What would you do...?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by bugg, Dec 1, 2009.

1. bugg

bugg Active Member

State:
    Georgia

Here's the situation. You have been fishing for a monster catfish for two years. You have joined every Internet catfish forums you could find and have religiously read everything there is to read on flathead catfishing. You've bought a new boat and motor designed for catfishing and spent a fortune on electronics, fishing gadgets, cat fishing equipment, heavy-duty fishing rods & reels and cat fishing tackle. You've built a 50 gallon fish tank to keep live bait ready to use any time you can fish. You have spent countless hours on the river searching for that perfect place to catch monster flathead catfish. You've even hired a guide to take you fishing for big Flathead catfish just to learn the professional techniques of what, when and where of Flathead cat fishing. You're finally beginning to understand where to fish and when. Things are starting to happen reference bites, runs etc. but you still haven't put a big catfish in the boat. You're beginning to get a little confidence that it could happen any time...

A neighbor ask you to take him fishing and your delighted to take him along for company. You go to your favorite spot, in your boat, using your tackle, bait and gas. After getting the boat anchored in the exact spot, you bait four of your best rods and cast them in the most likely spots to hook a big cat. After about 30 minute one of the rods closest to your neighbor jerks violently, bends towards the water shaking the entire boat. In the blink of an eye your neighbor has the rods out of the holder, sets the hook and begins hollering "What Do I Do...!!! What Do I Do...!!! "

What would you do...??? :eek:oooh:

2. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Most likely I would take the rod out of his hand and say, bro. let me show you how to bring this baby in. :smile2:

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I'd tell em you hooked it figure it out. Then stand back and enjoy the entertainment. LOL!

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Tell him this is his Lucky Day. That you will show him how its done on the first few fish caught. He needs to watch and learn. The lesson is free as well.:wink:

5. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    so what did you do?

6. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    piano wire and over board NICE FISH BROTHA!!

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Spray him with mace.

Anyone wanna go fishin ?,,,,LOL

-Jim-

8. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    mmm mace

9. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    I would just set back and enjoy watching. Heck, I enjoy the other guy catching a fish as much and sometimes more than if I had caught it myself. I am one of those guys who can have a great time even if I don't catch anything.

10. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    im the same way i hoot and holler just as much even if its not me catchn em.:wink:

11. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    I would tell him, You better catch it or your swimming back to the truck. I'm happy to see any fish caught when I go fishing.

12. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I would jus try to coach him in hopes his line doesnt break off, and like the last two, jus sit back and watch them have P.B. moment.

13. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Like others said coach him on landing it an me proud that your knowledge let him catch your fish ,also be glad that someone on your boat caught a fish :wink::smile2:

14. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Talk him through it, pat him on the back & congratulate him, then tell him it's a long swim back to the dock...:smile2:

15. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

Well my first question would be, does anyone other than you know your buddy went with you? Since he has the rod in hand, I would help him land the fish, get it on board, then dump said "Buddy" over board with an anchor tied around his leg, and claim I caught the fish....:smile2:

16. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Dang it Gary ,if you would do that to a buddy for catching a fish ,what are you going t o do to a boy that disrespects your daughter? No on second thought you might not want to post that on a open forum :wink:

17. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    i would talk him through it and be very happy for him. and a little jealous! but it makes for an interesting thread. CPR and next time he will be bigger for you to land. congrats on the boat and accessories.

18. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i'd coach him on gettin the fish in and then act like it was no big deal as if i caught them that size all the time:smile2:

19. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    If it's that big a deal to you, next time tell him which rods are his to handle and which are yours, and stick to that. If he gets a bite on his rods, his fish, if you do, yours. I "loan" my equipment to friends to use any time I fish with them and would never take a rod out of a guy's hands. It will happen for you if you really put all that effort into it, just let your new fishing buddy enjoy his catch that night. You certainly will have made a friend. Nothing is written in stone that the next bite won't be on the rod next to you and you will hook up. Teach him how to fight a big fish the best way you know how and be happy you didn't get skunked again.

As far as keeping it if he lands it (if it's safe to do so in your waters) I say my boat, my rules. Make sure you have a scale and a camera.

20. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Well,when my father in law ,his buddy ,and I fish,we usually have 2-4 rods each,the fastest to the rod claims the fish,Course we bank fish. But its the same principle,no hurt feelings here ,and I've had some good fish on my rods brought in by others.