What would you do if you caught a world record Catfish?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by rasimmons, Feb 9, 2006.

1. rasimmons

rasimmons Guest

What would you do if you caught the world record or even a state record cat? Would you c/p/r the fish or would you call everyone you know and try to make the money from the fish and risk killing it. This is just a question I have talked about with friends and would like to know what would everyone else would do.

2. rasimmons

rasimmons Guest

I personaly don't keep anything over 20 pounds but I think I would have to keep the fish and attempt to sell it like the guy did with the record blue

3. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    CPR then head straight to a taxidermist for a repoduction head mount.

4. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    what i always do but with one new one. Catch, take picture, call gamewarden, weigh, and release in the same place i caught it

5. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Thats a tough one. I'm a big CPR fan.... but a state record???
    We recently had a guy top the state record for Largemouth up in MN. He kept the fish, got AL Linder involved and they were going to try to keep the fish alive in a tank but to everyones dissapointment it died.
    The interesting thing about it was the DNR was involved with the situation. They knew what was going on. After the fish died. There was talk about criminal action against the guy, for the following reasons.
    1. Trying to profit from catching fish. Illegal
    2. Transporting a Live fish . Also Illegal.

The DNR eventually dropped the Case but it was intersting while it was going on. I seriously question the outcome if there had not been a Huge fishing celeberty involved. (Al Linder)

6. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    The temptation would be too great. Id be calling one of them outdoor superstores and try and get a boat, 4 wheeler, guns, you name it.

7. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    if its not from my home water i'd probably do the same. might even get free trilene for life also:D

8. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    World record? I'd have to keep it. Taking pictures isn't proving its the record. After proving it is I would release it if it's still alive.

9. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    If I keep any fish, it weighs from 4lbs to 6lbs, and those would be to eat, and only two of those, one for the wife and one for me. Smaller or bigger go back no matter how big they may be. Maybe I can catch it when it's even bigger. I most generally just catch and release, I got the pic in my head, hard to share though.

10. flatcatnightmare

flatcatnightmare New Member

State:
    south east Indiana
    I would definately CPR the fish , if it has anything to do with the fish dying I dont want to be a part of that , I would be happy with just a picture.

11. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I often fish within a stone's throw of the Tennessee Aquarium (http://www.tnaqua.com). Hopefully I could hand it off to them to live out its life in "The Nickajack Tank."

12. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Thats a great question, and one that hits deep with alot of anglers and one I believe truly doesnt have a right or wrong answer. I think its up to the individual angler. I practice CPR, however in light of the possibility of having a World Record Fish on the line, I suppose my inclination would be to try and preserve the fish so that others may enjoy it. I do believe though, for those of us that fish for these giants, that you should have a well thought out plan for preserving the life of the fish should you be lucky enough to catch a monster. I can tell you from experience, that the fish should be left in the water until the warden, and the scale are on site. You cant be pulling the fish in and out of the water a half dozen times for photos and to show your friends, for it will surely die. The internal organs of these big fish are damaged easily by being held. If I had to make the choice though, I would certainly release the fish back to the wild should I think its chances arnt good for survival.

13. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    I would prabably crap myself..........:eek:

14. GrainDrain

GrainDrain New Member

State:
    Texas
    I would be trying to get it to one of the breeding pools things that stocks the public lakes and then get all the goodies. Come on a world record and you would release, a freaking world record. if I did release it, my excuss would be that my boat was sinking when i had him in it, so i had to let him go.

15. Boogan1

Boogan1 New Member

State:
    Carrollton, MO
    My fishing partners and I had a situation similar to this happen last summer. We were not prepared to handle the fish and it expired. In the fishermans defense, it took over an hour of hard fighting in MO river current to land the fish so they were both pretty exhausted. However after that incident, we devised a plan. I have an old flatbed truck that we don't use most of the time, has our portable welder mounted on it. Well, we got a 200 gallon stock tank, mounted a bilge pump, filter, and spray head aerator in it. It is kept at my dad's house which is in the country and he has a well. In the event we latch into a big one again, we leave one guy at the river with the fish tied off in the water, the others go get the truck, fill the tank with well water (no chlorine or other impurities) and get it back to the fish. We have ran this drill and it takes us about an hour to get it on site. Fishing the MO like we do, the potential is there to catch big ones. We are still kicking ourselves that we weren't ready for the one last year. We do feel a little better after talking to a fisheries biologist at the state fair last year, he said given the fish's age and length of the fight, it was probably too exhausted to survive anyway. At least we have thought it out for the next one. Boog

16. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    thats good advice boog. Thats a well thought out plan. With a little luck, maybe you will beat that 124 pounds and be able to preserve it so I can go see it at Bass Pro or Cabelas. Good Luck

17. NoCat2Big

NoCat2Big New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo
    I live in the Warsaw area, we have both Truman and Lake of the Ozarks here so there are plenty of big ones to be caught. There is also a state run fish hatchery here with an aquarium with some BIG blues already in it.

I reckon I'd get the fish there at break neck speeds to keep it alive and get it back in the water. At least the fish could be used to produce more cats for future generations.

I dunno, if I had a cell phone with me on the boat I may also just keep it in the water and call Bass Pro Shops and see how fast they could get there. A new boat and 4 wheeler would be nice. But the best chance for the cats survival would be to take it to the hatchery here.

18. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing Well-Known Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Man, What a question. I'd probably fall over dead. After reviving I guess I'd take measurements get a couple pics and cut that Big and ugly Loose. Never really thought about it. Guess I'll email the local Biologist and see what he suggests. I'll let you know what they have to say.

19. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If I dont have a heart attack I'll call some people down there, put the fish in a decoy bag, have someone I trust stay with the fish. I'll go to the headquarters of the I.D.N.R Division of Fisheries. I'll have one of the people there come with me with some kind of tank with a good airration system. As long as the fish keeps alive I have no problem them taking tests, if they put him in a tank like splash( previous World Record Blue Cat).

20. jdog

jdog New Member

State:
    mo.
    if its a record i,d open the bidding with trying to keep it alive a priority:)