fell in the fast movein river. You would? If hes with me he has his life jacket on! I would drop anchor from boat and retrieve him

You are anchored up in your 14 foot jon and ya see a good size tug wake headin your way and its gonna hit broadside. You would? Try to get loose from anchor and try to get boat in correct position and if i didnt succeed i would get ready for being swamped or capsized!

The fire is rite were ya have the extinguisher. You would? I would jump out of the boat I would rather take my chances in the river than being burned!

You discover that your bow lites aren't workin its dark and ya got 10 miles to get back to the ramp. You would? I always have a spot light with me.

Thanks George! Good post! I always fish with my wife and kids and always are thinking of their safety and we fish the mighty Mississippi and we have been in some bad situations before, I thank God that we got out the situations safe!

9. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    George I ain't fishing with you. Your luck is worse than mine. Two of us together wouldn't make it back alive....
    :wink:

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    George that is a good post. It makes one stop and thank. I hope those that reads this does not take it lightly. We can't always be prepared for everything but we can sure try. Thanks

11. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    All of those things have happened to me or I have seen it happen to others in 50 years on the water.I suspect the same of George.The time to think is ahead of time.When you buy and rig your boat.You only have time to react when it happens.I say when,because it will if you boat long enough.If you are well prepared,most,if not all will simply be a inconvenience that will cost you a little fishing time.If not,most will be deadly.Many smaller cheap open fishing boats with a small motor and not overloaded will handle the wake of that barge or a Santee Cooper storm.Many large,expensive fishing boats with a huge motor on the back will not.The weight of the motor is often the anchor that causes it to flip or swamp at the slow speeds required in rough weather.Knowing what not to do is often the most important thing.Nearly all of the Boating losses,injuries and deaths are caused by people doing or not doing what they should.If a wave swamps you,you have no business being where you are in what you are in.I know.I have done my share of stupid things that I had no right to be doing.Many people are injured and die every year trying to rescue stupid people or recovering their bodies.What do you say to someone's family who was killed because you did not think?I can tell you one thing.Sorry sure didn't cut it and all that I ever personally knew were cursed in private by the people that lost a loved one.This is a great topic that we all should think about constantly year round about everything in our life.It will not only save innocent lives but loved ones lives.I love you brothers and sisters.peewee-williams

12. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    I appreciated George's post and answered the questions seriously! I answered them as if in real life spur of the moment situations. I hope somebody didnt misunderstand my reply.

13. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Very good post George.

14. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    my boat takes on water pretty good any way :lol: got a few rivets loose . but if it was real bad id head to the bank even beach it . lift it out of the water with help from a tree or log or two and patch the hole best i could with duck tape which i cary in the boat

if my tank ruptured id try to salvage as much gas as i could in a bucket and water down what spilt in the boat and patch my tank up with my vynal rain coat and the roll of duck tape i keep in my boat for emerginces like that

if some one falls over board im throwing every thing i got at them iv got to throw floats and a bumper cushon five life jackets and two hundred feet of rope . the main thing is not to panic . my jumping in wont help none . i cant swim .

i fish the ohio river theres more barges there than just about any where and you will get waked count on it . the best advice is feed out plenty of rope and ride out them wakes , stay in the center of the boat , you can also grab your oar and swing the back of the boat around to nose into the wake . dont panic .

theres only one thing in my boat that will burn and thats the gas , my fire extiguisher is 5 feet away from the tank on the side of the boat opposite of where i keep my rods nothing in its way i also have 2 5 gallon buckets in the boat at all times and a gallon bucket . dont panic

if the bow lights fail which they have i take my screw driver from the tool box i keep in the bow remove the light if the the bulb is shot i change it with the spare if by some chance i forgot to replace it :lol: i have taken my flash light and duck taped it to the light houseing for a short term dim light as opposed to running blind

thanks big george and i hope im not faced with any of these but if i am i think im prepared and have been on some of them . good luck and be safe .

15. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I'd like to see some more folks chime in on this one with thier thoughts, solutions and additions on potential situations. THANX!

16. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    If your boat taking on water at a high rate you might actually want to consider pulling the drain plug out if there's not too much water already in the boat and you can move your boat at a decent speed. I know this sounds crazy but your drain plug is located at the back and lowest part of your boat. The speed of the boat will push the water to the back of the boat and out the drain plug. This of course won't work if you can't get your boat moving fast enough because it's already taken on too much water. Boats in general do have enough floatation to keep it from sinking completely and staying with on or the boat until help arrives might be the best bet. There's lot's of different senerios, water temps, lake or river, current which makes leaving your boat, staying with it or trying to make it to shore.

17. redfishman

redfishman New Member

State:
    South Louisiana
    You are anchored up in your 14 foot jon and ya see a good size tug wake headin your way and its gonna hit broadside. You would?

Pretty common occurence: Barges are particularly bad. If you are in a narrow canal or cut- the oncoming boat(ship etc) Will first displace the water infront of it.You get a huge swell that will push you you onto the bank. when you are on the bank throw out an danforth anchor or use a pole pushed into the mud and tie off to it. As the barge passes an equal draw down will attempt to suck you back into he canal-often to the props-
    Hang on!!!! After the barge has passed untie- you may get muddy pushing the boat back into the water.The barge captain is looking out for you and may cut back on the engines if you are in trouble. If a horn is sounded before he passes you
    try and get out of the way fast--It takes a long time to slow down. They will not stop - They are trying to safeguard their cargo

18. riverratmatt

riverratmatt New Member

State:
    ky, totz
    Your boat is takein on water at a pretty good clip. You would? get it to the bank and start bailing

Your 10 gallon fuel tank has ruptured in the boat. You would? paddle to the bank and toss in some sand to asobe the gas

Your 16 year old nephew fell off the front of the boat while pullin in the anchor and fell in the fast movein river. You would?wonder how my sister has a kid older than her

You are anchored up in your 14 foot jon and ya see a good size tug wake headin your way and its gonna hit broadside. You would? cut the rope and move the boat in to a good position

The fire is rite were ya have the extinguisher. You would? rake it to me with a paddle

You discover that your bow lites aren't workin its dark and ya got 10 miles to get back to the ramp. You would? pull out my mag light and put in the red/green lens

19. Clovis

Clovis New Member

State:
    Paris Tennessee
    Precisly why I have an empty milk jug tied to the other end of my anchor rope.

Alot quicker to through out the rest of the rope and retrieve the anchor later.

And you don't lose it this way.

20. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Folks this isn't a quiz, it's a wake up call from George! Pay attention and be careful out there!