What would you do with this mount?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by derbycitycatman, Jul 26, 2006.

1. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Ok, the deer in my avatar has been finished by the taxidermist. He's said a couple people would like a replica mount done of it. Hes not going to do it unless I agree. Also this deer is said to be in the top 30 all time of KY typical bucks and has been officially scored and pronounced a Boone and Crockett buck. He's also told me that Im sitting on a pretty good chunk of change for the antlers. Im pretty tempted to sale this thing if I can get anywhere close to what hes guessing it could go for, 10-20,000. Would you guys allow replica mounts done and would you sale the mount?

2. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Take some pictures for your memory and sell the thing.
    10-20,000 is alot of money for a deer head.
    Not only that, then you will have to go get a larger one.:big_smile:

3. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    I agree with that. Maybe get you a replica too.

4. Nightprowler

Nightprowler New Member

State:
    ohio
    It would depend on how much you could make on the replica racks.I would say you would have to sign some kind of paperwork to give them permission to do that.You might make more money on the replica's.If you are serious about it talk to a lawyer before sighning anything.World class racks are big money.

5. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Wow thats alot money to pass up.

6. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    how much does the deer mean to you? if it means more to you than the money i would keep it. money isn't everything. take it from some one who don't have much. its your preferance

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

take the money and add a stipulation that the buyer has a replica made for you.

8. snakecotc

snakecotc New Member

State:
    newark, ohio
    Im with you. Honestly, I would keep it. Make as much as you can off the replicas, but I would keep the original. Some things are just priceless. Unless you are in dire need of the cash, of course.

9. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    man if it were me it would be replaced by a pic or replica only stipulation to sellin it would be yer name and info go with it you killed it yer names on the books think of all the time and money youve spent over the years that one deer could make up for that plus pay fer yer hunting fer the next or rest of yer life most people hunt a life time and dont get that chance ,heck i buy the combo lisence have for 20 years atleast have yet to see let alone kill the buck of my dreams id deffinately sell it

10. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i would DEFINATELY take lots of pictures and i wouldnt allow mounts because thats not fair to have replica "mounts" made. thats just not a fair buck yea know what i mean. but that is a good chunk of change for that head. i say SELL IT! man thats about a good months amount of pay. less that that. thats close to a small yearly savings right their. sell it brother!

11. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Thanks everybody, Im all but sure Im gonna sell it. I need to do some homework though on the whole replica deal. I wasnt even going to mount this thing at first until the co(taxidermist) talked me into it. You shoulda seen his face when I said I was going to nail it up on the barn. :lol:

12. catcam

catcam New Member

State:
    Georgia
    You can get a nice catfishing boat with your loot! I'd sell it based on what you said, you weren't even going to mount it to begin with. Just make sure you get what it's truly worth. If your man can guarantee it.

13. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    Sounds kinda fishy to me. Would you pay 20,000 bucks for the antlers? Probably not? Why pay that much, or even pay anything for an exact replica? If I were to buy a replica, I would have it made the way I wanted it for just the cost of having it made and not having to pay for duplicating another deer. If it's true, I say get a replica for yourself and take the cash, but it's still hard to believe.

14. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    you don't really need us to tell you what to do but here it is. Allow only 1 fake made and you keep that one and sell the dead animal head. Lucky for you there are stupid people alive.

I almost forgot....Congrats to you on you B&C record.

15. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Replicas are a big business, and have been for some time. I haven't done any taxidermy work in several years, but most of the larger companies supply catalogs had replicas in them for sale. I have no doubt if you connect with the right buyer you can make good money. If you do sell, get good pics made, and then get them to mount you one with the replica rack on it in the deal. If done correctly, the replica rack will match the original exactly, however, the resins that were used when I was in business made a somewhat fragile product. Drop em', and they would break. I would check up on the durability of the product that is made from your rack. That is one nice buck, good luck, Jack.

16. gatorbait

gatorbait New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I would say keep em. If I caught a 30lb largemouth, I would not sell it for 10,000...Maybe 50,000. As for allowing replicas, I would say yes, but charge a fee and split it with the taxi.

17. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    Ive heard of people paying that kind of money for a rack and even more. Reminds me of the old P.T. Barnum quote.. "theres a sucker born...."

My two cents... ask a lawyer about the legality of selling a body part from wild game. if okay, make two replicas, one for you, one for bass pro shops or similar to display publicly, and sell the real one. lots of pix and videotape with the mount in your possesion are an understood given.

awesome deer, congrats. you may even be able to milk a few freebies from the makers of the gear you used to harvest it. i.e. a box of the brand of ammo u used, a free set of the cammo you were wearing.. etc etc...

chad

18. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Ok guys, I just got it back. My estimate of the value was way off, told I might get 2-5, still not bad for a day in the woods. He said he seen one go for 20 something, just got wires crossed.:sad2:
    This is for antlers in a european mount no cape. Taxidermists said I would get at least free replica, my antlers back, and probably recognition. I still havent submitted it to B @ C but it scored 178 6/8 from 183 3/8.

19. Gabowman

Gabowman Member

State:
    Georgia
    YEa?!? Who pays those big bucks? I got a 188 and change hanging on my wall from an Ohio bow hunt. For that serious of money I'd let it go. Give me some details!

20. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Cabela's and Bass Pro purchase trophy mounts and trophy antlers.