What would you do if you caught the state record flathead

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Jun 3, 2008.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ohio's state record flathead is 76.2lbs caught in clendening lake in 1976

We all know if you catch a record fish it must be weighed on certifed scales.

But what if you had no means to keep this fish alive untill it was certified, would you let it die so you can have your name in the record book?

Or would you release it with the satisfaction of knowing you caught the record.

Personally I would take some pics and tern it loose.

What would you do?

2. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Always have a way to keep them alive,you never know when you will catch the biggun

3. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i would weep,weigh it with my scales,which might make it a few pounds more,lol
    measure it,take some pics,and then put it back.i would have more satisfaction knowing that i released something that big,to grow bigger.records are just that,pieces of paper stuck in a filing cabinet,no meaning really.who here,without looking,actually knows the name of the guy who caught that 76 pound flat?

4. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    If I could not keep it alive, it would be released. I carry a large tote with me which I have had 40+ pound fish in. They filled it up. I doubt it would even hold a record fish safely. So I would turn on the video camera and make my own news report.

5. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Honestly.... I don't know. As much as I love the sport, As die hard idealist as I am, until I face the situation in real life.... I don't know. I have a bathtub that I keep my bait in and might try to keep it alive their, but..... man, who knows.... name in the books for 40 years..... that's hard to say.

Sure... I'd let it go.... :wink:

6. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    As I stated in an earlier post .... a fish this size and age will most likely be nearing the end of it's life and it's ability to produce good quality and numbers of young will be very limited. Also in the rules for declaring a new record states: *Fish must be kept frozen intact until certified, as OWO reserves the right to examine it.

I would probably keep it ........ Garry- :eek:oooh:

7. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Absolutely I would let it go but it would suck when the next guy caught it and I saw the fish in the newspaper hanging dead on a rope and him with the record.
    To me though there is no amount of kudos that is worth killing the fish for. As for the other guy; that's his business...W

8. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Knowing that it would die before it got certified, I would release it

9. joadb

joadb New Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    let it go.even if i didnt have a camera to prove my catch.in the long run(knowing that the species is capable of weights over 100lbs)it's more important to the future of cats to have them record genes out there spawning than my name in a book.

10. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Put us (me and the fish) in the record books! A fish that big would deserve the record also not just let go to die at the bottom of some river unknown...just my take on it, and being honest about it.

11. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Hopefully that happens when were together because I don't think me or you could do it alone.....:confused2::wink:
    I think if either one of us tried to bring it in it'd really hurt us bad. I'd probably do the same as you but I'd also take lots of measurements and pics of all angles and try to have a replica made. Garry had a good point though, it would probably be near the end of its life and most likely be done breeding. I hope I'd do the right thing but unless faced with it I can't say 100% sure either way.:confused2:
    It'd really pi$$ me off to hear of it floating belly up in a day or 2 from the stress or someone else catching it and them killing it.....:angry:

12. 72hdflh

72hdflh New Member

State:
    West Salem, Ohio
    I'd probably release it, heck my scale only goes up to 50 lbs., so I wouldn't even know if it was a record or not. I pretty much release any cat over 5 lbs. But like others have stated it's real hard to say for sure until you are actually faced with a hawg like that.

13. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I would find a way to keep it alive. In this scenario, most wardens/rangers would find a way to bring a scale to you. So I would keep the fish alive, get my name in the books and then (after many pics) turn the fish loose.

14. JRicker

JRicker New Member

State:
    Tenessee
    Well i have to agree that its hard to say unless you are in that situation. But I can say if i did keep it that would be plenty of meat for the family after it was weighed and alot of pics were taken

15. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    I would keep it and follow all rules to get my name in the book. If I caught it, its mine to do with as I please and if that means his days are up so be it. I let enough fish go in a year to make up this fish's weight easy. And anyone who keeps a fish no matter how big or small wouldn't have a leg to stand on criticising me for keeping it.

16. Mizzbigcat

Mizzbigcat New Member

State:
    Warren County Ohio
    Most people these days have one or more cell phones on them, I'm sure you could get ahold of someone to bring you a scale or means to keep the fish alive. I certainly would not be putting it back for someone else to catch.

17. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I'd eat it! Yum!!!!!

18. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Just kidding!:smile2:

19. Mizzbigcat

Mizzbigcat New Member

State:
    Warren County Ohio
    :smile2: LMAO! Now that got a good laugh outta me!

20. catfishbrett

catfishbrett New Member

State:
    Steubenville,Ohio
    take a couple pics,then let her go!