What would you do?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by opposum, Oct 4, 2009.

1. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Today I decided to try to fill one of my turkey tags. I drove to one of my favorites spots. I walked along and decided to sit down and make a few calls. My second stop I called a few times and saw something brown. My first instincts was a coyote. After a closer look I noticed it was a bobcat. I then squeaked with my lips and here he come. The wind was perfect and the cat just kept coming til he was about 5 feet from me. At this point I thought he was just a little close for comfort. I turned and made a noise in an attempt to scare him. You'd thought he'd jumped out of his fur. He turned and ran about 10 yards. I immediately squeaked with my lips again. He just sat there trying to figure out what I was and what just happened. I never saw or heard a turkey but I can't imagine having anymore fun than what I had. What an encounter.

2. catin38

catin38 New Member

State:
    alabama
    two things would have happened..i would be cleaning my pants or he would be a wall mount:crazy:

3. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    My wife would kill me if I took another cat to the taxidermist. Unfortunately fur season doesn't open til the middle of November :sad2:eek:r I would have a big decision to make.

4. Rollinunknown

Rollinunknown New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    i would $hit my pants and scream like a little girl... :crazy:

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    David five foot is a little to close for comfort. Glad you were able to scare it away.

6. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    If i had enough bobcats that i couldnt get another mounted, i would get it mounted anyway with a UK basketball and put it on ebay...you could make a little extra dough on it.

7. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    David, last year I was deer hunting and saw a nice bobcat. Since I was not having any luck that morning with deer it had my full attention. It was straight down an old logging road from my stand and easing along coming my way. As I watched it I noticed something coming up behind it. In a minute I could see it had a baby and was taking it for a stroll. I watched them play for I guess about 20 minutes. They were right out in front of my stand. It was great. I have seen several since that morning. I always enjoying watching them.

8. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Awesome story man! Im still looking for a nice buck, hopefully that will happen soon with the colder weather. Chris

9. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    That's funny right there.

10. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Cats are the coolest animals to watch. I once saw one chase a full grown Gobbler. Gobbler flew off unharmed.

11. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    If season was open, i just killed another turkey killin bobcat.

12. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm with you there. I plan on making a return trip once season rolls in. Rifle in hand.:wink:

13. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    :big_smile: cool story david !!!!!

:roll_eyes::roll_eyes: do you really want me to answer on what I would of done tho ?????

season ????? its @#$ ways season :roll_eyes::cool2::smile2::smile2:

thanks for sharing :wink: the encounter

I hope yua see the )(&^&^$### and blast him !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

psssssst turkeys make good bait for cats dont forget that hint hint

14. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I hate to be an a____hole but I would have shot it at 20 feet or more and had a new hide . I am not saying you should have shot it , or anyone else who enjoys watching them . I am just being honest lol .

15. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    While bow hunting several years ago I had this bob cat walk out in front of me within 15 yards..she turned sideways and I was going to stick her until three little ones come running up to her! I have seen them in the wild before with young but never 3. I found myself going back to that den a couple more times watching them that year but the next year they were no where to be found. They were really neat to watch those kittens playing.

16. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    thats kinda how I felt. It was fun watching them. Any other time I would have popped it.But not with the little one.

17. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I must confess, I lied. Given the chance he's a dead cat. Guess i'll just pay the fine to save the turkey.:wink:

18. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well the cat is doing fine....however, the two gobblers I saw today are fixin to be released in grease. :wink::roll_eyes::smile2: I shot them on Corps property today. It was a quick and great hunt. One bird had two beards. Now I'm ready to concentrate on deer.

19. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    according the arkansas game and fish bobcats kill and eat bout 30 deer a year so that meens thoes 4 cats you saw will take 120 deer a year.if it was me id save the deer just cause ya cant swallow a hunk of bobcat take my word for it.i tried.

20. russ4429

russ4429 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I had a similar experience turkey hunting in Missouri back in the spring of 1997. Completely camoed up, with my back against a tree, looking downhill, wind in my face. It was a real quiet morning, until the birds started going absolutely nuts. I couldn't figure why, until I noticed some movement about 40 yards downhill from me. It started to come up a narrow trail, and I noticed it was a bobcat. As it came closer, I leveled my shotgun at it, until it got to within about 5 yards. It then stopped, realized I was there, but couldn't figure out what I was. I still hadn't made a sound yet. It's hair on his back was standing up, and I made a noise to scare him away...he took off real fast after that. Not sure I would have shot him unless he came at me. He might have weighed 40 pounds, maybe 50.