What would you do?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Cattoo, May 6, 2006.

1. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i was sitting on the river bank the other evening and an interesting thought occured to me. i didnt have any bait when i started my fishing trip so i called my cattin buddy, kybluecat49, and asked him if he would leave me some skips in a cooler by his house. i knew he had caught some that day cause he told me. he lives right on the ohio river just a few miles from my favorite cat spot. we always help each other out like this. anyway he had about 20 or so in the cooler so i grabbed about six or so and went to the river. now i am the kind of guy who likes to put a big chunk of bait on the hook and i like to use fresh bait quite often, well the cats were biting good and i was having trouble catching skips cause i kept catching baby stripes and white bass instead. i was using three 1 and 1/2 inch curly tail grubs and i was catching a white or stripe on every hook on about every cast! the bait was getting low and i found myself thinking of making a decision," do i conserve bait use smaller pieces and catch more fish or do i keep chunking it on in hopes of landing the bad boy?" what would you do? i kept chunking it.

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i would have started chunking up those white bass! when those things are runnin in the spring and fall flatheads go nuts over them, even as cut bait. now for blue cats i dont know, but flats love 'em! give 'em a try sometime for blues. i would but we dont have any around here:sad2: below is a pic of my freind with a white bass on a double hook rig. that one got a 17lb flat if i remember correctly.

Attached Files:

3. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    unfortunatley, its illegal to use gamefishc as bait in the state of kentucky or i would have! i think that is one of the dumbest laws there is. if i catch the fish i should be able to do whatever i want with it. go figure.

4. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have to agree with you thats a law that needs changin right there.If its a legal size fish you should be able to do with it what you want to_Or what if you gill hook a fish and it dies or you know it going to and its not the legal size what are you suppose to do with it?Legal or not im using that puppy cause im not going to just waste it by throwing back in dead or almost dead.But yeah they need to go back and take a look at some of these laws.

5. trfoster

trfoster New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Aint that the truth, I have to say its very true,I have found that the flats & channels will hit a white bass head a lot quicker than brim or shad.I have done several experimental cast,one on brim & one on white bass and it never fails,they will hit the bass first every time.I cant lie i do use them from time to time,especially when thats all that are hitting my worms on bottom.after awhile i get fed up & off comes a few heads and then i dont have to worry about them bitting anymore & set back and wait for the whompus!:big_smile:

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I agree Id use what I had the game w. are scarse around here and seem to be more worried about licens than bait :crazy: game fish are leagle herre within limits:lol: sorry but what they dont know wont hurt :lol:

7. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I agree, Keith. I fish Indiana waters quite often and their law states that it is legal to use any fish including gamefish if it was legally obtained. With the way the Ky law reads you cant use the carcass of a gamefish. Which I think is really stupid, because once the filets are off it what else is it good for except the buzzards and raccoons. I understand why the law is there, but carcasses and legally obtained gamefish should be yours to do whatever you want with them. Vern

8. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    if a smaller fish is plentiful in your cat spot use them as bait because im sure they are getting eatin up by the hogs anyway so give them what they know

9. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    if you catch it legally then i think you should legally be allowed to used whatever you want fer bait......but i would've kept doin what you did.....i love fishin big cats with big baits

10. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I use game fish alot here in Pennsylvania my favorite being trout if the fish are caught by legal means its legal.

11. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I would have to agree with Dinkbuster, they do make some fine bait. But if KY's laws don't permit it, then I probably wouldn't try it. I don't get how in some states a fish like the white bass is considered a game fish and fish like the flathead are still considered a rough fish. Screwy ain't it?

12. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Swing for the fence...

13. lord_zainan

lord_zainan New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Here in Illinois, you can use game fish IF it is caught using a rod and reel. We are only allowed two poles here. If I wanted I guess I could rig one for gil or stripers, but I use both poles are for cats, because I would give one of my kidneys to have a 40 pounder on both lines at once, trying to decide what I would do.

I answer of the original question, I would keep chunking. Sure, they may be smaller fish, but it's possible to catch a monster too on cut-bait.

14. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I would invest in a cast net and try to catch those skipjacks or shad is just as good, you can then always throw the game fish back if you net a few.

15. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    :big_smile: Change jigs on my skippie pole!

16. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Its also illegal, here in Alabama to use game fish as bait.