What would you do if you caught a record catfish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by flathunter, Jan 7, 2006.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am pretty sure that if I caught a state record Flathead Catfish The fish would probably have to die, Before I found the proper cetified scales..I am a strict catch and release fishermen, so I know that I would have to just take a picture of the fish and let it swim away..If it came down to it, and you knew that the fish would die before being certified would you release it, or keep it?

2. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    First I have to change my britches ! Then I'd say, lets go find a scale....

3. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I carry a 100 lbs scale with me on my cattin trips and a cell phone so I'd be calling the DNR to meet me. I release almost every cat and all cats over 10 lbs are released so it would have to be a quick trip to the landing so it could be released. Then to the Port-o-Pottie. LOL

Oh yeah flathead cat would be the best bet for breaking a record here in SC because the world record channel is from here and the blue cat record it 109.4 lbs. Its possible to catch a channel or blue but not as likely. Our flathead record is 79.4 lbs right now.

4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Same here.....LOL.....well I would do everything possible to keep the fish alive while I called the DNR. I would diffently want to get a record fish certified. And I also mostly CPR the big cats.

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have fantasies about catching a record cat and if i caught one far away from the area i normally fish (like another part of the state) i would definately call the dnr. but on my home turf i honestly think i'd find some way to weigh it, take some pics, and turn it back loose. dont want a gazillion people invading my fishing areas. heck, my area wouldnt roduce a record anyway.

6. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    lol i had this come up (not with a world record but a large channel none the less) and i decided to take the fish to be weighed... well it was midnight so nowhere was open... i was running around for about 2 hrs trying to find a place and also load the fish from the 5 gal bucket into a huge drink bucket (the ones you fill w/ ice and toss drinks in for a party), then into a larger storage tote because he really didn't fit in the bigger bucket... Unfortunately even with aireators going and all the fish died before i could get him to the scales... :-( i do however keep a good sturdy storage tote in my garage now w/ better aerator and everything (including stress coat), just in case i catch a Huge fish somewhere near my house and can get it home to get it transfered...

When i caught my new PB (beat out the one in the above story by a few pounds+) i was out with my friends and i thought about what happened with my previous PB and decided to try and get a weight on him (bottomed out the scale i had w/ me, only 13lb scale...) and release him safely back into the water to breed again and enjoy himself... It made me feel good about it...

I've also caught IGFA State line Class records for my state (its not hard to beat no record) and seriously considered taking it the hr down to the official weigh stations for certification and such and well i decided against it because i didn't really have anyway way to keep the fish alive to get down there and then back up to the river i was fishing... (6lb on 4lb test and 8 lb on 12lb test, i know not monsters but i'd be in the record books)

IGFA also has a program for you to get your own personal scales checked and certified for accuracy but you need to be a member to get it done i believe... Check them out...

Oh IGFA= International Game Fish Association

7. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    CPR :cool: ;) :D

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Be armed with all the info ya need to know about the records for the state ya are fishin in. Includeing the process that needs to be followed to report it. Have all the info on hand as far as phone numbers are concerned so ya are not there scratchin your head sayin "What do I do now" If properly prepared ya could more than likely prevent the death of a fish that is not the record. I'm a total CPR fisherman. But, if I have a new record in my boat its gonna die. Check your states DNR web site. I know that mine clearly spells out what needs to be done and the contacts that are needed to be made. The MODS took the time to put together one hell of a section here on the board for locating this info.

9. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    If I caught the state/world record fish I think I can have it weighed , certified and released before it dies. I'm normaly against it but If I thought there was a chance the fish would die, I might consider putting it in an aquarium, Cabelas is 15 min from my fishing spot and has a mobile tank to transport the fish in .

I also carry 150 lb scales,cell phone and the wardens number just in case. There was a blue caught in My home waters last summer that was 93 lbs one lb shy of the state record, so I know the potential is definatly there.

Wiht my dream of wanting to guide some day I would almost have to get the fish to a scale!! Betcha could really get a guide service going quick if You caught a world record!!!!!

10. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Talk about a tough question. Well i can't say i'd blame anyone for keepin it. I'd burn a whole role of pics on him thats for sure. I think i'd come to the realization that he deserves to be back in the river from which he was born. I really don't think my name in that book would matter that much. Most everyone here on the boc would deserve it more than i. It would definitely be a humbling experience. After releasing i'd beach the boat on a sandbar and take it all in for the rest of the day......................

It really doesn't matter if hes 100 or 2 pounds. I've yet to catch a flat fishin the big river all this year. Ask me whether i'd want to catch a 40 pd blue or a 3 pd flat and my answer would surprise you! LOL

11. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    well jack
    if i knew the fish would die then i would picture measure weigh and release. but if i caught one in my river, it would be tied up rope in lower jaw. i would then notify the dnr to come out. while waiting a (trusted)freind could bring a transporting tub for the journey to the scales, if needed.<--fantisy scenario lol

i have seen people truck big fish around just to show off. this activity pisses me off to no end!!!!!!! it takes a damn fool to do such a thing. they mess with it for a day or 2 then think it will live when they toss it back in. around here there is no reason to keep a large non record fish,because of the polution. i see stupid people keep these fish and feed the family with it too. i guess they think the fish consumtion addvisory is a government scam to keep us from enjoying fish meat. lmao hopfully these morons will die off from the toxins they consume. lol sorry but as you can gather it REALLY REALLY pisses me off!!!!!!

nuff said have a great day CPRers. hehe

12. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    Id call everyone in my cell phone to grap anything or anyone they could to accurately weigh and record it then throw it back in :D

13. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Three rivers, I know what my answer would be. That mighty mississippi has some monster flats man. They are in there trust me. You keep fishing and I bet you get one this year. Use big skip heads and fish cover. As far as the world record, I am like the rest of these guys. I have a set of 125lb scales, and a 100gallon livewell. Flats stay alive better and are not as delicate as those blues are. Main thing is keeping the water changed out and keeping aeration on the big boy or girl. But if it came down to it, I would take some pics and let the big yellow go. No sense in killing a big fish over pride!!!

14. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    hey flathunter, flatheads are so tough and honery, ive always said if ya left one out of water too long it would just grow legs and walk back to the water! just carry a leash and a collar with ya!! hahahaha! but seriously, i have contemplated this question quite often. i think i would put it on a stringer ( a good heavy duty one) secure it good and go for help. if your not too far from civilization you might get someone to come to where you are and help ya out. but like many others have said, you should know all the procedures and such for verifying the fish ahead of time. this year i am going to invest in a 100 gallon feeding tub to carry in my jeep just in case. the place i fish isnt that far from wear i park so it wouldnt be too difficult to transport a bigun. i am also investing in a larger landing net. i would hate to have the big one on and not be able to land it. that would suck!! anyway i wish all you guys great luck in your pursuit! hopefully before too long one of us will be posting a story of a new CATCH AND RELEASE record. peace.

15. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Easy: I would keep it in the water, hopefully via the hoop rope method not ta stringer, then tell my mentor to go to the leg work on getting a certified scale & ODN officer. :happ-big: Oh yea..... I would continue to fish while he is doing all this.

16. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

I guess I'd have to go with the moment. I can't predict the future.

Ray

17. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I have the number for the DNR biologist in my wallet and have talked to him about this very thing. He said that if I did in fact catch one of these fish during the day, to call him and he would drop what he was doing and get there as soon as he could. If it was caught at night(in the twilight hours) he said just tie it off to a tree or other stationary object with about 20ft of rope til morning and call him. He said to find 3 wittnesses to verify it's weight. He also siad that it could be taken to a grocery store to be weighed on their certified scales to make sure before I called. So in the case of me catching one I am covered.

So be prepared for it if it does happen to you or the fish will die and that is a bad thing in my book.

18. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    No brainer, CPR, fifty years from now nobody is going to know who you are in the record books anyway. It's all just for pride anyway. I caught a 9# Largemouth late fall of 04 and thought about having it mounted, decided he would do better to be back where he belonged. Didn't have a camera then and a lot of people didn't believe me. Doesn't matter, I know I caught it and that's all that matters to me. I now have a camera along. Turn them loose then you have a chance of doing it all over again.

19. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Last year I caught the potential ohio state record largemouth bass in a castnet, needless to say I released it also.

20. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    can you imagine all the unwanted publicity your river/stream would get if you would have caught the state record bass? i can just imagine all the folks tryin to find the area that 86lb was caught in!