What would you do if you caught a record flathead catfish?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by beaneye46, Jan 17, 2006.

1. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    what would you do if you caught a state record flathead, either take a picture and let it go and let it become a campfire story or take it in to get your name in the history books?

2. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    I would take pictures of it with a scale on it, a tape measure of the length and girth. That should be enough for bragging rights!

3. THE CATKING

THE CATKING New Member

State:
    Cattinatti
    I would take a picture of it and release it. I was down in SC a week after the young lady caught the state record out of the diversion canal between Lake Marion & Moultre. They kept it for a few days in a large tank to revive it, then released it.........A picture of the record flathead would be just fine..;) ...... THE CATKING !!!

4. OhiosCatMazter

OhiosCatMazter New Member

I would First put it on a Stringer & call the ODNR or someone I know that could Certify it. I would also take as many Pictures as I could & measure it then release it back to catch him again in a year or too.;)

Thats the way I did the 55lb. Flathead I caught out of Lake Logan, I tied it up Made a few calls & had it Certified as the Biggest Cat to ever come from the Lake. He was realeased in very good health. I cant wait until March & April, It cant come fast enough. But I cant complain about the Fishing now, its good, very good.:)

5. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Most definetly weigh, measure length, and girth, take tons of pictures and then watch the ole gal swim off. :)

6. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Well it would just seal the deal that kansas has the greatest flathead water around, Really I would call conservation and have them meet me @ the river. Then go from there.

7. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    CatKing,

How big is that Flathead in your Avatar? That fish looks huge!!

8. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Have a heart attack!!:) :) :)

9. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Catking, Is that the 150lb Ohio state record.:) LOL

10. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    either thats a giant flathead or your a little dude.
    thats an amazing fish

11. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    first of all, that never will happen... I catch the ones more like this :006:

As far as my answer, I'm with Slimcat on this on C-P-R. Look what happened with the blue cat they tried to keep alive and transport...

shawn

12. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    Depends on the chances of killing the fish to get the record. If I wasn't reasonably sure I could keep it alive, I would just take a picture and let it go.

13. Cataholic

Cataholic Guest

A MONSTER Flathead could be an awesome struggle with who's going in the water and who's gettin' wet while taking several snapshots. He'd or She'd go back directly afterwards, pass go and collect two hundred dollars. Now that'd be a wake I could smile while saying goodbye.

14. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Probably wet my pants.

15. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Take pics and release it for sure.

16. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    The State record Flathead here in Pa. is 43 lbs. 5 oz. I have a game plan in case I'm lucky enough to hook onto a record size Flathead. I have the phone number of the local waterways officer, I know where we have to go to weigh the fish on a registered scale and most importantly I have the live well design for my boat to keep the fish alive so it can be released after the formalities. Oh yeah, I alway's have the camera onboard!

17. Justin

Justin New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    My Dad actually holds the Oklahoma State Record of 72.5# on rod & reel. We've had to weigh alot of fish because he's come so close to breaking the record so many times. They say he has 4 of the 5 biggest flatheads ever caught on rod and reel in Oklahoma. We kept the fish on a stringer at the end of a boat dock and they did fine. Then we put them in 100 galloon troughs we filled with 5 gallon buckets. Did the trick! You don't have to kill them to get the record.

18. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i would go crazy and live in a boat the rest of my life

19. Justin

Justin New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Yeah my dads a really big guys so it's hard to tell how big that fish in up against him. Hes 6' 5" 250. But with her there you can get a much better idea!

20. Jed R. Plymesser

Jed R. Plymesser New Member

State:
    FREE kOUNTRY u.s.a
    Probubly..... squeell. alot?:confused: